Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Algonam
    • Aug 2016

Electromagnetic radiation - looking for info

Hi, I'm new to this and am considering going to solar if we can produce enough safe electricity to keep us going. We're currently off grid and considering an off grid system with an automatic generator backup. Our concern is lack of information on the level of harmful electromagnetic radiation given off by the inverter and any other parts to these systems. I keep hearing about this but don't know how this EMR from a solar set up compares to everyday EMR from cell phones, cordless phone, microwave ovens, wifi, cell towers etc.
    Any and all info is appreciated.
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Based on the IEEE requirements for all US equipment which are required to have UL listings, solar inverters will not produce any harmful EMR. You will get more harmful radiation standing outside under the sun without using any type of sun block or protective clothing.

Anything you have heard about harmful EMR being emitted from solar inverter equipment comes from people that do not understand the technology and are easily scared or misled because of that lack of knowledge.

Comment

• solarix
      Super Moderator
      • Apr 2015

The people fearful of EMR can't prove that it is harmful. The manufacturers can't prove it is not harmful - therefore the controversy.
      My considered opinion (and I used to work as an avionics EMI tech) is that I wouldn't worry about it.
      I can tell you that the EMI from solar equipment is low frequency unlike the very high frequencies used by cell phones etc.
      There are a lot of things in this modern world to be fearful of (Donald Trump/Hillary Clinton/ etc) - EMI from solar equipment is not one of them
      BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• bcroe
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2012

I would be FAR more worried about a cell phone at your ear, esp in the country where the distances require more power.
        You are not usually in proximity of solar inverters, the frequencies are less of an issue, and the ones I have tested were
        far below anything that could be considered dangerous. Probably house wiring is "more dangerous". Check around it
        with your AM and FM radio; if they will work in the vicinity, you have nothing to worry about. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Algonam
          • Aug 2016

Thanks for the replies. More info: There is currently an old 70's home made off grid system we are using at this home for now. (we just bought the home) Is there a testing device I can purchase, rather than use a radio? If the radio makes static, then what?

Comment

• peakbagger
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jun 2010

Be careful, you are getting into tinfoil hat territory. There are plenty of websites that cater to poorly educated folks cranking up their paranoia and then gladly selling them something. Unless you understand what the meter results are indicating buying a meter is useless.

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

[QUOTE=peakbagger;n326440] There are plenty of websites that cater to poorly educated folks cranking up their paranoia and then gladly selling them something.

Kind of like more than a few solar peddlers, shills and scammers selling overpriced and oversized PV to energy addicted and poorly educated homeowners ?

Comment

• bcroe
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jan 2012

In the radio biz power levels can run from Voice of America 1,000,000 Watts to a
                microwave oven 1000 W to a cell phone 1 W to receiving an FM station 0.000,000,001 W.
                Exactly which decimal place, at how many hours a day is "harmful", isn't established, but
                its pretty obvious that a cell phone is a much greater threat than signals from radio
                stations hitting you 24/7. I expect you can operate your radio until you are at least quite
                close to your PV equipment. At the point where PV interferes, it still is only a little stronger
                than those 24/7 radio stations, and far, far away from a cell phone. Bruce Roe
                Last edited by bcroe; 08-13-2016, 12:30 PM.

Comment

• sdold
                  sdold commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The most dangerous frequency range is about 90 MHz.

• jflorey2
                  jflorey2 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No, the most dangerous frequency is not 90MHz. The most dangerous frequencies out there are above 24000 terahertz (i.e ionizing radiation.) The most common source of this sort of radiation is sunlight.

• sdold
                  sdold commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It is if we're just talking about non-ionizing radiation, the kind that does its damage by heating. But you make a good point, it's probably more dangerous to stand in the sun than in front of the inverter.
                  Last edited by sdold; 08-17-2016, 09:33 PM.
              • Algonam
                • Aug 2016

OK, So I tried plugging in a clock radio into an extension cord. With the inverter "off" I have perfect AM and FM reception.

With the inverter "on", AM sounds like I'm right under high tension wires and gives me loud humming static with no chance of receiving anything on AM.
                FM picks up interference up around 105 on the dial.

What does this mean to me now? Should I have tested with a battery charged radio?

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Algonam
                  OK, So I tried plugging in a clock radio into an extension cord. With the inverter "off" I have perfect AM and FM reception.

With the inverter "on", AM sounds like I'm right under high tension wires and gives me loud humming static with no chance of receiving anything on AM.
                  FM picks up interference up around 105 on the dial.

What does this mean to me now? Should I have tested with a battery charged radio?
                  That "noise" or "interference" is more than likely being generated on the electrical power lines that are shared by the AM radio and the inverter and not being transmitted through the air as radio waves.

Try the experiment again with a battery operated radio to see if you get the same static.

Also remember that AM radio is the most susceptible to interference by random "noise" being generated by all types of devices including electrical motors like fans and even old car alternators. That does not mean the RF is dangerous.
                  Last edited by SunEagle; 08-17-2016, 09:20 AM. Reason: added last sentence

Comment

• Sunking
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2010

Here you go. All anyone needs for EMR protection.

Last edited by Sunking; 08-17-2016, 01:50 PM.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

• J.P.M.
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Sunking
                      Here you go. All anyone needs for EMR protection.

Careful; you'll be accused of showing off and talking over peoples' heads again.

Comment

• Johann
                        • Feb 2013

If you are 4-5 feet away from the solar equipment, you should be ok. If needed you always can mount your inverters and charge controllers in a metal box
                        There are also electrical filters that can be used on wires.
                        MPPT charge controllers and full sine wave inverters generate more noise.
                        And if you worry, you always can use a metal conduit so your wires can not act as an antenna or put radio magnetic fields out and you can cover the wall and ceiling and floor and windows and doors of your solar room with sheet metal to reduce radio magnetic's to leave that room.

Comment

• solarix
                          Super Moderator
                          • Apr 2015

Radios are extremely sensitive to EMR and are not a reasonable test of how noisy a solar inverter is. Think about it - a radio tuner is picking up on the radiation from a transmitter that is miles and miles away. The received signal level is infinitesimally small.
                          BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• sdold
                            • Jun 2014

What's the make and model of the inverter?

Comment

Working...