Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brian53713
    Solar Fanatic
    • Oct 2016

Or if you own the house, others must adapt somewhat . And consider ones conservative attempts and influences, a carbon offset.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Brian53713
      Or if you own the house, others must adapt somewhat . And consider ones conservative attempts and influences, a carbon offset.
      My guess is that you are not married and do have any children at home. Setting house rules is not always easy especially if you are at work 12 hours a day.

Comment

• Zoar
        • Jan 2017

Originally posted by SunEagle

My guess is that you are not married and do have any children at home. Setting house rules is not always easy especially if you are at work 12 hours a day.
        Indeed, Yes. Hahahaa. I must laugh because my current girlfriend despite being about 97 pounds takes arguably the longest showers in recorded history! I have never known anyone who takes longer showers thus my jet pump runs and runs and runs... She also flushes the toilet 15 to 20 times a day, and I wish I was exaggerating... She also has a very dense head of hair so the hair dryer goes into extra long duty. (and I do NOT go to the laundromat. I have a washing machine and have not even been inside a laundromat since I lived in Massachusetts well over 20 years ago)

Yet, even with all that power consumption, I still have power in winter in Western NY State with my off-the-grid solar / battery system when she visits. Normally 2 to 5 day stints.

However, I do hear you --- it can be a challenge to get others to adopt a more conservative power consumption lifestyle. I have discussed with her about changing her practices and she agreed that she would not. (haha) I guess the one I thought she could work with me on was the flushing of the toilet every time she went pee. She absolutely refused. It was a not negotiable matter. I have noticed she has decreased her showers from maybe around 25 minutes to under 20, so some progress.

Hence from my personal experiences, living off the grid does not need to mean intense sacrificing or even adopting unreasonable frugal practices as so many people claim.

My current situation with a girl friend who uses quite a bit of electric power is testimony to this. While she does not live here 365 days a year she is here often and as indicated stays up to 5 day stretches so that is substantial and not a fact easily dismissed.

Last edited by Zoar; 01-13-2017, 11:23 AM.

Comment

• littleharbor
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2016

I've never thought of changing out the girlfriend/spouse as a conservation measure but in your case that is exactly what it would be. lol
          2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by littleharbor
            I've never thought of changing out the girlfriend/spouse as a conservation measure but in your case that is exactly what it would be. lol
            I have found that the wife is more understanding and most time cooperates with my energy conservation ideas. The hard part is getting our adult daughter (who does not pay the elec bill) into understanding lights and fans do not need to be on 24/7.

It is almost as bad as when my teenage sons lived with me. Although I could convince them a little by reducing their allowance if I saw them wasting electricity.

Comment

• Brian53713
              Solar Fanatic
              • Oct 2016

I pay conservation (protection ) $'s to my girlfriend and her sons , when I see efforts and results.

Comment

• Zoar
                • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Brian53713
                I pay conservation (protection ) $'s to my girlfriend and her sons , when I see efforts and results.
                Wow, modern day bribery practices... I thought just reminding them when they left the bathroom, hall and outside lights on when going out for the night was enough. Hahaha

Comment

• J.P.M.
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Zoar

Wow, modern day bribery practices... I thought just reminding them when they left the bathroom, hall and outside lights on when going out for the night was enough. Hahaha
                  Lock up and control access to the energy sources. Use the tough love scenario. Worked for me many years ago. (Just be prepared for consequences.)

Comment

• SunEagle
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by J.P.M.

Lock up and control access to the energy sources. Use the tough love scenario. Worked for me many years ago. (Just be prepared for consequences.)
                    I have been there and done that. The results were a big OUCH for me.

Comment

• Zoar
                      • Jan 2017

Indeed, I just increase my system! It was preferred over the "consequences"...

Comment

• J.P.M.
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2013

Well, with nothing much left to lose - try the aversion therapy method - liberal application of a cattle prod.

Comment

• SunEagle
                          Super Moderator
                          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Zoar

Indeed, I just increase my system! It was preferred over the "consequences"...
                          While increasing the size of the pv system may help out with people's lifestyle, IMO it just digs a bigger hole for some people in both cost and reliance on something that will only produce 33% of the time.

I still believe in reduction first before enlarging but again that is my comfort zone and not someone else's.

Comment

• SunEagle
                            Super Moderator
                            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by J.P.M.

Well, with nothing much left to lose - try the aversion therapy method - liberal application of a cattle prod.
                            Hmm. The cattle prod probably has a longer reach then that frying pan I get to know personally.

Comment

• Zoar
                              • Jan 2017

While increasing the size of the pv system may help out with people's lifestyle, IMO it just digs a bigger hole for some people in both cost and reliance on something that will only produce 33% of the time.

I still believe in reduction first before enlarging but again that is my comfort zone and not someone else's.
                              Oh, I hear you. Them running out of water (again) causing me to dash out to the power house in horrific weather to turn on the generator to pump water up to the cistern has had a good affect on helping to educate others about consumption. And yes I do gently remind them when they have left something on like lights. Also I put motion detection lights in various places, like in the hallway or all along two sides of the house outside that go on and turn off by motion. THIS alone has reduced many "quarrels". And yes setting the example by NOT being a big power user has had, in general, positive influence, although it does seem some people are generally disposed to be more oblivious. One girlfriend and her daughter simply could never remember to shut off lights after they left a room (or hallway). And more than once left the outside light switch on (even though there was a separate bank of motion detector lights). This is partly what prompted me to increase the amount of motion activated lighting inside and outside my home.

Comment

Working...