Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bighoss
    • Apr 2010

Battery backup first-then grid tie????

I have been using solar panels for partial power for 15years. I can do AC and DC wiring without electrocuting myself or burning everything down.
    Recently looked into buying a grid-tie system, but way expensive.
    Found 740 watts of Evergreen (3 190W n 1 170W, all have 36Voc and 8plus Isc) panels for what they're worth (80cents/watt).
    Here's the problem: Everytime I try to get MC3 cables or a 24V inverter, or any parts to put MY stuff together, I end up arguing with some DA salesperson about what HE thinks I should do.
    Here's my plan: If anyone has any comments or suggestions for improvement... O.K. .
    Mount panels in 24 or 48VDC config. I'm thinking 24VDC for now because I already have a Xantrex C35 PWM charge controller and enough 6V batteries to make that work. The C35 won't do 48V
    Find a Xantrex XW inverter of at least 4KW
    Hook it all up to the AC in the barn and leave the Utility breaker to the barn open.
    As I add panels I will feed more loads from the solar and less from the grid.
    I'm on dialup so please don't send large pics or pdf files.
    Thanks, bighoss
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

You have a good recipe for using up batteries @ $1 KWh vs purchase from grid at $0.2KWh.
    If you have reliable grid power, skip the batteries. If you have loads that must be backed up (fax, computer, night light) use a small computer UPS. Big loads need larger UPS. Doing this via Solar PV, large battery bank, and XW inverter will cost you a LOT of $$ to save pennies.

What exactly do you want to do or backup ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...