Solar package review for Houseboat- feedback and suggestions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rzelred1 View Post
    Hi Steve, Can you tell me what you finally did for a solar system. I also have a houseboat on Shasta Lake. I just put it in dry dock and plant to install solar panels. i keep hearing about issues with 36 volt panels on a 12 volt system causing problems. We have 4 6 volt batteries and want to add 6 110 watt 38volt panels. I'm trying to find someone who can look at our system and tell us if what i want to do will work.
    Thanks Ray Zeller

mod - Deleted direct email link. Please enter email into your profile, do not post it in a post.
    We installed the system and it works just fine despite all the doubts. As you know. Shasta has full sun and virtually no clouds on 90% of the summer days. 80 percent of our heavy battery use occurs while there is full sun so the theoretical issues with "insufficient batteries" just doesn't show up in real life usage. Keep in mind that we monitor the system and the batteries so that we never have a problem. If we have a cloudy day, we just go lighter on the battery usage and use the generator if needed. In reality, I would say that is less than 10% of the days during the summer. We don't use the boat much during the winter so I am not concerned about multiple days with little to no sun putting a major strain on the batteries.

We are using 36 volt panels with no issue. Just be sure to use a good MPPT charge controller. These controllers will convert the 36 volts to 12 volts (14.4 Volts in reality ) with very little loss. That is why the MPPT controllers cost several times as much as the PWM controllers (which will convert to 12 volts, but lose 2/3 of the solar power in the process).

Comment

Houseboat Solar at Shasta Lake

Steve, Can you share your info with me on what system you purchased and did you do your own install or did you use someone here at Lake Shasta? Local installers are trying to steer me away from higher voltage panels due to issues they have had in the past. I sounds like they work great if installed and maintained properly.

Comment

Steve, Can you share your info with me on what system you purchased and did you do your own install or did you use someone here at Lake Shasta? Local installers are trying to steer me away from higher voltage panels due to issues they have had in the past. I sounds like they work great if installed and maintained properly.
        If Steve wants to PM you with the vendor's name OK but don't put it on the site.
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Check your email for information that cannot be shared here.

Comment

How did your set ups work out on the houseboats? I am also adding solar to my Houseboat and looking for a solar package that is simular to these.

Comment

Working...
            X