Can a gaming PC run solely on Solar system?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by drhosamhb

Thanks for your informative input SunEagle.
    Thats exactly what I am looking for, an estimation and a rough calculation of how big the solar system should be.
    ​But if I may ask, why shouldn't I discharge the batteries more than 25%? As far as I know, good quality AGM or gel batteries can handle up to 80% discharge of its total capacity without affecting its lifespan or battery cycle expectancy. In addition to that, AGM and gel batteries can live a minimum of 5 years if cycled correctly. Please correct me if I am mistaken there.

The other point there is I will use this system for a maximum of 2 years and maybe less and it will be too heavy and space occupying to take it anywhere.

Given all of that, will it be efficient if I a built a system based on the expectation to discharge 50% of its capacity everyday? (i.e a 8000-12000wh)?

I appreciate your assistance.
    The 25% discharge is a really good spot to stop for FLA type batteries. Yes you could discharge more but it really comes down to what the battery manufacture provides in their specification. In most cases a higher % discharge usually results in less cycles before the battery is considered "dead". Although that usually means it can no longer get charged above 80% of its rating and will be less likely to provide the power needed. Another point is that the manufacturers stated "cycle" life might be more than actual due to real life usage instead of lab tests.

The choice of using a smaller battery system and discharging it to 50% is yours. As long as you also accept that the battery life will be shortened.

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by drhosamhb
      Well, first reason is if I want to buy an equivalent laptop it will cost me far more than 1500$ and a big solar system will not exceed the 1000$ mark here.
      Excuse me? You are done here. With Off-Grid Solar cost is no issue. It means you have more money that you know what to do with. Assuming your puter uses 100 watts ran for 12 hours, your battery cost alone is $1000 up front, and they need replaced every few years. At a minimum you are looking at $3000 to $5000 just in solar and batteries. This will never happen.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by breddiskirmen
        You're in the middle east and fuel is very expensive there?
        This is an old thread and you have elected to copy what another has already posted. We are aware and will ban you if you are about to add a spam link to your post.

Comment

• organic farmer
          Solar Fanatic
          • Dec 2013

Every year I attend one of our local Ag fairs that focuses primarily on off-grid homesteading. they normally display EV farm tractors and various solar and wind setups. While attending the workshops, I have met with a number of homesteaders in my area, who have photo voltaic arrays of less then 1,000 watts. The only thing these people use electricity for are comms and laptops.

There are a couple of statewide events each year, where farms on solar power are encouraged to sign-up to open their farms for farm tours. I have does this a few times. We often get people who are interested in off-grid solar power. Very few of them are interested in having a system as large as my system is. Most seem to be focused on much smaller systems.

They have no interest in having a dishwasher, washing machine, or dryer, refrigerator or freezers.

Whereas my wife would be lost without our chest freezers.
          4400w, Midnite Classic 150 charge-controller.

Comment

Working...