Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unknown
    • Apr 2016

MPPT maximum battery voltage

EDIT* In case someone comes looking. I've found a few of them, but I'm not entirely sure if they're reliable or if they can reach 96v. I've attached a excel file with what I found. I've also attached a possible alternative which uses two mppts to charge a 72v battery bank. The same can be done for 96v

We're building a project that would involve the use of multiple solar panels. It's supposed to be of high efficiency, so we'll be using MPPTS. The batteries that we'll be charging with the panels are supposed reach values of up to 100 volts.

My question is whether there are MPPTs in the market that can reach that value(at least 96v). I've been searching everywhere and the highest I've seen is just 72v

I'm sorry if I made mistake, especially in the location of this thread. I'm new here

Edit*
    We're making a solar powered car, so I think the best way to describe it is that it's a hybrid. It will be initially charged from an external source. The solar panels will just aid in extending the range it can travel by charging the batteries as it drives.

We're students from the Philippines, and the estimated kWh the motors alone will be 30kWh at maximum . That already took into account the recommended fudging. We'll be using 24 ETFE 50W solar panel
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Unknown; 04-27-2016, 09:36 PM. Reason: I improved the question so it would be more clear. I also added the options that I found and the alternative.
  • solar pete
    Administrator
    • May 2014

Howdy Unknown and welcome to Solar Panel Talk.

To be able to help we need heaps more info. We need to know what is it you are trying to do? Is it a totally off-grid or hybrid. What is your location? Most important, how many kWh (kilowatt hours ) a day does your system need to produce? What is the type of solar panels and battery we need specific info

The short answer to your question is yes there are MPPT's that can deal with 100 volts but in off grid solar you need to work in Watt Hours, I will shift this to the off-grid section for now, do your self a favor and start reading up stickies in the off-grid section, cheers.

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Unknown
      We're building a project that would involve the use of multiple solar panels. It's supposed to be of high efficiency, so we'll be using MPPTS. The batteries that we'll be charging with the panels are supposed reach values of up to 100 volts.

My question is whether there are MPPTs in the market that can reach that value. I've been searching everywhere and the highest I've seen is just 72v

edit* I would also like to ask for the meaning of nominal system voltage

I'm sorry if I made mistake, especially in the location of this thread. I'm new here
      You are looking gin the wrong places, aka cheapo knock-offs. . Any decent MPPT controller is 150 volts and newer ones 600 volts.

Midnite Solar start at 150 volts up to 250 volts. Morning Star is 150 and 600 volts. Even Schneider makes a XW 80-600 MPPT controler
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• Unknown
        Unknown commented
        Editing a comment
        I thought those were referring to the voltage input from the solar panels?

What I was looking for is an MPPT with a high enough voltage range to match the battery
    • Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Not sure why my post is UNNAPROVED, but any decent controllers are 150 and 600 volts like Midnite Solar, Morningstar, and Scneider XW.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• solar pete
        Administrator
        • May 2014

Howdy SK, I have been messing around with the number of links that can be in a post, currently its set to 2 links before being directed for moderation, we are looking at ways to deter spammers, I will approve your post, and we are looking for a better solution to stop any new members from being able to post a url

Comment

• Unknown
          • Apr 2016

We're making a solar powered car, so I think the best way to describe it is that it's a hybrid. It will be initially charged from an external source. The solar panels will just aid in extending the range it can travel by charging the batteries as it drives.

We're students from the Philippines, and the estimated kWh the motors alone will be 30kWh at maximum . That already took into account the recommended fudging. We'll be using 24 ETFE 50W solar panel (link below)

I'll add this to the original post so that it would be clear to everyone

MIOD NOTE. Please do not attached advertisement links without first getting permission from the Admin.
          Last edited by SunEagle; 04-27-2016, 08:55 AM. Reason: removed advertisement link

Comment

• Mike90250
            • May 2009

So, you are looking for a MPPT controller that can charge 72V battery bank ? or Larger ?
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Unknown
              Unknown commented
              Editing a comment
              Larger. Up to 96 at least
              I've done a bit of reading, and it seems 72v is the largest for commercially available ones. Is this true?
          • Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by solar pete
            Howdy SK, I have been messing around with the number of links that can be in a post, currently its set to 2 links before being directed for moderation, we are looking at ways to deter spammers, I will approve your post, and we are looking for a better solution to stop any new members from being able to post a url
            I can help you there. Send me a email.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

Midnite Classic series go up to 120 volt battery.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

• Unknown
                Unknown commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm pretty sure they can only reach up to 72v. I've contacted Midnite solar and they confirmed that their Classic can only charge up to 72v battery bank at the most.
            • Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

Interesting because their own documentation clearly states the 250KS has 12-120 volt battery support. See for yourself. Scroll down to page 2 and look at the 250KS Graph, and comparison chart below that.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

• Unknown
                Unknown commented
                Editing a comment
                You're right. Maybe they told me it was only until 72v because the 250KS isn't being sold anymore. Checked their website and it said that that model has been discontinued
            • Unknown
              • Apr 2016

Is it feasible to just connect multiple 48v mppts in series?

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Unknown
                Is it feasible to just connect multiple 48v mppts in series?
                Well you have to determine if it feasible or not. However the question you should be focused on is would it work? Just off the top of my head I say no.

One of the issues is I think Midnite Solar bonds the Negative Polarity to Chassis Ground. That being the case when you connect the two batteries in series you would short out one half of the battery bank and you have Great Balls of Fire.

However if the chassis floats, it would be possible. But even then you have a huge challenge balancing the two batteries.

If this is a engineering assignment, you can easily build a 96 volt charge controller. If it were Me I would use a different approach . I would use either 48 or 72 volts using a HPEV AC Induction motor model AC9 for 48 volts, or AC15 for 72 volts. I use the AC15 in my racing golf cart at 96 volts, The AC9 and AC15 are the same motor with a different controller. AC9 constant HP at 48 volts is 9 and peak is 28 hp with 650 amp controller. The AC15 is rated 15 HP continuous, and 60 peak.

If budget is tight there are tons of 48 volt Series Wound DC motors for golf carts out there.

Good luck.
                Last edited by Sunking; 04-28-2016, 11:21 PM.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

• Unknown
                  Unknown commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the response. I'm gonna keep researching on it
              Working...