Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Technologist
    • May 2016

Originally posted by joerossjr

Thanks for that info! I wish I'd have known that 2 months ago!! I keep coming back to Aliexpress in my hunt for a 24V 500W inverter. Their site just looks a bit shady. Are they reputable?
    It's like a Chinese Ebay. You have to pick the reputable sellers that have a proven history of shipping quickly and delivering as promised. Use a credit card so you can dispute if needed. Study the sellers ratings, longevity comments and feedback. Also realize that saving $50 up front on a $200 item might cost you in the end if you need to pay cash to ship it across the world for warranty work hoping that it arrives safely and that it gets returned to you working again.

I ordered 400 Watts of these for an electric bike trailer I’m building. $133 a panel total price shipped each and they were delivered in 8 days to the USA. On Amazon with local shipping they would run about $188 per panel. It’s a fine line where to make the call. If the panels were $150 each in China I would have ordered from Amazon at $188.
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-...624379843.html

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Technologist

You’r referring to the older Tracer 4210RN there's a newer model just out that is far superior to the RN. It's the Tracer 4210A. It's programable including user adjustable voltage output to the batteries, a 20ma self consumption so no longer are you stealing those 5 watts or 120 watt hours a day from the batteries like on some of the other MPPT charge controllers.

The load out is now a full 40 Amps instead of 20. The controller can handle 520W/1040W instead of 400W/800W.
      Tracer 4210A 40A 520W/12V,1040W/24V 2720W
      It has a multi-function LCD display with Real-time energy statistics. claimed 99.5% MPPT efficiency with up to 98% conversion efficiency and a host of other user programable features. It’s claimed to be reverse PV and battery polarity protected and short protected but I haven’t made those blunders to know how it holds up.

I picked one up from China for $153 shipped with the external MT50 back-lit display, external temp sensor, USB programming cable
      http://www.aliexpress.com/item/40A-12V-24V-New-Tracer-4215A-40-amps-Programmable-MPPT-Solar-Charge-Controller-Boost-Float-Low/32553829121.html

Tracer 4210A User Manual:

http://www.aasolar.co.nz/Instruction...A%20Series.pdf
      Actually that unit looks more suspicious then some of the other cheap MPPT CC. I would really caution anyone to thoroughly check out the components and abilities of that unit before spending any money. For a 40Amp rating it looks very thin to include the properly rated MPPT components.

Comment

• Technologist
        • May 2016

Originally posted by SunEagle

Actually that unit looks more suspicious then some of the other cheap MPPT CC. I would really caution anyone to thoroughly check out the components and abilities of that unit before spending any money. For a 40Amp rating it looks very thin to include the properly rated MPPT components.
        There's a teardown on web of that model and it's legit. I also did an efficiency test and it pulled right at 97% using Power Analyzers on the PV side at 20.5v Voc (corrected to 18 Vpmax) input and 12v battery output side comparisons. Doing the MPPT tracking efficiency would be a little more difficult but it was very quick to zero in when I was swapping panels. The weight bare is almost 5 pounds.
        Last edited by Technologist; 05-18-2016, 12:05 PM.

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Technologist

There's a teardown on web of that model and it's legit. I also did an efficiency test and it pulled right at 97% using Power Analyzers on the PV side at 20.5v Voc (corrected to 18 Vpmax) input and 12v battery output side comparisons. Doing the MPPT tracking efficiency would be a little more difficult but it was very quick to zero in when I was swapping panels. The weight bare is almost 5 pounds.
          Ok. Sounds like they did a good job with the upgrade. Anytime I see an MPPT CC rated 30A or more for less than $200 my "spider sense" goes off to warn me about false advertising.

Comment

• joerossjr
            • May 2016

Ok, I have replaced all the crappy batteries with an Exide 115AH deep cycle from Home Depot. As was said, I probably need more input than a single 24V 100W panel to charge/maintain it. So I bought a cheap charger, then saw the post warning AGAINST chargers of that type... (I keep learning AFTER I need the knowledge... the definition of experience.)

So... That thread is a few years old.. any new recommendations for a charger? I almost bought a Tecmate-Optimate 6 (as was recommended) but figured I'd ask to see if there was any newer recommendation. Thanks!

Comment

• Logan005
              Logan005 commented
              Editing a comment
              I have two AC powered battery chargers, I very much like the Samlex 2415, 24 volts @ 15a, I also like the Stanley 6, 12, 24, 36, 48 volt smart golf cart battery charger. The 2415 is a fixed unit I use to maintain home brew UPS, was tested yesterday first time since install. The stanley is an awesome portable unit. both can be run from a quality generator for emergency service and maintenance.
          Working...