Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • genecoleman
    • Oct 2013

Inverter Use With Home Circuitry

I am thinking of installing a 12 volt solar system as a backup for one household circuit. I plan to always keep within the inverters max continuous wattage but have a question about possible resistance issues. I am planning on purchasing an inverter that has a built in transfer switch to connect to one household circuit. What I am concerned about is if this will cause problems with the inverter considering that the circuit length will be approximately 80 feet long (12g solid wire). In general, would this be a bad idea?

Thx

gene
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

No more of an issue than the utility 120 volts.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

Originally posted by genecoleman
      ..... What I am concerned about is if this will cause problems with the inverter considering that the circuit length will be approximately 80 feet long (12g solid wire). In general, would this be a bad idea?

Thx

gene
      Q1. I'll presume the 80' is the 120VAC wire, not the battery wire ?

Q2. This is a PURE SINE inverter? Mod sine inverters (just about every inverter < $150) do not have isolated outputs, and can cause problems when they encounter grounded neutral house wiring schemes.

Q3. Beware of using RV inverters with integral transfer switches. RV's are not generally grounded, and your house is. Read the manuals. (RV lots hate folks pounding ground rods in at 3am)
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• genecoleman
        • Oct 2013

Thanks to both of you for the input. Yes the 80' is the house AC circuit I referred to (panel to receptacles). The inverter connection would only be about 2' from the battery source. I had been looking at the Cotek line of pure sign inverters which, from what I can tell, can be used in that manner.

Comment

Working...