Solar panel made of Wood or Steel/Aluminium?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AKoseki
    • Dec 2014

Solar panel made of Wood or Steel/Aluminium?

Hello, i purchased a DIY kit for a solar panel; i already had a complete metal one (i think it was made of either aluminium or steel); This new DIY panel comes with instructions for a solar panel made of plywood, and a little to no info about metal made panel.

Considering costs, durability, warping, shrinking/expanding due to sun, what would be the best way?
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by AKoseki
    Hello, i purchased a DIY kit for a solar panel; i already had a complete metal one (i think it was made of either aluminium or steel); This new DIY panel comes with instructions for a solar panel made of plywood, and a little to no info about metal made panel.

Considering costs, durability, warping, shrinking/expanding due to sun, what would be the best way?
    The durability of wood in this application is not as good as metal. Wood will not last.

Probably more importantly, safety first. Depending on the service and design of the collector - pool heating, DHW, and particularly air cooled space heating, exposing wood to long term and/or cyclical elevated temps may present a fire hazard.

Comment

• AKoseki
      • Dec 2014

Thanks! any suggestion for thickness( in mm?), and how to glue them together? and aluminium or inox steel?

Comment

• bcroe
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by AKoseki
        Thanks! any suggestion for thickness( in mm?), and how to glue
        them together? and aluminium or inox steel?
        Besides moisture, panels can be exposed to extreme temperatures, which can be
        very abrupt. Some early attempts here failed because the cell mounting wasn't solid
        enough; flexing of the mount cracked them. What worked here was tempered glass
        mounted in an aluminum angle frame, held together with stainless steel bolts. The
        cells need to be in an appropriate encapsulant to survive. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

Are you speaking of PV Electric panels, Water heating panels, or Air heater ?
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• bcroe
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Mike90250
            Are you speaking of PV Electric panels, Water heating panels, or Air heater ?
            That's a good question; I was talking PV Electric. What is everybody else speaking? Bruce Roe

Comment

• AKoseki
              • Dec 2014

Sorry hehe, its PV;

Thanks a lot for the informations! hmm, aluminium it is then;

should i build the solar panel in a plywood and insert it in the aluminium case? or just put a insulating paint or a film?

Thanks again..

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

Wood products have no place in a PV electric sandwich, it attracts moisture, can never be stable, electrically conductive and can burn.
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• AKoseki
                  • Dec 2014

Thank you!

Comment

Working...