Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OregonSolar
    • Oct 2013

Originally posted by SolarCanoe
    These are 20V LEDs used in model train projects.
    Heck, that's even a good deal. I'm in to models a little; i might use these for a small town powered by a 24volt power supply.

Sure, just put'em on the solar panels. The draw is low enough that it won't matter.
    [url]http://getcraft.net/?ref=Bm5Om0rne[/url]

Comment

• SolarCanoe
      • Sep 2013

I just woke up and realized that the only way the LED test light will work is with a switch. If the panel is connected in an array of panels the LED would be on even if the panel went open, because the LED would still see the other panels in the array. I would need a switch on each panel that can disconnect it from the array so that the LED is only connected across that panel's output terminals.

I will have to give this idea some more thought.

Comment

• SolarCanoe
        • Sep 2013

Linear Actuator Have Arrived

I received the linear actuators the other day. The 32" ones for the retractable outriggers were very slow at 10mm/sec. I contacted the supplier and ordered another pair that are 24mm/sec. I mentioned this to a coworker and he suggested I use the slow ones to make the height of the canopy variable. He pointed out that if we lowered the canopy once in the canoe that would lower the center of gravity. So I put on my thinking cap and came up with a design that I think will work well. It will allow me to have the canopy as low as 3 ft above the canoe to almost 6 ft. My design will also allow me to tilt the canopy front to back. This will allow me to get more direct sunlight on the solar panel when traveling North or South.

Out of curiosity I did some hunting online and found that Scott Canoes make a 20 ft canoe. I also found there is a company in my home town of London Ontario that makes an 18 ft prospector canoe. So if this works out well but we find it a little cramped in the 16 ft Prospector Canoe we have some options for the future.

I hope to get started on the canopy construction soon. I'm running a little short on funds right now but I should be able to scrape together enough to buy some of the aluminum tubing I need to get started. I think the only big expense left now will be the batteries. I understand that if putting two batteries in parallel it is best to get two of the same batteries and get them at the same time. I'll keep an eye out for sales and hopefully I can get two batteries for a reasonable price.

There is no shortage of electric boat manufacturers on the net. I found a site with a 19' electric canoe for sale. I don't think my first effort will be quite that elegant but I'll try to make it look nice as well as be functional.

Comment

• TomCat58
          • Jun 2013

I received the linear actuators the other day. The 32" ones for the retractable outriggers were very slow at 10mm/sec. I contacted the supplier and ordered another pair that are 24mm/sec. I mentioned this to a coworker and he suggested I use the slow ones to make the height of the canopy variable. He pointed out that if we lowered the canopy once in the canoe that would lower the center of gravity. So I put on my thinking cap and came up with a design that I think will work well. It will allow me to have the canopy as low as 3 ft above the canoe to almost 6 ft. My design will also allow me to tilt the canopy front to back. This will allow me to get more direct sunlight on the solar panel when traveling North or South.

Out of curiosity I did some hunting online and found that Scott Canoes make a 20 ft canoe. I also found there is a company in my home town of London Ontario that makes an 18 ft prospector canoe. So if this works out well but we find it a little cramped in the 16 ft Prospector Canoe we have some options for the future.

I hope to get started on the canopy construction soon. I'm running a little short on funds right now but I should be able to scrape together enough to buy some of the aluminum tubing I need to get started. I think the only big expense left now will be the batteries. I understand that if putting two batteries in parallel it is best to get two of the same batteries and get them at the same time. I'll keep an eye out for sales and hopefully I can get two batteries for a reasonable price.

There is no shortage of electric boat manufacturers on the net. I found a site with a 19' electric canoe for sale. I don't think my first effort will be quite that elegant but I'll try to make it look nice as well as be functional.
          Share some pictures when you get the actuator up and working OK.

TomCat58

Comment

• SolarCanoe
            • Sep 2013

Two Batteries in Parallel?

I am contemplating two batteries and I was wondering if I simply connect them together in parallel or should I be able to switch one or the other in or out of the circuit like reserve fuel tanks?

I would be buying exactly the same two batteries when the time comes if that is relevant.

I picked up another trolling motor off of Kijiji the other day. It is the exact same trolling motor that I already have and it is still in the unopened box!. I am contemplating two possible ways to utilize them. The most maneuverable configuration would have one on the front and one on the back of the canoe (push-me-pull-you configuration). This would allow turning in place, moving sideways, as well as the usual forward and reverse. It would also require the most modification to the motors and work to design and build mounts and a steering mechanize and of course motorized motor lifting mechanisms. The other approach would leave the trolling motors unmodified and require next to no additional effort to mount them. This approach would have the two motors mounted ahead of the rear captains seat so that you don't have to reach behind to control the motor and steer. I would mount a motor on either side of the canoe reaching out on a 45 degree angle to get them as far apart as possible. Think of a row boat with trolling motors instead of oars (rowboat configuration). This arrangement would not allow sideways movement but it would allow turning in place as well as moving forward and back. The steering would be done by varying the thrust of the motors, like pulling harder on one oar than the other. Aside from being the simplest configuration the rowboat configuration does not preclude the possibility of implementing the push-me-pull-you configuration in the future. The rowboat configuration also takes advantage of the Minn Kota Traxxis trolling motor's easy stowing, so I will not bother trying to implement a powered motor lift. So given the simplicity and advantages, I think I will go with the rowboat configuration for next summer. If it does not work out all that well, then I can always fall back on the push-me-pull-you configuration as a project for next winter.

Cheers, let me know what I should do about the two battery connections.

Comment

• TomCat58
              • Jun 2013

[QUOTE=SolarCanoe;93009]I am contemplating two batteries and I was wondering if I simply connect them together in parallel or should I be able to switch one or the other in or out of the circuit like reserve fuel tanks?

I would be buying exactly the same two batteries when the time comes if that is relevant.

I picked up another trolling motor off of Kijiji the other day. It is the exact same trolling motor that I already have and it is still in the unopened box!. I am contemplating two possible ways to utilize them.

2 40 LB thrust motors ! My solar canoe is coming back together slowly but surely. I changed 3 things sense my first Columbia River trip. A much stronger frame, A much larger adjustable pontoon system and replaced my PWM morningstar controller with a morningstar MPPT controller. I am due to test it all in the local lake in a few weeks weather permitting and see if what I figure on paper is a reality or not.

I am watch yours and a few other solar boat projects closely and seeing what I might use to improve my project. But with 2 motors on yours it seems you will leave me in your wake (dust) LOL But that is ok as I am not looking for speed so much as 100% off grid. I am already planning out my second leg of the Columbia River. Picking up were I left off and thats just up river from the Grand Coulee Dam and make the run to the next dam down river to the Chief Joseph Dam which is about 55 miles on the river. You will have more speed then me but we may end up with nick names for our two solar canoe projects. "The Tortoise and the Hare" hahahahaha

The link below is a university solar canoe project that 2 of the guys took down the Mississippi and interesting to read about. With the PWM I was making as good a time and speed as they did. I guess if my next test are successful I will set my dreams on completing the Columbia River down to the Pacific Ocean.

I look forward to your updates

TomCat

Comment

• SolarCanoe
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by TomCat58
                2 40 LB thrust motors ! But with 2 motors on yours it seems you will leave me in your wake (dust) LOL
                It's not really about speed, although it would be nice to have it if needed. It's more about being able to control this contraption if the wind picks up.

Hey TomCat! How about some photos of your new setup.

Comment

• TomCat58
                  • Jun 2013

It's not really about speed, although it would be nice to have it if needed. It's more about being able to control this contraption if the wind picks up.

Hey TomCat! How about some photos of your new setup.[/QUOTE]

I am in the middle of painting so the new improved version is not done yet. Here are a few pictures. The pontoons angle needs to be fine tuned in the water but it should be pretty close. When adjusted the pontoons will just be slightly in the water on the back with the front about 4 inches out of the water. The plan is that when weight is added or the water gets rough then more of the pontoons will be in the water.

The pontoons closed are 8 feet wide (Highway Legal) Half extended their 10 feet wide and fully extended their 12 feet wide. Right now you need to use your imagination until its complete and in the water. The frame I painted with Polyurethane paint, The same paint they use on airplanes. The pontoons will be painted to match the frames new paint soon. My inspiration is the many Banca/Pump Boats I traveled in through out the Philippines. OK your turn....share some of your picture too.....
                  Pontoons in.JPGpontoons out-1.jpgcage painted.JPGPump_Boat.jpg

Comment

• SolarCanoe
                    • Sep 2013

WOW! Nice paint job!

Comment

• TomCat58
                      • Jun 2013

WOW! Nice paint job!
                      Thanks, I was going to break out the spray can paint but thought I would try my hand at how the pro's do it. I am happy with my first try at painting with a gun. I used a matt flat clear to knock down the high gloss like a car would have. I am not sure how well it will blend in with its surroundings yet? I am going to help a friend build one and it will be camo paint. He wants it for a hunting boat and he wants his boat to be more of a survival tool and disappear into the local forest that surrounds the lakes and rivers in this area. Anyway one way or another the PVC needs to be covered with paint to block the sun's UV rays from breaking down the Plastic.

Post some of your project pictures when you get a chance..

TomCat

Comment

• SolarCanoe
                        • Sep 2013

Bigger Platform

I kept thinking that there was not going to be much room left in the 16' prospector canoe. Then I saw a listing for a Scott Canoe Makobe on Kijiji. It is only 15' 8" but because it does not taper as much towards the stern it is more like an 18-20' canoe. There was only one catch, it was a good days drive away and I had no place to keep it until next spring. Fortunately I had a friend in the area and he went and purchased it for me today. Here are a couple photos.
                        makobe-02.JPG

Comment

• TomCat58
                          • Jun 2013

I kept thinking that there was not going to be much room left in the 16' prospector canoe. Then I saw a listing for a Scott Canoe Makobe on Kijiji. It is only 15' 8" but because it does not taper as much towards the stern it is more like an 18-20' canoe. There was only one catch, it was a good days drive away and I had no place to keep it until next spring. Fortunately I had a friend in the area and he went and purchased it for me today. Here are a couple photos.
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]3423[/ATTACH]
                          Now that's a much better platform Its the same width as my canoe at 42" wide and setup for a small motor too. I like it

Thanks for sharing

TomCat

Comment

• SolarCanoe
                            • Sep 2013

Canopy Layout

Now that I have a good top view of the canoe I was able to do some layout work for the canopy. The canopy will be in two 8 foot long section. They will also be flexible down the center line so I can fold them down to an 8 ft by 3 ft size for transporting them.

Slide3.JPG

The thwart and ceter seat will get removed. The supports for the outrigger struts will act as thwarts as well as support the tubes the struts will slide out of to extend the outriggers. The canopy will be supported by 4 sliding legs as shown. The 32" linear actuators that will raise and lower the canopy will be at either end.

I hope to get started on the fabrication soon. I'll post pictures as I build the canopy sections.

I'm still puzzling over where to mount the solar charge controller and the control panel. I am tempted to get the solar charge controller up as high as possible to keep it away from any spray. I even considered hanging it right up under the canopy. It would also be good to keep it out where there is good air flow.

I am also thinking of having some decks that extend out the sides. Nothing really big. Maybe 4' long and 3 feet wide. Just large enough for the dog to lay on them comfortably, or to place a cooler or something like that.

Anyone have any thoughts about the battery hookup. Parallel or switched in and out?

Comment

• TomCat58
                              • Jun 2013

Made progress, ready 2 fine tune in the water now

I have made some progress on my Solar Canoe. All system check out and waiting for a good clear sunny day now P1160134.JPGP1160154.JPGP1160149.JPG

Comment

• SunEagle
                                Super Moderator
                                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by TomCat58
                                I have made some progress on my Solar Canoe. All system check out and waiting for a good clear sunny day now [ATTACH=CONFIG]3592[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3593[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3594[/ATTACH]
                                She looks really great.

I see some snow in the background. Are the rivers free of ice?

Comment

Working...