Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LETitROLL
    Solar Fanatic
    • May 2014

Just saw one on Lowes website, harbor breeze platinum aniva (52"), 6 speed DC, the specs show max draw is 30W on high, lifetime warranty on motor, $199. The (5) x 90W you currently have is for sure a big cost with your POCO, or solar system.

Comment

• solarix
      Super Moderator
      • Apr 2015

Have you considered doing a grid-tied system using one of the new Sunnyboy TL inverters? They can continue to operate (at a lower 1500watt level) during outages - but during daylight hours only. Way less expensive and more efficient and reliable because there are no batteries. Should be able to run all your fans and light loads. Don't know if you need the fans at night. Could even put in 2 small TL inverters for not much more cost and have 2 x 1500watts of outage power. What is it like to interconnect with the utility in the Virgin Islands?
      BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• RiP-HS-
        • Apr 2015

I'm not sure if I can post this craigslist posting or not. If not, please forgive me.
        I just found this on CL here local.

It does not come with batteries but after emailing the guy he is an installer. Said this system has been around since 2009. He said $2000 with no support/as is for $2900 and he will hook it up and test it before shipping here. He's on a different Island about 30 miles south of us. I did a quick search of the model numbers and came up with about $3800 for this gear. Any thoughts?

I will read and respond to the previous posts this evening, my lunch hour goes WAY too fast.

Comment

• RiP-HS-
          • Apr 2015

Hello Everyone,

I'd like to see what you all think of this gear. I found it on craigslist on another island about 30 miles south of us. I'm sorry if I'm not supposed to post this link.

I emailed the guy and he said it was recently removed from service as the batteries were bad and the owner can't afford to replace them. He is a solar installer and did work on the system and it was originally installed in 2009. He said for $2900 he will hook everything up and test it prior to shipping and provide support to me (phone or email I'm sure) for the install. I did some quick searching of model numbers and came up with a number of $3800 new pricing. Anyone have any thoughts on this set-up?

I'll reply to all the previous posts tonight, my lunch hours goes WAY too fast!

Thanks Again Everyone!

Comment

• RiP-HS-
            • Apr 2015

Hello Everyone,

I'd like to see what you all think of this gear.* I found it on craigslist on another island about 30 miles south of us.* I'm sorry if I'm not supposed to post this link.

4973653017 the number on the vi Craigslist (won't let me put the link)

I emailed the guy and he said it was recently removed from service as the batteries were bad and the owner can't afford to replace them.* He is a solar installer and did work on the system and it was originally installed in 2009.* He said for $2900 he will hook everything up and test it prior to shipping and provide support to me (phone or email I'm sure) for the install.* I did some quick searching of model numbers and came up with a number of $3800 new pricing.* Anyone have any thoughts on this set-up?

I'll reply to all the previous posts*tonight, my lunch hour goes WAY too fast!

Thanks Again Everyone!

Comment

• Amy@altE
              Solar Fanatic
              • Nov 2014

Very nice system, exactly what I was thinking for you. Grid-tied battery back up, So you can make what you make, buy the rest, and have power when the grid goes out for your fridge.
              Solar Queen
              altE Store

Comment

• RiP-HS-
                • Apr 2015

Awesome Amy, thank you for the fast reply. Do you think the price of $2900 is a steal or just average? Hes said he'd sell for $2,000 as is w/out testing before shipping. Do the charge controllers or inverters go bad - is it worth the $900 to have the test and support? Like I said, I did a quick google on on of them model numbers provided and new came up to roughly just over $3800 for everything. I'll post the text of the ad below so everyone can see. I just need to justify it to the wife. There are links in the original craigslist ad I'm sure I'll have to delete before I can make the post.

All major components except batteries, save $1000s on price, also save on electricity bills

Outback GTFX 3048 Inverter/charger
                3,000 watt (6,000 watt surge) 120 volt AC output
                48 volt DC input (battery bank) voltage
                Sealed unit for harsh environments
                Grid interactive, can sell back to the utility and/or off grid/emergency power generation.
                Specs: http://www.outbackpower.com/download...ecsheet_lr.pdf

Outback FlexMAX 60 charge controller (for battery bank)
                60 Amps charger capability.
                Maximum power point tracking (MPPT)
                Specs: http://www.outbackpower.com/download.../specsheet.pdf

Outback Flexpower Fully Integrated breakers/connection/mounting/control system
                Easily mount, connect and protect equipment.
                All properly sized and type breaker and bypass switches.
                Specs (single inverter version): http://www.outbackpower.com/download..._specsheet.pdf

Outback Mate Monitoring and Control Device and Communications Hub
                All equipment connected for control and monitoring.
                Program, control and monitor complete system
                OutBack Power, headquartered in Bellingham, Washington and is the leading designer and manufacturer of advanced power electronics for renewable energy, back-up power and mobile applications. The Company is also a member of The Alpha Technologies -- a global alliance of companies that share a common philosophy: create world-class powering solutions for communication, commercial, industrial and renewable energy markets.

OutBack Power, headquartered in Bellingham, Washington and is the leading designer and manufacturer of advanced power electronics for renewable energy, back-up power and mobile applications. The Company is also a member of The Alpha Technologies -- a global alliance of companies that share a common philosophy: create world-class powering solutions for communication, commercial, industrial and renewable energy markets.

Solar Panels DC Power Disconnect Switch
                As required by electrical codes.

Midnight Solar Combiner Box
                Required to properly connect solar panels

EPSolar Solar Panels
                6 EPSolar 175 watt solar panels.

Unirac solar panel mounting system
                All rails and brackets to mount the EPSolar solar panels to roof/structure.

What else you will need to complete the system:
                48 volt Battery bank (recommend lithium, contact for help sizing/price info)
                Wiring and conduit.

What else may be wanted:
                Additional solar panels and racking depending on your energy needs.

Can help/provide installation and/or permitting also.

Great price for a brand name system

Comment

• RiP-HS-
                  • Apr 2015

I will most definitely be looking into more efficient fans. We do need them at night just to keep the air moving it is cool but humid. Anything leather will look like a chia pet if you don't keep a good air circulation. There is wind here too in the winter (trade winds), which brings up another thought.... we'll save that for another time

As far as the Sunnyboy TL, I just searched it and I'm not quite sure how it works. Does it have built in batteries or capacitors? How does it provide usable power straight from the panels? Honestly, If I'm going to do this, I think I had better stick to mainstream equipment so if I have problems others have been there too.

I just want to say, I lurked here reading posts for a little while before registering. I saw a few replies to several posts that almost made me go somewhere else, I'm glad I didn't. You have all been very helpful, Thank You.

Have a good night! I'll keep checking this post for thoughts on the craigslist ad from my area. I'd be nice to get more thoughts on it so I have some ammo for the wife.

Take Care

Comment

• Amy@altE
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Nov 2014

The SunnyBoy TL is a great product, but it is not battery based, just grid-tied. It does have a very cool feature he was referring to that allows you to plug something into a dedicated outlet that will provide up to 1500W of power if the sun is shining. It passes the inverter power from the panels to that outlet when you flip a switch. Really nice for charging up your phone and radio during an outage, not really what you are looking for.

I personally wouldn't pay $900 for the equipment to be tested, but I'm not sure how old they are. They are all quality components, but the VI is a harsh environment, but the inverter is a sealed one that is great for an island. Again, my personal opinion is it is likely fine, but I'm a cheap New Englander, I may not be the best person to ask. Don't forget you also have to budget in for batteries, not sure what they cost to get good batteries down there.

Definitely also replace your fans, tell your wife I think you have a good plan of attack.
                    Solar Queen
                    altE Store

Comment

Working...