My First Solar Powered Boat Project

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dudevato
    • Mar 2014

In my case I simply decided to keep it simple ..........

here's a link to a Yahoo Group I am a member of. Most there are Hard Core electric boat builders, not the light weight stuff I like.
    Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

You might have to register to see this page. It shows pics of a simple rope/pulley steering system that might spark an idea.

Comment

• TomCat58
      • Jun 2013

Originally posted by SolarCanoe
      Hey TomCat: I kept thinking that a linear actuator for steering was not a great idea but I could not remember why I rejected it. The main reason I did not go this way is that when you need to quickly veer away from something the steering will only react as fast as the linear actuator speed.
      Just another 2 cents worth . . .
      Yes I understand your thoughts and concerns. A quick release linkage would be a must. I am thinking of my use in my boat on lets say the 5 days and nights Columbia River trip and I jerry rigged a small paraschute rope to the motor handle and ran the rope around both sides of the canopy frame allowing me to make small steering corrections facing forward. It worked ok and I used it a lot on that trip to make small turns and corrections in deep water. If my fish finder gave a warning beep alarm of shallow water I just popped of the Velcro holding the rope on the handle and steered manually to correct the danger. That only happened once on the whole trip.

I was thinking like you too when I picked a slow 1/4 inch movement per second actuator that would be for slow accurate corrections and no good for sudden turns. I would be happy with the short slow corrections.

I guess it all depends on the waters and type of use we use our boats in to decide on if the actuator is a good system or not. For me I know from my long trip and for the next 5-10 day continuation trips down the Mighty Columbia River that the actuator if installed right would be excellent for long straight cruising.

Here is a example of that type of long straight runs I am speaking of: Out of the three video's on this page its the second video down named Solar Canoe Trip Serenity :

Access Google Sites with a personal Google account or Google Workspace account (for business use).

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts

Tommy

Comment

• TomCat58
        • Jun 2013

Originally posted by dudevato
        here's a link to a Yahoo Group I am a member of. Most there are Hard Core electric boat builders, not the light weight stuff I like.
        Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

You might have to register to see this page. It shows pics of a simple rope/pulley steering system that might spark an idea.
        Yes that's kind of what I had on my Columbia River 5 day trip. a small rope running up both sides I just pulled on to steer. It works ok its a personal choice I guess it will get the job done.

Tommy

Comment

• SolarCanoe
          • Sep 2013

Off Topic But Relevent To Building Solar/Electric Powered Canoes & Boats

NOTE: This post will be under construction for some time, so whenever I make some additions I will post to the thread with a link back to this post.

Many of us are using PVC Pipe and fittings, aluminum pipe and tubing, and now some bicycle parts to build our Solar/Electric Powered Boats, so I thought I would pass on some things I have discovered regarding these materials, bicycle parts, how to machine them, and what parts fit together well. Please feel free to pass on anything you think is worth sharing and I will work it into this post for future reference.

ROUND MATERIALS & FITTINGS

I have only used round stock such as PVC pipe and aluminum tubing in my design and fabrication so far, but I will try to add some similar facts regarding square tubing and other types of materials. I know some of you have been using other materials like U-channel and angle stock so please share anything that you have discovered in your boat building efforts.

Pipe vs Tubing

The main difference between round tubing and pipe is the diameter that is used to specify the size. Pipe is specified by inside diameter while tubing is specified by outside diameter. I found a good reference for pipe dimensions on the The Engineering Toolbox website. You will see that pipe is described as Schedule 40 or 80. The difference is how much pressure the pipe can hold but that generally indicates strength and wall thickness. The outside diameter is constant between schedule 40 and 80 pipe otherwise you could not mix schedule 40 and 80 pipe and fittings. Schedule 40 PVC pipe and fitting are strong enough for most of our projects but if strength is a concern then go for schedule 80 fittings and pipe or use aluminum. Unfortunately I have not been able to find aluminum pipe fittings. Tubing is specified with outside diameter and wall thickness, such as

What Pipe and Tubing Fit Inside Each Other

Being able to slide one thing inside another allows for design features such as adjustable length members, adding strength and stiffness, and combining things that were not really meant to be used together. The following is a list of materials that should slide inside other materials { italics == tested }:
          • 1/2" Aluminum Tubing loosely inside 1/2" Schedule 40 Pipe (ID 0.622")
          • 1/2" Aluminum Tubing smoothly inside 1/2" Schedule 80 Pipe (ID 0.546")
          • 1/2" Pipe (OD 0.840) smoothly inside 1" Aluminum Tubing from Home Depot
          • 3/4" Aluminum Tubing loosely inside 3/4" Schedule 40 Pipe (ID 0.824)
          • 1" Aluminum Tubing smoothly inside 1" Schedule 40 Pipe (ID 1.049)
          • 1" Pipe (OD 1.315) smoothly inside 1.25" Schedule 40 Pipe (ID 1.380)
          • 1.25" Aluminum Tubing loosely inside 1.25" Schedule 40 Pipe (ID 1.380)
          • 1.25" Aluminum Tubing tightly inside 1.25" Schedule 80 Pipe (ID 1.278) {required sanding inside of pipe}
          • 1.25" Aluminum Tubing loosely inside 1.25" Schedule 40 Pipe (ID 1.380)
          • 1.5" Aluminum Tubing loosely inside 1.5" Schedule 40 Pipe (ID 1.610)
          • 1.5" Aluminum Tubing possible press fit inside 1.5" Schedule 40 Pipe (ID 1.500)
          • 1.5" Pipe (OD 1.900) loosely inside 2" Schedule 40 Pipe (ID 2.067)
          • 1.5" Pipe (OD 1.900) snugly inside 2" Schedule 80 Pipe (ID 1.939)
          • 2" Aluminum Tubing smoothly inside Schedule 40 Pipe (ID 2.067)
          • 2" Pipe (OD 2.375) loosely inside 2.5" Schedule 40 Pipe (ID 2.469)
          • 3" Aluminum Tubing loosely inside 3" Schedule 40 Pipe(ID 3.068)
          • 2.5" Pipe (OD 2.875) snugly inside 3" Schedule 80 Pipe (ID 2.900)
          • 4" Aluminum Tubing snugly inside 4" Schedule 40 Pipe(ID 4.026)

What Size Slip Fittings To Use With Aluminum Tubing Sizes

As I mentioned above, I have not been able to find any aluminum fittings. I have however used the PVC slip fittings quite successfully with aluminum tubing. Of course you cannot use the usual PVC cement so I have used stainless steel screws for joints I may need to break and 3/16" aluminum pop rivets for joints that I want to be permanent. { italics == tested }:
          • 1/2" PVC Slip Fittings (ID 0.840): 3/4" Aluminum Tubing (slide through)
          • 3/4" PVC Slip Fittings (ID 1.050): 1" Aluminum Tubing (slide through requires boring)
          • 1" PVC Slip Fittings (ID 1.315): 1.25" Aluminum Tubing (slide through ?)

NOTE: Some of the tubing fits better if you shim it with some tape. I have used clear hockey tape with good results. I also have some 1" wide aluminum tape that I will use when I am working on what I think is a finished product. You could try some heat shrink tubing but tape gives you much better control over the thickness. If you want a really good tight fit then shim it so that it is difficult to push it more than half way into the fitting, then pull it out and moisten the fitting with some window cleaner. The window cleaner will lubricate the joint and allow you to push the tubing all the way in. The window cleaner works well because it evaporates quickly. This is trick I learned at a bike shop for getting rubber handlebar grips on or off.

Bicycle Components

I have discovered there are some bicycle components that can be used in conjunction with trolling motors, tubing and pipe.

Bicycle Headset

A bicycle headset is a set of bearings and cups that that connect the bicycle frame to the steering tube of the front forks. A fortunate coincidence is that a standard headset dimensions for a thread-less steering tube is 1 1/8" diameter which also happens to be the most common diameter of trolling motor shafts. It also turns out that bicycle headsets fit bicycle head tubes that are 34mm inside diameter. The inside diameter of a 1" pipe slip fitting happens to be 34mm, therefore a small amount of boring is required to seat the bearing cups into a 1" slip on pipe fitting. A schedule 80 fitting is stronger and would be my choice for this application. It should also be noted that the inside diameter of 1.25" pipe is also very close in size to the 34mm ID and would only require a small amount of boring to accommodate the 34mm bearing cups. A 1" long piece of 1.25" pipe cemented into a 1.25" slip fitting, schedule 40 or 80, would provide a very strong support for the headset and trolling motor attachment.

Bicycle Handlebar Stems

Again the coincidence that the most common trolling motor shaft diameter is 1 1/8" means that a standard bicycle handlebar stem will fit nicely on the shaft for attaching a steering linkage arm or even a set of bicycle handlebars for steering the boat. I have seen designs where the trolling motor is mounted through a hole in the bottom of the boat just in front of the captain. You could rig up a throttle like a motorcycle and have a brake lever that puts the motor in revers.

Bicycle Seat Tube Clamps

I discovered that bicycle seat tube clamps come is a wide variety of sizes and you can find them online under $5 each. Here is a list of sizes that could be very useful in conjunction with trolling motors, aluminum tubing, and pipe:
          • 25.4mm = 1.000": 1" Aluminum Tubing, 3/4" Pipe (OD 1.050")
          • 27.2mm = 1.071": 3/4" Pipe (OD 1.050")
          • 28.6mm = 1.126": Trolling Motor Shaft
          • 31.8mm = 1.252": 1.25" Aluminum Tubing
          • 34.9mm = 1.374": 1" Pipe (OD 1.315) ?

Comment

• dudevato
            • Mar 2014

wow, that's a lot of Info! I saved this page in my list of favorites. Thanks.

Comment

• TomCat58
              • Jun 2013

Yes thank you for the conversion list. More then once I could be found wandering around in Home Depot trying to figure out what pipe fits inside another pipe etc. I am saving this list also I found there are some more options if you visit the electrical conduit pipe and fittings section too.

It almost feels like the beginning of spring here. Time to get the canoe in the water soon and test some new improvements ! I did some back and forth offers and got the actuator for $48 with free shipping

I figure out and even tried out a "shear point" on the arm that will be connected to the motor shaft. If the motor hits bottom, or I need to grab the steer handle a steer quickly it will break the shear point on the arm and free the Actuator from the motor shaft. When I get it all setup up I will post the setup.

Tommy

Comment

• dudevato
                • Mar 2014

well heck, everyone is making progress on their motor boats. Turns out I'm 'on break' from working on mine. I came in the house to get a beer

I've tacked and now got the 2 supports 1/2 welded in place that will accept the 'outrigger tubes' I need a few strengthening supports tacked in place. When this is done I'll remove the 'panel framework' then finish welding everything.

I'm sure thinking when I have posted 10 posts the powers that be will let me post pics. I'm coming up on that number so we'll all find out.

Comment

• dudevato
                  • Mar 2014

'turns out the pics need to be a much smaller size than mine are. I found how to down size the file size and will try posting one now. Highly technical and this info is copyrighted so if I find this idea out floating around some lake or water way I'll have to deal with you in a legal manner100_1766 - fix.JPG

Comment

• dudevato
                    • Mar 2014

ya, it worked. I just seem to keep getting smarter and smarter

Comment

• bcroe
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jan 2012

Pipe inside pipe

Originally posted by TomCat58
                      Yes thank you for the conversion list. More then once I could be found wandering around in Home Depot trying to figure out what pipe fits inside another pipe etc. Tommy
                      Some of the people who build amateur antennas use several sizes of tubing that fit snugly
                      together. You can find ads for some in a HAM magazine such as QST. Bruce Roe

Comment

• TomCat58
                        • Jun 2013

Originally posted by bcroe
                        Some of the people who build amateur antennas use several sizes of tubing that fit snugly
                        I will have a look at ham antenna plans online.

Thank You

Comment

• SolarCanoe
                          • Sep 2013

Bicycle Headset Trial

I picked up an inexpensive headset today, and gave it a try. The inside diameter of the 1" pvc pipe fitting is almost perfect and only required a small amount of sanding to make it a nice press fit. It turns out that when they say 1 1/8" steering tube they actually mean 30mm, which is slightly bigger (1.181102") than the motor shaft and therefore a tiny bit sloppy, but quite acceptable for this purpose.

I purchased the aluminum collars off of eBay. If I can determine that a bicycle seat tube clamp can be used on the 1 1/8" motor shaft it would be a lot cheaper. Of course there are a lot of ways to make a collar with a hose clamp and some PVC or better yet a wide split headset spacer.

The friction has been all but eliminated. Getting the motor to turn by pulling on the brake cables is quite easy when the shaft is vertical. When I lift the motor the friction of the top tee and the weight of the motor make it difficult to get the motor to turn. In the finished product I will probably add a bearing to the top tee as well. This has worked so well I think I could get away with a smaller pulley. I may just have to try that and an additional bearing on the top tee.

IMG_0416-small.jpg IMG_0417_small.jpg

So I am quite pleased with these results. There is still some refinement to be done on the motor mount/lift and I still have not decided what I should put on the other end of the cables to steer with. I really like the idea of being able to steer from the front or rear of the canoe. I'm also thinking of putting the speed and actuator switches on a pendant that could be place in the front or rear so you could captain from either location. I am beginning to realize I am just scratching the surface on this project but it is sooooo! much more fun and satisfying than going to work every day developing and writing software to analyze data from wind tunnel experiments! Oh ya writing software was great for 32 years but now I just want to build fun toys and leave the real work for the kids to do.

Comment

• SolarCanoe
                            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by bcroe
                            There is an online supplier of metal called Metal Supermarkets. When I was looking at aluminum tubing I noticed they have tubing with wall thicknesses slightly less than 1/16" and 1/8". The tubing outside diameter sizes go up in 1/8" increments. Therefore it should be easy to select various tubing sizes that will slide smoothly inside each other.

In our case being able to go into the local Home Depot or Lowes and find aluminum tubing sizes and PVC pipe and conduit sizes that will work together well is a real bonus and that appeals to the MacGyver in all of us DIYers. Part of the fun for me with these type of projects is trying to do it with relatively easy to acquire parts and materials. It's also fun to borrow ideas and solutions from other types of projects like ham radio. Don't get me wrong I will order material from companies like Metal Supermarkets if I can't find a solution at Lowes or Home Depot but I always channel my inner MacGyver first.

Comment

• TomCat58
                              • Jun 2013

This project but it is sooooo! much more fun and satisfying than going to work every day developing and writing software to analyze data from wind tunnel experiments! Oh ya writing software was great for 32 years but now I just want to build fun toys and leave the real work for the kids to do. [/QUOTE]

I was forced to retire due to a severe injury that left me disabled. I too find building my boat with all the customizing and fabrication a great Hobie that gets me moving around more and challenges my mind and creativity. When I get it on the water my old slow mind always has a few light bulbs go off on how to improve it some more. Spring is almost here and I hope to have it back in the water in about 10 days. Oh yeeeeaaaah that will be nice as I am tired of old man winter.

A few things to try out will be the new MPPT controller, 72 percent efficient(PWM) to 97 percent efficient MPPT. Then with the addition of a third solar panel and the new remote steer should be some cool improvements. My two (4 and 6) grand daughters love to go out in the boat with me and argue on who is first mate and they bought me a little pirate flag they want me to put on the boat.

I know exactly what your talking about

Comment

• SolarCanoe
                                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by TomCat58
                                My two (4 and 6) grand daughters love to go out in the boat with me and argue on who is first mate and they bought me a little pirate flag they want me to put on the boat.
                                Yarrrgh matey! check your messages.

Comment

Working...