• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • erikrhendrickson
    • Nov 2010

Kyocera KD205GX-LPU for Novelty Use.

I have the panel who's stat's are here:

It is a Kyocera KD205GX-LPU.

All i want to know is what charge controller, inverter and battery set up I should get.

I have been researching around but it seems nothing is really clear cut when it comes to solar panels.

I plan to mount the panel to a board, fabricate a metal enclosure and seal it with silicon and a glass cover, and use it sparingly at events and expo's to power a Macbook Laptop (60W), a set of Speakers (80W max). or to charge cordless drill batteries, power small tools...etc. Just little one-time things, not a permanent installation.

I want the whole rig to be mobile, and I have an entire welding fabrication and machine shop with metals at my disposal This means I will be making a rolling water-tight case for batteries and components.

That being said...I was looking at this for the charge controller. Morningstar SunSaver-10.

or this: HQRP

Thanks for the help in advance.
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

This panel is for grid tied systems. It can be used for a battery system, but only if a MPPT controller is used in a 12 volt battery system.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• greenHouse
      Solar Fanatic
      • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Sunking
      This panel is for grid tied systems. It can be used for a battery system, but only if a MPPT controller is used in a 12 volt battery system.
      Nonsense. That panels works just fine with an inexpensive PWM charge controller. The only thing that will happen is he'll lose some of the potential power. He can get full power from an MPPT controller, but it sounds like his needs aren't all that great.
      Julie in Texas

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by greenHouse
        Nonsense. That panels works just fine with an inexpensive PWM charge controller. The only thing that will happen is he'll lose some of the potential power. He can get full power from an MPPT controller, but it sounds like his needs aren't all that great.
        No nonsense and you know it. If the guy followed your directions using that panel with a PWM on a 12 volt battery system he will loose around 50% of potential power. Using a MPPT no more than 10% from panels to battery.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• greenHouse
          Solar Fanatic
          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Sunking
          No nonsense and you know it. If the guy followed your directions using that panel with a PWM on a 12 volt battery system he will loose around 50% of potential power. Using a MPPT no more than 10% from panels to battery.
          You told him he can't use it, not that he'd waste power.

And you might want to learn how to spell. The word is "lose", not "loose". Perhaps if electrons were cats and they got "loose" or something he might "lose" them.

Oh, and commas are your friend.
          Julie in Texas

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

Julie get off my back, So your advice is go ahead and use a 26 volt panel on a 12 volt battery system with a PWM charger. That is terrible advice and would likely burn up the charge controller.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

Originally posted by erikrhendrickson
              I have been researching around but it seems nothing is really clear cut when it comes to solar panels.
              This is absolutely true ! I now see 2 great folks arguing about who will burn what first.

All I can offer is what I would do, to get the best harvest.
              Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT 15A controller. Pricey, but will squeeze every watt out of the panel.
              Morningstar SureSine 300W sine inverter. It sips power, won't burn out tool chargers like a mod-sine inverter can, and can surge to 600 w for 10 min. Pricey too, but you get what you pay for.
              There is a lot of crap for real cheap on ebay if you want that route.

I own and use both of these, installed in a remote tool shed. I never have any doubt they will be working at anytime

A PWM charger may or may not smoke itself connecting to a 12V battery and high voltage panel, but you WILL only get half the power the panel is rated for.
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• greenHouse
                Solar Fanatic
                • Dec 2009

Mike,

I think you're making the same mistake as Dereck. This isn't an "every watt matters" set up, or even a "permanent installation" setup. The OP wants to use a solar panel, from time to time, to power a few things.

As for the SureSine, sweet little inverter -- if I can ever scrap the batteries I used when I was working on grid interactive work, I'll put one in the "new" battery shed so I have power in the event the unthinkable happens to my GVFX3648's. I don't scribble much about my products here, but I do have monitoring kit for the SS 300 as well as the other MS products, and MS is sending me samples to get more of their products supported.
                Julie in Texas

Comment

Working...