Starter panels need opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter panels need opinions

I am considering purchasing four 100-120 watt panels to charge my experimental off grid battery bank of four 6 volt batteries, may consider adding two more 6 volt batteries.

Are these panels any good for a basic 400-600 amp off grid system???

http://www.dmsolar.com/solar-module-1.html

Originally posted by BillN View Post
    Are these panels any good for a basic 400-600 amp off grid system???
    The question does make any sense. 400-600 amp what?

As for the panels would be fine for something like a garden shed or detached garage. Since the panels do not appear to have any UL or any other Testing agency certification there is no code compliant way to use them as part of your homes premises wiring system. Now if they are used in a log cabin or remote home that does not have building codes or the structure is not covered under insurance they are fine.

Back to the 400 600 amp thing. Batteries and solar panels are sized based on you daily watt hour usage and location.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

The web site says 'ETL/TUV/CE/IEC Approval' one place and 'dmsolar modules have been certified by UL, TUV, CEC and FSEC!' another place.

In a couple of their their grid tie packages they offer an 'Ontario' package that has Canadian Solar panels - and at 2.85 per watt - mounting materials not included.
      package contents:
      * 48x230W Canadian Solar 230W poly panels. CEC PTC rating: 211W!
      * 2x Sunny Boy SB5000US inverter
      * 1x Sunny Beam Bluetooth
      * 2x Sunny Beam Com Card
      * 2x HU361RB SQ-D 600V 30A AC/DC disconnect switch
      * 4x 100'#10 AWG cable with MC4 connectors
      * 2x Delta LA602DC Lightning Arrestor, 600VDC

What about the Canadian Solar panels?
      What about the inverter?
      Russ
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

DM Solar panels are on the List of Eligible SB1 Guidelines Compliant Photovoltaic Modules for California.

http://gosolarcalifornia.org/equipment/pv_modules.php

Russ
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
          The web site says 'ETL/TUV/CE/IEC Approval' one place and 'dmsolar modules have been certified by UL, TUV, CEC and FSEC!' another place.
          OK my bad, I missed it.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

[QUOTE=Sunking;14921]The question does make any sense. 400-600 amp what?

Sorry Sunking, I should have specifies that I would be using the panels to charge a 400-600 amp bank of 6 volt golf cart batteries.

For now this is just an experimental setup to gain experience and curb my curiosity. I will use it in my garage to power a small radio, a couple of 20watt florescent lights and at times various power tools.

Comment

Originally posted by BillN View Post

Sorry Sunking, I should have specifies that I would be using the panels to charge a 400-600 amp bank of 6 volt golf cart batteries.
              Getting warmer, but I think I might understand. Do you mean a 6 volt battery bank rated at 400 to 600 Amp HOURS?

In other words 2 - 6 volt @ 200 AMP HOUR batteries in parallel to make 6 volts at 400 AMP HOURS?

If so there is a problem. Where are you going to find a 6 volt charge controller? Sorry to be nick picky, but it is not clear what you are trying to do.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                Getting warmer, but I think I might understand. Do you mean a 6 volt battery bank rated at 400 to 600 Amp HOURS?

In other words 2 - 6 volt @ 200 AMP HOUR batteries in parallel to make 6 volts at 400 AMP HOURS?

If so there is a problem. Where are you going to find a 6 volt charge controller? Sorry to be nick picky, but it is not clear what you are trying to do.

4 - 6 volt @ 200 AMP hour batteries, 2 in series (12 volts @ 200 AMP), two sets of 2 in series 6 volt @ 200 AMP hour batteries in parallel to create a 12 volts @ 400 AMP hours battery bank.

Add another set of 2 in series 6 volt @ 200 AMP hour batteries in parallel to create a 12 volts @ 600 AMP hours battery bank.

Getting tied, hope my reply makes sense.

Bill

Comment

Yes that makes sense. But to answer your original question, no one can answer because we do not know how much energy you will use each day. 12 volts @ 400 Amp Hours gives you the capability to use about 1 Kwh per day at most. Th epanel wattage needed to do that depends on you location.

If all you want to do is keep the batteries charged and not use them very much, you can keep them all charged up with a 20 watt panel. If you want to use 1 Kwh per day in Seattle you would need 1250 watts. Or in Phoenix 280 watts.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
                  X