X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thastinger
    Solar Fanatic
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by RatedPG
    I asked them for a system that would be sufficient for my power needs. Why would they propose one that wouldn't provide such power for the duration I specified.

If they refuse to honor my order cancelation, I will use this as my grounds for the dispute. What do you think?
    You can't fit your power needs into one of those suit cases. Your battery bank is going to weigh a thousand pounds right by itself.
    1150W, Midnite Classic 200, Cotek PSW, 8 T-605s

Comment

• lkruper
      Solar Fanatic
      • May 2015

I asked them for a system that would provide my power needs. Why would they propose one that wouldn't provide such power for the duration I specified.

If they refuse to honor my order cancelation, I will use this as my grounds for the dispute. What do you think?
      If they proposed a system to meet the needs you outlined in your email, then yes.

Just the AC
      ===============

A 12X12 room requires 9000 BTU unit
      1kW= 3412 BTU
      9000 / 3412 = 2.63 kWh

Solar Generator = 5 kWh (for one hour)
      So, it would run the AC for a little less than 2 hours.

Also, keep in mind that the 5000W is based on a load that is a 20 hr spec.
      You will get less expending it all in 2 hours.

Check my math

Comment

• RatedPG
        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by thastinger
        IMHO you're off on the wrong foot. You are not asking the right questions. You should be approaching this as a "What is the most feasible and economical way to power this list of items in a grid down scenario" instead of predisposing yourself to the use of solar.
        The reason why I opted for solar (with the possibility of adding wind) is that I wanted a system where I would not need to buy any consumable fuel like petroleum or natural gas. If I had a stream next to me, I'd go hydroelectric.

I'm getting this back-up power system for a possible scenario where other fuel sources may not be available.

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

I asked them for a system that would be sufficient for my power needs. Why would they propose one that wouldn't provide such power for the duration I specified.

You might have a leg to stand on or maybe they can just delay and hope you go away. Currently they seem to be hard to get hold of so IMO it might be hard to even get them to the litigation table.

One thing I have found through researching prepackaged "solar generators" is that they will either claim to provide a lot more kWh then the batteries can or the pv wattage is too small and can't replenish what is used on a daily basis. Most if not all of those packages were very over priced for what they provided.

That was the reason I went forward and built my own. Although even with some knowledge I did not procure the correct hardware and over spent. But at least I didn't expect to run a lot of my electrical loads from either of my two small solar generating systems so while expensive it was not a game stopping event.

Comment

• thastinger
            Solar Fanatic
            • Oct 2012

The reason why I opted for solar (with the possibility of adding wind) is that I wanted a system where I would not need to buy any consumable fuel like petroleum or natural gas. If I had a stream next to me, I'd go hydroelectric.

I'm getting this back-up power system for a possible scenario where other fuel sources may not be available.
            Other sources of fuel not available for how long?

Comment

• RatedPG
              • Aug 2015

Other sources of fuel not available for how long?
              For an unknown amount of time... months, years... I don't know.

Let's just put it this way. I want to have a system that will provide power should all other generating options be unavailable. Let's just say it's an end of civilization kind of thing. (Any fellow preppers/survivalists here?)

When my batteries go bad, then it's back to the stone age.

Comment

• SunEagle
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

Let's just put it this way. I want to have a system that will provide power should all other generating options be unavailable. Let's just say it's an end of civilization kind of thing. (Any fellow preppers/survivalists here?)

Well maybe back to the 18th century. But IMO electricity would be a much lower priority then other things needed for survival if that SHTF event should happen.

Comment

• thastinger
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Oct 2012

So you start to get into another scenario for which there are other forums to address. To do what you want, I'd delete the AC, convert a 11(ish)cubic ft chest freezer to act as a fridge and buy another chest freezer to be a freezer. The chest freezer converted to fridge is much more efficient because all the cold air doesn't rush out when you open the door, they consume .5KWH/day to operate and are simple to convert. You'll have to start paying close attention to the energy labels on appliances, that dorm fridge you have are typically very inefficient.

Comment

• lkruper
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • May 2015

So you start to get into another scenario for which there are other forums to address. To do what you want, I'd delete the AC, convert a 11(ish)cubic ft chest freezer to act as a fridge and buy another chest freezer to be a freezer. The chest freezer converted to fridge is much more efficient because all the cold air doesn't rush out when you open the door, they consume .5KWH/day to operate and are simple to convert. You'll have to start paying close attention to the energy labels on appliances, that dorm fridge you have are typically very inefficient.
                    Or put the fridge in the 12X12 room and when it gets hot, stand in front of it and cool off with the cold air that rushes out

Comment

• lkruper
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • May 2015

Your scenario is similar what I am in the process of doing at my grid-connected cabin. I don't consider myself a survivalist, but I do think that this winter El Nino could cause power outages and potentially strand me for days at a time. So here is my plan:

1) Phase I - Acquire a generator and manual transfer switch. Store 10 gallons of gas and get a siphon for the car just in case. (Power for 5-10 days)

2) Phase II - Acquire batteries, battery charger and inverter. - Allow for quiet power at night and also extend gas by charging batteries and then shutting down generator. (Maybe gain 10-20%?)

3) Phase III - Add solar panel and charge controller. - To provide for long term outages - (Power, but less than generator. Potentially lose refrigeration, but keep Sattelite TV, DSL modem and computers and some lights)

It is critical to know all the loads and calculate hours of run time for each appliance. Conservation is also key. Get energy efficient fridge, lights, etc. Stock up on batteries for lanterns and have backup oil lanterns and oil which don't require electricity. I have just completed Phase I.

Comment

• RatedPG
                        • Aug 2015

To do what you want, I'd delete the AC, convert a 11(ish)cubic ft chest freezer to act as a fridge and buy another chest freezer to be a freezer. The chest freezer converted to fridge is much more efficient because all the cold air doesn't rush out when you open the door, they consume .5KWH/day to operate and are simple to convert.
                        A chest freezer would be my minimum requirement. I can do without a fridge. I could just make ice in the freezer and use it to cool whatever needs short-term cooling in one of those 3-5 day coolers.

I would still need to power my Mac and iOS devices. My libraries are in those devices.

I'll wait and see what happens to this order I just canceled, then I'll start asking help here to build my own solar power system.

Comment

• RatedPG
                          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by SunEagle
                          Well maybe back to the 18th century. But IMO electricity would be a much lower priority then other things needed for survival if that SHTF event should happen.
                          Yeah, I hear you on that one.

That way I see it, if **** does hit the fan, I'd just try to hold on to whatever comfort and convenience I could have for as long as I can.

My friends are actually warning me about this plan. They say I'm just making myself a target by having a power source in an apocalypse scenario.

Comment

• RatedPG
                            • Aug 2015

Originally posted by lkruper
                            Potentially lose refrigeration, but keep Sattelite TV, DSL modem and computers and some lights)

In a prolonged, wide-scale power outage, I don't think there will be reliable Sat TV and Internet service. Those are the first things I'd be giving up if things go bad.

Comment

• SunEagle
                              Super Moderator
                              • Oct 2012

Yeah, I hear you on that one.

That way I see it, if **** does hit the fan, I'd just try to hold on to whatever comfort and convenience I could have for as long as I can.

My friends are actually warning me about this plan. They say I'm just making myself a target by having a power source in an apocalypse scenario.
                              Having the only power generating source in the neighborhood can make you a potential target.

See the way I look at it is that after a hurricane (you and I live in Florida so you should understand) the power could go out for days so some form of generator is a must but power will come back before my food and water run out.

For a SHTF event what will you really need the power for? TV, Cable, Cell phone and all other types of broadcast entertainment will not be working. Having power to keep the food cold is nice but a prepper doesn't rely on mechanical ways to keep food from spoiling. Power would be nice to run a fan or AC or heater but again a prepper is supposed to be able to handle all environments and survive without mechanical (or electrical) support.

So having an emergency power source for the short periods of the grid going down is not only smart but practical if you determine what you really need and spend your money wisely. I have both solar and fossil fuel power generators available to me.

Having power if the grid is down for a long time is trying to cling to a luxury when other things should be higher on the priority list.

So back to what you need. If you can calculate how many watt hours you really need to use in a day then a battery solar battery generator can be designed and although expensive should meet your needs.

Comment

• lkruper
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • May 2015

In a prolonged, wide-scale power outage, I don't think there will be reliable Sat TV and Internet service. Those are the first things I'd be giving up if things go bad.
                                Who knows? The Satellite will still be flying in a power outage. Maybe not if we are attacked by Romulans

Where does the programming come from for Directv? Not locally I would presume. Might there be emergency broadcasts? I think that is likely. I agree that the internet could easily go out, but a month ago the power went out and I still had internet on my DSL, so I will provide the 11 watts necessary just in case.

Comment

Working...