Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zac
    • Jun 2014

Inverter Question for Newbie

Hi there, I have a 2000w Pure Sine Wave Honda Genset and I would like to use it as our inverter in our housetruck without starting the motor until absolutely necessary e.g if we have a large load like im using my dropsaw & the misses wants to do a load of washing. We are in the process of setting up our system. We have 4 x 190w Monocrystalline panels & nothing else yet... Is it possible to use the inverter part of the generator without having to buy another inverter as the generator has one?

Much appreciated

Zac
  • mapmaker
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2012

Originally posted by zac
    Hi there, I have a 2000w Pure Sine Wave Honda Genset and I would like to use it as our inverter in our housetruck without starting the motor until absolutely necessary e.g if we have a large load like im using my dropsaw & the misses wants to do a load of washing. We are in the process of setting up our system. We have 4 x 190w Monocrystalline panels & nothing else yet... Is it possible to use the inverter part of the generator without having to buy another inverter as the generator has one?
    Welcome to the forum,

No. The internal inverter works at high voltage... not something that your batteries can provide. Also, the inverter is so tightly integrated with the engine control that you can't really separate them. This has been discussed on the yahoo honda forums... bottom line: you will need to buy an inverter.

You should also buy some house batteries for your truck... the starter battery will not hold up well to deep cycle use.

--mapmaker
    ob 3524, FM60, ePanel, 4 L16, 4 x 235 watt panels

Comment

Working...