Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jnj6370
    • Jul 2016

60 cell, 250w grid tied panels used in off grid system

I just read in the general discussion forum that 60 cell panels are considered 20v "nominal" panels", that does not have ample voltage to properly charge a 24v battery bank. Is this true? Just to get a proper answer about my panels, They are 60 cell 250 watt
    Pmp 250Wp
    Voc. 37.0
    Isc. 9.081A
    Vmp 30.0V
    Imp. 8.108A
    Maximum system voltage. 1000 VDC
    Maximum reverse current. 10A
    And the model No being 20250 sounds like 20v 250 w

I hope I don't have to start over with questions. But here it goes.
    This system is not wired up yet but consist of 4 of these 60cell 250w panels that y'all will decide what the best way to wire together into a Renogy commander 40 amp MPPT12/24 CC, 24v battery bank=10-12v 100Ahr batteries wired in series, Xantrex statpower 800w/24v inverter, all will be wired with 6 gauge copper.
    Should I still just look at this as a 1000w pv array. And wire the panels in 2-sets consisting of 2 panels in series then wire both sets parreled into the CC?
    Believe me, like I said the more I read the deeper it gets. But not going to assemble the system until I get the go ahead.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Jnj6370; 08-26-2016, 09:23 PM.
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

It takes 33 or more volts to charge a 24 volt battery, but that is a moot point. Wire your panels 2 x 2 and use a MPPT controller.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Jnj6370
      • Jul 2016

OK, That's 2 panels wired in series & the other 2 panels wired in series then both "sets of 2 panels" wired Neg to Neg and Pos to Pos into the charge controller.

Great. Here's another question... When wiring batteries or panels in series, the volts add and the amps remain the same. And in parallel just the opposite amps add volts remain the same. So maybe if I looked at these panels as if they were batteries 1-37V 9.1A battery and I'm gonna wire in series 2 of these batteries to make 1-74V 9.1amp battery, or in my case "panel". Is this correct? And if I took 2 of these 74v 9.1 and wired them in parallel I should have 1-74v 18.1 amp panel. But now I'm thinking that the MPPT CC is gonna change the tip a bit and discharge it in the best way for my battery bank to store.
      If this is wrong, Please don't get aggravated with me. Trying to,learn here. But thanks for trying to help me.
      Last edited by Jnj6370; 08-27-2016, 02:08 PM.

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

I need to educate you as to what some of the specs are and mean
        Voc. 37.0
        Vmp 30.0V

Voc is Voltage Open Circuit. Generally early morning, before the charge controller wakes up, the panel produces this much voltage. When the controller wakes, this voltage needs to be lower then the "kill" voltage of the charge controller, or else the first cold morning (panel voltage increases in the cold) you can easily fry your controller.

Vmp Voltage Max Power When things are running along mid-day, this is the voltage the panels produce the most power at, and can be relied upon.

So when stacking panels in Series, you use the Voc to stay below the max limit of the charge controller
        Since a 24V bank can require 32V to EQ, you can assume that a volt or 3 will be lost in the controller, and you need a couple volts more than 32v Vmp to be sure to properly charge. If your conditions are real hot, remember, if panels produce more voltage when cold, the also produce less voltage when hot, On a rooftop. Baking in the sun, the Vmp will droop a bit
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Jnj6370
          • Jul 2016

Thank you for that info. I really do appreciate all the help.
          James

Comment

Working...