Gas Generator->Battery Bank->Inverter System with Auto Gen Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Generator->Battery Bank->Inverter System with Auto Gen Start

Hi all, this is the system I want to setup in the next 2 weeks. I collect food scraps from restaurants and compost about 50 tons of it per week in a field. I have power from a solar charged battery bank that I built 3 years ago. With this system I want to build eventually I will add solar charging, but at the moment I need to limit my investment and see what my future needs are. Right now I need a gas generator.

Gas Generator: Champion 3100watt
    http://www.championpowerequipment.co...rter/#features
    Yes I know it is not as good as a honda.
    Yes it will just barely run my Harbor Freight 120V 90amp Welder
    Yes it has wireless auto start which is the reason I want it because I could eventually set it to auto start off a unit like a Magnum Gen Auto Start.
    Yes it is relatively cheap.

Battery Bank:
    I have a 3 yr old 24V 10kwh bank that is probably at 60% capacity, so more like 6kwh capacity now. (4x US Battery L16 HC XC)
    Currently my solar array charges it at a rate of up to 40 amp/hour on a sunny day.
    My solar array is a separate system that will be receiving a new battery bank of (8x US Battery L16 HC XC)

Inverter/Charger:
    This is the unit I have not picked out yet. I would like one that can...
    -Takes 24V DC power
    -Control the charging from the generator to the battery bank
    -Provide ideally 2000W of regular AC, good sine wave power. I'm flexible on the wattage.
    -Optional: Has a built in Auto gen start feature.
    -Optional: Has a built in Low Voltage Disconnect that can be tuned to 22 or 24V. My current inverter LVD is at 20.5V which is too low, so I own a separate $200 LVD.

Questions:
    Is there another gen set with auto start that couple couple with a unit that detects low voltage to start a gen?

What inverter/charger is good for this system?

What inverter/charger is cheap for this system?

Thanks for your help,
    Andrew

The Outback FX2524 is a good 2500 watt 24 volt inverter; it will also handle generator start for you.

Comment

Thanks, with that inverter I would have access to the GenAlert function built in, But if I wanted more advancded Gen Start criteria then I would need to purchase a MATE. I think GenAlert would be enough since i just want it to run on a low voltage situation. Seems that the FX would require that my generator be a 2 wire start system.

The Champion generator I am looking at has a wireless key remote to start the genreator. I would guess that means it is a 2 wire system, though I may be wrong. Can you suggest other generators that are either 2 or 3 wire? Thanks.

Comment

You would need the mate to program and monitor the system. It comes with the flex power versions of the outback inverter. It will also come with the shunts, breakers, battery monitor and charge controller all configured.
        OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Ok so the FX version comes with all those features, thanks.

Any ideas on other generators that have auto start? Or can one just use any generator with a push button electric start?

Comment

Originally posted by ABruso View Post
            Any ideas on other generators that have auto start? Or can one just use any generator with a push button electric start?
            There are thousands of generators with auto start. I like the Hondas (especially with propane conversions) but they are pricey. If you end up with a three wire start there are plenty of boxes out there that will take a contact closure (2 wire start) and turn it into a 3 wire start.

Comment

Working...
            X