X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Living Large
    Solar Fanatic
    • Nov 2014

Originally posted by donald
    No need to experiment. The vendor should be collecting data from installed systems. Tesla cars have now driven a billion miles. They have charge/discharge data from every battery every day. Many of the stationary lithium ion vendors will probably do the same.
    They better do something proactive, based on what is known currently - unless all is well despite these tidbits.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by donald
      No need to experiment. The vendor should be collecting data from installed systems. Tesla cars have now driven a billion miles. They have charge/discharge data from every battery every day. Many of the stationary lithium ion vendors will probably do the same.
      I used the word "experiment" meaning collecting data from existing installed systems both in the Lab or out in a real life Beta Test.

I agree that Tesla has a lot of real data concerning their batteries. Aquion has not provided much in the way of hard numbers concerning their system chemistry so IMO they are still in the "experimental" stage.

I was hoping Aquion they would prove their battery is a good solution to home energy storage but the Jury is still out on that one.

Comment

• Sundetective
        Solar Fanatic
        • Sep 2011

In spite of it all, for now, Aquion Energy still my man.
        Really not a lot of options at this point.
        Keep hearing about Lithium but things happen with a home set-up
        and it's just too prissy for an old retired survivalist.

NiFe is "if only" probably forever.
        Using them as a Slave Bank or having
        the resources to have 2 Banks using an A, B circulation and reducing
        that 'solar blivet' high voltage down to reduce water consumption
        isn't going to happen.
        Even if you did it the capacity begins to drop
        so you need even more capacity in between boost charges.

Becomes a 'disco inferno' in reverse. Then the electrolyte nightmare.

Good ole Lead Acid is cunnin and I'm grateful for it but it a nasty habit
        unless you can thow AGM money around forever.

So I'm back to waiting on my man at the bus stop with everybody else.
        A little crying once in a while is OK.
        It's for free.

Bill Blake

Comment

• Living Large
          Solar Fanatic
          • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Sundetective
          In spite of it all, for now, Aquion Energy still my man.
          You could put your money where your tears are, by investing in AQ.

Comment

• Sundetective
            Solar Fanatic
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Living Large
            You could put your money where your tears are, by investing in AQ.
            When did Aquion Energy start selling stock ?

Or would Encell Technology in Florida be a better deal
            since the word is they don't have a single NiFe USA battery for sale -
            for months to come.
            Just Links to go ooohh and send a 70% deposit to their salesman
            in Colorado.

Let's just wait and see.

Bill Blake

Comment

• Living Large
              Solar Fanatic
              • Nov 2014

When did Aquion Energy start selling stock ?

Or would Encell Technology in Florida be a better deal
              since the word is they don't have a single NiFe USA battery for sale -
              for months to come.
              Just Links to go ooohh and send a 70% deposit to their salesman
              in Colorado.

Let's just wait and see.

Bill Blake
              I am not interested at all in NiFe. I looked into them and moved on.

I saw where private investors had put money into AQ. You never know - they make take your money. They took Boll Gates'.

Comment

• Sundetective
                Solar Fanatic
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by SunEagle
                I used the word "experiment" meaning collecting data from existing installed systems both in the Lab or out in a real life Beta Test.

I agree that Tesla has a lot of real data concerning their batteries. Aquion has not provided much in the way of hard numbers concerning their system chemistry so IMO they are still in the "experimental" stage.

I was hoping Aquion they would prove their battery is a good solution to home energy storage but the Jury is still out on that one.
                The AltE Store says that Jury is going to stay out for a while as of yesterday.
                There are people that can't forget the fact that the AHI batteries are sealed -
                yet they can still take some abuse.

However Aquion Energy 'can't get no satisfaction' and doesn't want to supply
                the Second Generation units to AltE even though they can make sales
                as we speaks.

Third Generation or bust is the war cry now.
                'Power to the People', including Sunking.

As we know Thomas Edison had 4 years of production before ordering
                the entire Nickel Iron operation closed down because he wasn't satisfied.
                That lasted going on 5 years.

US Government National Park Historians claim that in spite of it all
                The Nickel Iron Battery was Mr. Edisons greatest success
                as far as commercial success goes.
                Period.
                Too bad the Nickel Iron technology is not in step with todays
                generation and the list of problems continues to grow - not shrink.

Years later Edison and his crew including his Legendary Chief Engineer
                still had no satisfaction when it came to working with the US Navy
                so they went into a 'Manhattan Project' mode
                and Laid another
                55,000 experiments onto the badboy NiFe Batteries.

This was 14 - 15 years into production.
                What does this Learn people?

Bill Blake

Comment

• Sunking
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2010

US Government National Park Historians claim that in spite of it all
                  The Nickel Iron Battery was Mr. Edisons greatest success
                  as far as commercial success goes.
                  Period.
                  Well there was once a company called Edison Electric, then some bully called JP Morgan bought it and renamed it General Electric and I hear it was successful.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sundetective
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Sunking
                    Well there was once a company called Edison Electric, then some bully called JP Morgan bought it and renamed it General Electric and I hear it was successful.
                    Yeah, but look at the money the Legendary Nikola Telsa
                    had after messing with Edison ??
                    Could JP compare?

Who has the most big Electric Companies named after dem
                    today?
                    Have you been getting your Google Alerts about all their
                    Huge, and I means huge, mega battery storage plans ?

Not just Edison in Hollywood swingin, Southern California.
                    New York is putting out a rush order for The Con.
                    Con Edison.

Bill Blake

Comment

• Amy@altE
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Nov 2014

The AltE Store says that Jury is going to stay out for a while as of yesterday.
                      There are people that can't forget the fact that the AHI batteries are sealed -
                      yet they can still take some abuse.

However Aquion Energy 'can't get no satisfaction' and doesn't want to supply
                      the Second Generation units to AltE even though they can make sales
                      as we speaks.

Third Generation or bust is the war cry now.
                      'Power to the People', including Sunking.

Bill Blake
                      Just a quick clarification. Aquion is now shipping the S20P, which is kind of a Gen 2.5, not Gen 3. The Gen 3 (S30) will be available end of the year. The S20P will NOT be backwards compatible with their S10 and S20, but will be forward compatible with the S30 when they come out. The S20P has a higher peak power rating (includes a 20A fuse instead of the old 15A), higher voltage window of 40-60V to line up with standard equipment, and a 4 year standard warranty.

altE Store is getting the S20P stacks this week, and the big modules in 2 weeks. Aquion has said the backorder was due to some big orders they had for some large projects, but we don't have details of them, as they weren't through us. We did sell a number of the S20 earlier in the year before they sold out, but I don't have access to any feedback at this time. I will try to get some.
                      Solar Queen
                      altE Store

Comment

• Sunking
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Feb 2010

Yeah, but look at the money the Legendary Nikola Telsa
                        had after messing with Edison ??
                        Could JP compare?
                        JP outsmarted Tesla, Westinghouse, and Edison. Morgan ended up owning it all. Tesla was a brilliant engineer, but dumb as a rock when it came to biz. He died penniless.
                        MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sunking
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Amy@altE
                          Just a quick clarification. Aquion is now shipping the S20P, which is kind of a Gen 2.5, not Gen 3. The Gen 3 (S30) will be available end of the year. The S20P will NOT be backwards compatible with their S10 and S20, but will be forward compatible with the S30 when they come out. The S20P has a higher peak power rating (includes a 20A fuse instead of the old 15A), higher voltage window of 40-60V to line up with standard equipment, and a 4 year standard warranty.

altE Store is getting the S20P stacks this week, and the big modules in 2 weeks. Aquion has said the backorder was due to some big orders they had for some large projects, but we don't have details of them, as they weren't through us. We did sell a number of the S20 earlier in the year before they sold out, but I don't have access to any feedback at this time. I will try to get some.
                          That is the problem 3 now 4 revisions in a year. That is a huge Red Flag something is wrong.
                          MSEE, PE

Comment

• Living Large
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Sunking
                            That is the problem 3 now 4 revisions in a year. That is a huge Red Flag something is wrong.
                            Playing devil's advocate, they have made some key changes, apparently. Voltage window. Warranty.

Remembering the horrible sting of being stuck with worthless mortgage backed securities, and later a Ponzi scheme, and the attractive advertisements that came out just before the hammers fell, I'd understand anyone casting a leery eye. I would, if I were considering them.

Comment

• toothy
                              • Mar 2015

Real life tester AKA guinea pig

I have installed 16 stacks of the S20's I believe that is what you all are referring to as gen 2.
                              I switched over from 1350Ah of Rolls fla's about 3 weeks ago and so far they work just fine. I'm in Seward, AK so the real test is a few months away.

So far I have been treating them as a curiosity and they haven't caused me any stress at all. Actually this is not our best solar period because the sun rises and sets well north of east and west now, pretty goofy I know.

I had them made without the fuses, as how do you check them when they are stacked together and just going into a combiner? And how do you get to the fuse on the back stack? I instead left out the fuses and went to breakers and a pdb block so each stack can be switched off checked and switched back on. I just couldn't figure out how to test individual stacks with the fuse/combiner set up. I haven't tried charging them with the inverters yet, only solar. I have turned off the turbine because I am not worried about making it to float but usually do this time of year.

I run a 48" fridge/freezer a 20+ year old side by side for the beverage cooler and a big chest freezer, a 15gpm Grundfosss 220v water pump and instantaneous propane hot water, along with descent sized flat screens and a few computers and fish tanks. I was going to try welding on them the other day but the need went away.

The hook ups were nice with the MC4 connectors and there is really no way to short them across the posts since there are none, you'd have to get real creative. I made one of those big blue crackly sparks once with the Rolls set, that was some real excitement.

I haven't fully partaken of the Aquion cool aid, but knew I didn't enjoy the flavor of the fla's! My distributor here in Seward, Alaska efficient energy solutions, visited the factory a couple of months ago and thought they looked OK. Time will tell.

Wade

Comment

• SunEagle
                                Super Moderator
                                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by toothy
                                I have installed 16 stacks of the S20's I believe that is what you all are referring to as gen 2.
                                I switched over from 1350Ah of Rolls fla's about 3 weeks ago and so far they work just fine. I'm in Seward, AK so the real test is a few months away.

So far I have been treating them as a curiosity and they haven't caused me any stress at all. Actually this is not our best solar period because the sun rises and sets well north of east and west now, pretty goofy I know.

I had them made without the fuses, as how do you check them when they are stacked together and just going into a combiner? And how do you get to the fuse on the back stack? I instead left out the fuses and went to breakers and a pdb block so each stack can be switched off checked and switched back on. I just couldn't figure out how to test individual stacks with the fuse/combiner set up. I haven't tried charging them with the inverters yet, only solar. I have turned off the turbine because I am not worried about making it to float but usually do this time of year.

I run a 48" fridge/freezer a 20+ year old side by side for the beverage cooler and a big chest freezer, a 15gpm Grundfosss 220v water pump and instantaneous propane hot water, along with descent sized flat screens and a few computers and fish tanks. I was going to try welding on them the other day but the need went away.

The hook ups were nice with the MC4 connectors and there is really no way to short them across the posts since there are none, you'd have to get real creative. I made one of those big blue crackly sparks once with the Rolls set, that was some real excitement.

I haven't fully partaken of the Aquion cool aid, but knew I didn't enjoy the flavor of the fla's! My distributor here in Seward, Alaska efficient energy solutions, visited the factory a couple of months ago and thought they looked OK. Time will tell.

Wade
                                Sounds interesting. Keep us informed on how they work out.

Comment

Working...