24v battery system vs 12v battery system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24v battery system vs 12v battery system

So I am getting ready to buy a 240w Suniva panel, Tracer-2210RN charge controller, 30 Amp fuses, and 10 AWG. No inverter picked up yet.

Does this sound like a good setup?

Since im running a 24v solar panel, do I have to run a 24v battery pack or can I run a 12v batter pack. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

Does anyone know the quality of Suniva? I am getting the 240w panel for $240

Replies in red...

Originally posted by joebigaloe View Post
    So I am getting ready to buy a 240w Suniva panel, Tracer-2210RN charge controller, 30 Amp fuses, and 10 AWG. No inverter picked up yet.

Whether or not it is a sufficient system depends on what you are powering.

Since im running a 24v solar panel, do I have to run a 24v battery pack or can I run a 12v batter pack. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each?
    According to the user manual that controller has 12V /24V auto recognition.
    I suggest you search product reviews on ANY controller prior to purchasing it.

Does anyone know the quality of Suniva? I am getting the 240w panel for $240
    They have an informative website: http://www.suniva.com/
    [CENTER]SunLight @ Night[/CENTER]

Comment

Ok. Since the controller is a 12/24v controller...does that mean a 12/24v battery pack or 12/24v solar panel?

Comment

Ok. Since the controller is a 12/24v controller...does that mean a 12/24v battery pack or 12/24v solar panel?
        Battery pack - a 12 volt panel will be 17 to 18 volts
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

The controller can charge either a 12v or a 24v battery. It means the controller will recognize the voltage of the battery it is being connected to and provide the correct charging voltage.

Comment

Ok so if I got this right, the only thing that is of concern between the panels and the CC is the amps produced by the panels?

Comment

What is the Vmp of the solar panel? If the Vmp is about 30 volts, you will NOT be able to charge a 24 volt battery properly.

Your question about 12 vs 24 volt battery depends on many factors. In particular, what are your loads? do you intend to expand the system? What sort of batteries do you want to use?

--mapmaker
              ob 3524, FM60, ePanel, 4 L16, 4 x 235 watt panels

Comment

Originally posted by mapmaker View Post
                What is the Vmp of the solar panel? If the Vmp is about 30 volts, you will NOT be able to charge a 24 volt battery properly.

Your question about 12 vs 24 volt battery depends on many factors. In particular, what are your loads? do you intend to expand the system? What sort of batteries do you want to use?

--mapmaker
                I am not sure of the Vmp on the solar panel as of yet. I am buying from a semi-local delaer and have not got the specs. So with just 1 ~30V panel, I can not charge a 24 volt battery...

For loads, I would like to be able to power anything that is within the inverters limits. Mainly laptops, desktops, new tvs, fans, perhaps a mini fridge, tools, etc...

As for batteries, I still need to do my research on those, as far to what kind and AH.

Comment

For loads, I would like to be able to power anything that is within the inverters limits. Mainly laptops, desktops, new tvs, fans, perhaps a mini fridge, tools, etc...

As for batteries, I still need to do my research on those, as far to what kind and AH.
                  All those appliances sound like you want to LIVE off-grid.
                  Why? Is there no grid in your area?

If you're imaging powering all those devices simultaneously, expect to spend at least $10,000 on a PV system.

OFF-GRID CALCULATOR >>> http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/attach...2&d=1340038558
                  [CENTER]SunLight @ Night[/CENTER]

Comment

For loads, I would like to be able to power anything that is within the inverters limits. Mainly laptops, fans . . . .
                    Shouldn't be a problem for a small system.
                    TV's
                    OK now you're running into issues with total energy available.
                    perhaps a mini fridge, tools, etc.
                    Now you are way out of the range of a cheapo 12V system.
                    You need to do more research than that. You need to figure out loads, both total energy (in kwhr) max power (in watts) and max surge (in watts.) The right way to do it:

Determine loads (in kwhr)
                    Determine battery bank
                    Choose inverter based on max power
                    Choose solar and charge controllers based on battery size and total energy needed
                    Choose aux charging source (generator etc.)

The absolute wrong way to do it:

Get a good deal on some panels on Craigslist
                    Buy the cheapest charge controller and inverter you can, generally from an Ebay supplier with a hard to pronounce name
                    Get a good deal on no-name batteries with an assurance that "they should work fine for you because they are marine"
                    Post on a forum asking how to make it all work for you

Comment

Working...
                    X