X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hammick
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2015

Conext SW 4048 inverter: Power up without batteries or PV array to test

My SW4048 inverter, Charge Controller and breakers are arriving today. They will be installed in my remote barn which is 1,100 miles from where I live. I would like to power up the inverter and charge controller to check the firmware, make sure none of the equipment is DOA.

Will I damage the inverter or charge controller if I power them up with no batteries connected or PV connected?

The SW4048 can be grid tied so I guess the batteries are optional anyways.
    Conext XW5548
    Conext MPPT60-150
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

Originally posted by hammick
    The SW4048 can be grid tied so I guess the batteries are optional anyways.
    I am not so sure about that. A hybrid inverter is designed to work with batteries and an optional grid and/or generator connection. I suspect that without batteries there will be no power to the control circuitry.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• hammick
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2015

Originally posted by inetdog
      I am not so sure about that. A hybrid inverter is designed to work with batteries and an optional grid and/or generator connection. I suspect that without batteries there will be no power to the control circuitry.
      Thanks. I called Schneider and they said it requires batteries to power up. I'll read through the install manual again.
      Conext XW5548
      Conext MPPT60-150

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

4 cheap 12V batteries from even a junk yard, as long as they can supply at least 12V each, should let it power up with defaults.

Beware, it may try to charge batteries after it boots up, so you want to use the SCP or ComBox to quickly program it, so you don't boil small batteries nearly instantly.

When DC power is removed, all settings reset inside the XW, so it will revert to factory defaults, even if you program it, there is an advanced pair of scripts you can DL from Schneider's website, to store and update the settings with a thumbdrive and the combox
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• hammick
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Mike90250
          When DC power is removed, all settings reset inside the XW, so it will revert to factory defaults, even if you program it, there is an advanced pair of scripts you can DL from Schneider's website, to store and update the settings with a thumbdrive and the combox
          Yikes. I though all settings were retained after programming with the SCP.

I'm skipping the Combox for now since I don't have an internet connection at my place. Schneider will mail out an interface device for free if firmware updates are needed.

My batteries will be here in a few weeks so I can wait until then.

Thanks.
          Conext XW5548
          Conext MPPT60-150

Comment

• Mike90250
            • May 2009

Originally posted by hammick
            Yikes. I though all settings were retained after programming with the SCP.....
            Surprised me too, but the ad men will say anything
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

• hammick
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2015

Surprised me too, but the ad men will say anything
              Hopefully the latest firmware fixed this. There are a lot of settings to go through.
              Conext XW5548
              Conext MPPT60-150

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

firmware can't fix volatile RAM. That's why they have the READ and the WRITE scripts

ComBox-App-Note-Copy-Settings976-2105-01-01_Rev-A.pdf

The Schneider site is so script driven I could not get a usable URL

look under Technical Publications

But with a SCP, none of that works. SCP is a dumb box. Combox ethernetted to a wireless router, lets your computer or android view and change all sorts of settings.

Comment

• hammick
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jul 2015

firmware can't fix volatile RAM.
                  Just go off the phone with Schneider tech support. They are adamant that the SW4048 has non-volatile ram. In fact they said all their Xanbus devices have non-volatile ram.

I'll report back on this in early December after I install everything. This is going to suck if I have to reconfigure everything each time I bring the inverter online.
                  Conext XW5548
                  Conext MPPT60-150

Comment

• Mike90250
                    • May 2009

SW vs XW, the XW I have does not retain anything. Maybe the SW does.

Comment

• hammick
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jul 2015

SW vs XW, the XW I have does not retain anything. Maybe the SW does.
                      My fingers are crossed. The manual for the SCP also says "non-volatile memory"
                      Conext XW5548
                      Conext MPPT60-150

Comment

• hammick
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jul 2015

I have my SW4048 and SCP powered up in my garage and making power. I can confirm that both have non-volatile memory and retain all settings after being powered down.
                        Conext XW5548
                        Conext MPPT60-150

Comment

• Riley5781
                          • Dec 2015

Hi Hammick - I have some questions for you but with no PM support, can you email me?
                          my "junk" email is brokenarrow8421@gmail.com . if you email me there, I can give you a better one....

Basically I am curious about the size, number and type of your solar panels.
                          Last edited by Riley5781; 02-20-2016, 03:15 AM.

Comment

• hammick
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Riley5781
                            Hi Hammick - I have some questions for you but with no PM support, can you email me?
                            my "junk" email is brokenarrow8421@gamil.com . if you email me there, I can give you a better one....

Basically I am curious about the size, number and type of your solar panels.
                            Riley I sent you an email but it was rejected. Text of my email below.

I was up at my place recently for 10 days and my solar is completely installed and working great. I’m very pleased with the Schneider equipment.

I have six Solar World 285w (SW285) panels in two strings of three.

I was seeing as high as 23 charging amps in full sun from 12:00 -– 2:00 p.m. Pretty good for this time of year."
                            Last edited by hammick; 02-22-2016, 02:13 PM.
                            Conext XW5548
                            Conext MPPT60-150

Comment

Working...