• Show
Clear All

• Off the grid solar System for workshop

System for workshop:

2 x 210w 24v panels.

1 x 2000w modified sine wave inverter

6 x 100 amp hour 12 V batteries

1 x 30 amp charge controller
    Old workshop/small barn previously wired for AC (Old wiring, no ground wire ).

30 amp AC disconnect switch to outlets, lights, and switches .

I'm pretty familiar with the solar panels to charge controller to battery bank to inverter however I am a little uneasy about wiring an inverter to an old two wire system. Obviously I do not want to rewire the whole shop but want to be as safe as possible. There will be no AC power to the shop anymore and I'm not subject to any building codes. Any help on best way to connect inverter to shop outlets etc. would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

How do you plan to wire all these 12v batteries. Too many to wire all of them in series. If you did two series banks, then in parallel, you would end up with 36v non standard voltage for off grid. If you wire all in parallel you will be replacing these batteries ever year. Are these batteries deep cycle batteries or CCA batteries? All batteries new? All batteries matched? If you have not bought any of this junk, STOP!, Take your time and read. If you already own this, I would only use 4 of these 12 volt batteries wired in series into a 48 volt inverter. or you could purchase another 2 batteries and run two strings of 48v paralleled. I am guessing by the list you plan to run a 2000 watt inverter from 12 volts with a bunch of paralleled batteries and that is going to be a huge mistake.

Comment

• ButchDeal
      ButchDeal commented
      Editing a comment
      not to mention that there is not enough solar with 410w to charge that much battery.

Stop! Stay connected to the grid. Nothing you have will work or was made to do what you want. Everything is way to small, you need to scale up 10 or times in size with completely different equipment. So stop before you loose a few thousand dollars. Trust me when you learn what it will really take, you will forget about all about Solar. Every choice you made was dead wrong, and there is no way it will work for the purpose you intend.

I am not going to bother with what it will take to do what you want because once you know the cost, Solar idea is DOA. How about 8 to 12 times more than you have planned of 10 times the cost. Then in a few years you replace the batteries which make up half the initial cost.

So take my advice. Reconnect to the grid and go about your life. You have nothing to gain going off grid voluntarily. It would be foolish.
    Last edited by Sunking; 10-03-2016, 04:34 PM.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Whoa.
      Stop.
      Alto
      Halt

3 big problems
      1) mod sine inverter. Poor choice for shop tools and poor choice for safety ground, Cannot be grounded, and will always have 60V from either wire to ground.
      2) poor battery choice, too many in parallel
      3) Not enough solar PV to properly charge that size of battery bank
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
      X