Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MidnightMusher
    • Jun 2014

Solar Setup on Vacant Home

Hi everyone! I hope someone can help. I'm buying a home that's totally off the grid. I has solar panels, wind turbine, batteries, and a whole charge control and converter module. The house was foreclosed upon over 6 months ago and no maintenance was done to the solar system during that time. Therefore, there is no water in the batteries and everything has been shut off. I'm working on getting the home inspected, but there doesn't seem to be a way to quickly check the functionality of the electric since the solar system is shut down. My inspector said he could test the current from the solar panels, just to make sure they are working. But he can't test the water pump for the well water without power. There is a propane generator, but it's electrical cord looks like it's been severed from the house. If inspection shows that there's no power to the house and if the lender's appraisers aren't able to turn on a light, I'm afraid they won't finance on the house then. Does anyone know of ways around these issues to make sure everything can be inspected sufficiently? Thanks!
  • pleppik
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2014

I'm guessing you need to assume the batteries will need complete replacement.

Can you bring in a generator to power up the AC circuits to test everything?
    16x TenK 410W modules + 14x TenK 500W inverters

Comment

• Shockah
      Solar Fanatic
      • Nov 2013

Originally posted by pleppik
      I'm guessing you need to assume the batteries will need complete replacement.

Can you bring in a generator to power up the AC circuits to test everything?
      Or maybe 1 battery/inverter just large enough to power 1 circuit at a time?
      [CENTER]SunLight @ Night[/CENTER]

Comment

• inetdog
        Super Moderator
        • May 2012

Try to determine by inspection whether the inverter is one with provision for transferring power back and forth with a generator or one which provides inline generator support. Give us a make and model number and although we cannot tell you how it is wired we could tell you what the options are.
        Possibly the generator cord was cut to positively shut down everything, or possibly the generator installation was not up to the applicable electrical code.

You can set up a temporary power panel connected only to the generator (no transfer switch needed), then disconnect a number of circuit wires from their current breakers and extend them to breakers in the temp panel.
        You can just hope that the generator was sized to be able to run the well pump rather than being used primarily for battery charging.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Working...