• Show
Clear All
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by jflorey2

Yes. See above. If you have trouble scrolling, see below:
    ==========
    If you want to do this you'd almost have to run two separate circuits to the two separate inverters - one for your saw/compressor and the other for everything else. Inverters do not like seeing voltage on their outputs when they are off. And a transfer switch isn't really designed to switch every time you turn your saw on.
    What I was envisioning was a pair of Anderson connectors each sized for the correct amps for the specific inverter wattage and wired to through a fuse to the battery terminals.

Most of the time the smaller wattage inverter would be plugged into it's Anderson connector and when needed the large inverter could be plugged into it's Anderson connector.

The biggest issue would be the chance of over using the battery with the larger load or leaving the larger inverter plugged in which would slowly drain the battery even if there wasn't any load on it.

IMO I would just fire up a small gen set and run the compressor or whatever the large watt load is on that since it is just a short duration. But again it is the OP's money to burn.

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

With his grossly undersized battery wil not matter how it is wired, as soon as he hits the battery with a large load his Inverter is going to trip off-line from undervoltage. Let him learn that lesson the hard way by loosing his money. Loosing a lot of money is a great teacher you cannot ignore or get away from.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Sunking
        With his grossly undersized battery wil not matter how it is wired, as soon as he hits the battery with a large load his Inverter is going to trip off-line from undervoltage. Let him learn that lesson the hard way by loosing his money. Loosing a lot of money is a great teacher you cannot ignore or get away from.
        As I said before. Sometimes people do not want to hear what you have to tell them. They must experience it first hand to learn.

There is a way to perform the task the OP has asked about but as you and others have mentioned the side effect could result in a premature dead battery.

Comment

• jflorey2
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by SunEagle
          What I was envisioning was a pair of Anderson connectors each sized for the correct amps for the specific inverter wattage and wired to through a fuse to the battery terminals. Most of the time the smaller wattage inverter would be plugged into it's Anderson connector and when needed the large inverter could be plugged into it's Anderson connector.
          You'd also need a switch on the inverter outputs - and you'd have to ensure that you never turned on both inverter outputs at the same time.

Most cheap inverters I've seen (and this guy almost surely has the cheapest of cheap inverters) go to a pretty low power state when their switch is turned off. One cheap Chinese inverter I had used the switch to disconnect the housekeeping supply from 12V - which turned off the FETs, and which brought the input to basically zero. So if you connected them both to the battery, then just turned one or the other off via their onboard switch, then you'd get most of the benefit. And if you connected only the high-load outlets to the high power inverter, you'd have pretty straightforward control of the system.

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by jflorey2
            You'd also need a switch on the inverter outputs - and you'd have to ensure that you never turned on both inverter outputs at the same time.

Most cheap inverters I've seen (and this guy almost surely has the cheapest of cheap inverters) go to a pretty low power state when their switch is turned off. One cheap Chinese inverter I had used the switch to disconnect the housekeeping supply from 12V - which turned off the FETs, and which brought the input to basically zero. So if you connected them both to the battery, then just turned one or the other off via their onboard switch, then you'd get most of the benefit. And if you connected only the high-load outlets to the high power inverter, you'd have pretty straightforward control of the system.
            That is a possible solution.

Although not knowing what type of inverter the OP was talking about I felt the best would be to just disconnect the unit not being used. Then there would be no question it could draw any wattage even if it is "turned off".

Comment

Working...