Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimmyh
    • Jul 2015

Need advice on proposed wiring using Busbars

Please see schematic. Not really interested in discussing system size, just how I intend to connect everything through the two busbars. Is this a descent layout, or should I run from controller straight to batteries and not through busbars. With the busbars I can make this a really clean woring setup without a bunch of wired going in and out of battery banks. Help!
    Attached Files
  • jimmyh
    • Jul 2015

Updated image

sorry, here is the full diagram
    Attached Files

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

it "looks" mostly OK. but be advised when you add the breakers, and fuses for those parallel batteries and panels, it's going to look a lot different.

I'd suggest sketching it all up before spending any $ on it.

That's a really large system for 12V, I really hope you are not intending to run a inverter larger than 1Kw from it.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• craftycrafter08
        craftycrafter08 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi mike, just wanted to ask about your comment ''That's a really large system for 12V, I really hope you are not intending to run a inverter larger than 1Kw from it.''

why would it be a problem to run an inverter biger than 1k from it?? is it because its a 12v system??

i currently have 2x 100 watt panels at 12v and im upscalling to a totall of 4x 100 watt, and upgrading my inverter to 1.5k pure SW.

can you shed a bit of light on that for me.

thanks
        rob
    • sensij
      Solar Fanatic
      • Sep 2014

Kind of a waste of batteries to wire them all in parallel like that. Put all 8 in series and operate at 48 v and it will look better.
      CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• jimmyh
        • Jul 2015

I have a 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter, it is 12v, so I am kind of stuck in 12v world. My house in Baja is very low usage, I doubt I will ever use over 400 watts at once. attached is unfinished, but pretty much laid out..
        Attached Files

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

I see a very high chance that all of those batteries will not be charged or discharged equally based on the number of parallel paths and different lengths of wire between the each set.

I understand the desire to go with a 12volt system because of your inverter. Not sure if you really need that 1740Ah sized system but you could have gotten an 1100Ah 12volt system by using 6 x 2v 1100Ah Trojan L16RE batteries all wired in series.

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

Pretty antiquated system with PWM controller and battery panels running 12 volts. You could not have picked a more expensive, inefficient, and trouble prone system if you tried.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

• jimmyh
              • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Sunking
              Pretty antiquated system with PWM controller and battery panels running 12 volts. You could not have picked a more expensive, inefficient, and trouble prone system if you tried.
              But I'm trying so hard!

Comment

• mapmaker
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2012

Originally posted by SunEagle
                I see a very high chance that all of those batteries will not be charged or discharged equally based on the number of parallel paths and different lengths of wire between the each set. I understand the desire to go with a 12volt system because of your inverter. Not sure if you really need that 1740Ah sized system but you could have gotten an 1100Ah 12volt system by using 6 x 2v 1100Ah Trojan L16RE batteries all wired in series.
                I agree that parallel batteries are very poor design, and I agree that 2 volt batteries in series is a much better design. But I don't like those particular 2 volt batteries. Those Trojans are actually three cells in parallel per battery... three times as many cells to check and water. --mapmaker
                ob 3524, FM60, ePanel, 4 L16, 4 x 235 watt panels

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by mapmaker
                  I agree that parallel batteries are very poor design, and I agree that 2 volt batteries in series is a much better design. But I don't like those particular 2 volt batteries. Those Trojans are actually three cells in parallel per battery... three times as many cells to check and water. --mapmaker
                  The OP is using 8 x 6 volt 435Ah batteries and will have problems with how he wired them up. IMO dealing with 3 cells to check water level in a high quality battery is worth it.

Comment

• jimmyh
                    • Jul 2015

Actual bank is 240amp x 8 = 1120, not 1740. image is example, Array is currently wired in parallel 12v.

Panel specs: (4) 100 watt 12v. Max volts: 17.4 Max amps: 5.75

Just trying to figure out if it is worth going to 24v on panel wiring or just keeping it at 12v. It has worked flawlessly for 3 years with a cheapo controller, but I am upgrading to the Xantrex C40 and a better pure sine wave inverter. The old wiring was so mickey mouse that I fried the inverter when trying to move my water pump....don't ask!

This is in a beach house in Mexico that gets uses 1x per month for 5 days. Since weather is an issue I like having a larger bank as security in case of poor charging days with rain and cloud cover.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by jimmyh
                      Actual bank is 240amp x 8 = 1120, not 1740. image is example, Array is currently wired in parallel 12v.

Just trying to figure out if it is worth going to 24v on panel wiring or just keeping it at 12v. It has worked flawlessly for 3 years with a cheapo controller, but I am upgrading to the Xantrex C40 and a better pure sine wave inverter. The old wiring was so mickey mouse that I fried the inverter when trying to move my water pump....don't ask!

This is in a beach house in Mexico that gets uses 1x per month for 5 days. Since weather is an issue I like having a larger bank as security in case of poor charging days with rain and cloud cover.
                      Ok. Your math does not make sense. Not sure how you get a bank of 8 x 6v batteries rated 240Ah to equal 1120Ah? Do you mean 1120Ah / 8 = 140Ah batteries?

If those are 240Ah 6v batteries then your system is wired as a 12volt 960Ah. If they are 140Ah batteries then you have a 12volt 560Ah system.

Comment

• mapmaker
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2012

Actual bank is 240amp x 8 = 1120, not 1740. image is example,
                        If those batteries are 240 amphour, 6 volt batteries, then your proposed bank is 960 amphours at 12 volts.
                        I doubt it. The max voltage (or Voc) is probably about 22 - 23 volts. I think that 17.4 volts is the Vmp.
                        Just trying to figure out if it is worth going to 24v on panel wiring or just keeping it at 12v.
                        The C40 is a PWM controller. If you configure the panels in series (24 volts) you will lose half your power. An MPPT controller can reduce a 24 volt input to 12 volts while at the same time increasing the current. --Mapmaker
                        ob 3524, FM60, ePanel, 4 L16, 4 x 235 watt panels

Comment

• SunEagle
                          Super Moderator
                          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by mapmaker
                          If those batteries are 240 amphour, 6 volt batteries, then your proposed bank is 960 amphours at 12 volts. I doubt it. The max voltage (or Voc) is probably about 22 - 23 volts. I think that 17.4 volts is the Vmp. The C40 is a PWM controller. If you configure the panels in series (24 volts) you will lose half your power. An MPPT controller can reduce a 24 volt input to 12 volts while at the same time increasing the current. --Mapmaker
                          You are correct. He could wire those four panels 2 in series and 2 sets in parallel to get 35vDC input to charge a 24v battery system but will cut his charging amps from 23a to 11.5a.

That is not enough to charge his battery bank if it is 960Ah or my guess using 140Ah batteries would be 580Ah. That would only get him a C/50 charge ratio which is way too slow. For that matter his Xantrex can only put out 40amps which is still only a C/14.5 ratio which is also too slow.

Depending on what his daily watt hour usage is, and if he wants a 12v or 24v battery system he either needs to make some changes by either reducing his battery system Ah or go with a higher amp MPPT CC and more panel wattage.

Comment

• jimmyh
                            • Jul 2015

Sorry I missed that: Just rechecked the battery specs. 225ah, So 1800ah total

Panels:
                            100 watt
                            Voc: 21.6
                            Isc: 6.32
                            Vpm: 17.4
                            Imp: 5.75

Comment

Working...