Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • matthewlee
    • Jul 2016

I could use some help relating to inverters

So i have 400ah worth of batteries at 12v and 600watts in solar panels charging them my question is this my 5kw generator kicked the bucket the motor blew i dont have the money to fix it the rest of the genny is fine , around the same time my inverter kicked the bucket too can i rip the inverter off my generator and hook it up to my batteries ? because again im tight on money and im in a jam any help wwould be much appreciated...p.s im new here
  • ButchDeal
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by matthewlee
    So i have 400ah worth of batteries at 12v and 600watts in solar panels charging them
    600w of PV is not really going to charge 400ah of batteries.
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• matthewlee
      matthewlee commented
      Editing a comment
      thats why i had a generator for when my batteries got low ...its a work in progress im building up to more panels

• ButchDeal
      ButchDeal commented
      Editing a comment
      they problem is that you really don't have a solar system. You have a generator with battery system. Without the generator you have no way to charge the batteries.
      A proper off grid system should have enough solar to charge and maintain the batteries and the generator is just there for backup and occasional high use.
      As it stands, you NEED the generator and now you likely have to replace the generator and batteries and still need more PV to maintain the batteries
  • Logan5
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2013

what are/were you running from the inverter?

Comment

• matthewlee
      matthewlee commented
      Editing a comment
      small fridge , led lights , and a 40" led tv maybe 3 hours a day , oh and a modem and router
  • smily03
    • May 2015

Do gensets even have inverters? Mine's just got the mechanical generator hooked up to the driveshaft of the engine...not really an electronic "inverter," more of a mechanical alternator.

Comment

• Logan5
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2013

I have been looking at the EU3000 more than enough and quite. is an inverter generator. 49db @ 1/4 load, up to I think 59 db full load. nice neat package with electric start.

Comment

• Logan5
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2013

do you have a multi meter to check each battery? maybe nothing wrong with inverter, just LVD due to overly discharged state. sounds like after your genny stopped topping batteries off, inverter stopped. got to be a reason. I bet it's LVD

Comment

• Logan5
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2013

Not fixing your generator has likely damaged your battery bank. How old are the batteries? were they a matched set new? You have oversized battery bank and undersized array. w/o generator bad combination.

Comment

• Logan5
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2013

you should have disconnected everything until the genny was repaired, now you have to replace all the batteries too.

Comment

• Raul
              Solar Fanatic
              • May 2015

Guys , read the OP's first line of his post. 400ah @12v so he need 40a for c/10. He's got 600w of Pv and that's a potential of c/8, more than enough if he's using a proper mppt charger; or I'm missing something?

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

inverter generators use high voltage poly phase alternators to create the DC for the inverter, so NO, you cannot pull parts from the generator to make the damaged inverter work. Sorry. Inverters and generators are not mix and match, swap parts, or DIY There is too much engineering inside them to just "seat of the pants" fix it. A bad fuse or diode can be repaired, but when a bank of MOSFETs and their driver boards are blown, it's new inverter time,
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• matthewlee
                  • Jul 2016

fixed my inverter two caps were blown , it was an easy fix also my batteries are fine...i do have a multimeter and they are new two 200ah 12v in series btw after taking apart my geny i realized it was an ac electrical generator hooked up to the motor , afterwards i felt stupid ,either way its gona go to good use i have a god stream that always flows about the same speed im gona hook it up to so i can get some hydro power ..thats gona be a task in its self also my pv normaly covers my energy needs i just have the genny as a aback up im hoping the hydro will work out though so i can get an some cold ac in my cabin

Comment

Working...