Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ive got a what I thinks a good Question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ive got a what I thinks a good Question!

Ive got 14-125W 18V Solar panels that Im going to be using for an off grid system. My question is this: Do I have to use a blocking diode on each panel to prevent back voltage to the panels when the controler shuts them down from the batterys. If the suns still out the panels still charge and if they are all connecting at a certain junction point the Voltage is just there(Along with approx 80Amps) until the batterys require the charge. Will it back up into any panel while the controler is shutdown or do they need individual blocking diodes per panel? Or is it safe to straight wire all 14 to the junction box? Or does each panel usually have a blocking diode built in its connection box. All info is greatly appreciated. Dave
    Smart Meters are Smart, but if you know how to outsmart them. Well its still all good!

if there is a block diode in each panel, you may ask the seller or check that by yourself. the solar panels with a block diode are better than without. however, some small power panels is not necessary to add a block diode, because reverse charge don't affect panels. in addition, solar regulators have a function to prevent reverse charge.

Comment

Panels can have 2 types of diodes,
      Bypass diodes, for use when a segment is shaded
      Blocking diode for preventing backfeed when panel is dark

The blocking diode is the most usless, since charge controllers perform this function. Panel Mfg will state which, if any, are installed.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
      X