Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • satorizero
    • May 2013

Solar Power + Car/SUV, power laptop

Hello, I am new to this site and thought I could get help here . I am also fairly new to solar setups, but I know the basics about having a charge controller, MPPT vs regular ones, differences in solar panel types and about general setups.

I am currently living in my Jeep and would like to use my laptop and car stereo for extended periods of time because I like to watch movies and such.

I would like to know what the best setup would be to power those two things for at least a half a day straight (12+hours) using solar panels mounted to my Jeep Cherokee rooftop.

I would like to also know about:
    -Using my car battery versus a secondary battery
    -Is there a difference in using multiple panels versus 1 large panel besides the obvious reasons (space and power limit)?
    -If I use multiple panels do I only need ONE charge controller or do I use one CC per panel? (im pretty sure I only use one CC but wanted to check)
    -Also please add what gauge wires for the setup you suggest

So from all my research, I basically think my setup would be like this but I'm not sure which is why I'm here:

1, Buy three or four 10w Solar Panels (about $30 each) and secure them to my roof on my Jeep
    2, Connect those panels in parallel to a charge controller (I can get an MPPT one for $12 on ebay)
    3, Connect the CC to the car battery using a high wattage/high temp diode on the + of the CC as well as one on the alternator
    4, Connect my Cobra 400w inverter which I already own to the cigarette lighter and connect my laptop to that.

My laptop says 65w on the cable/brick that is for charging it.
    Its a HP DV600.

Right now with nothing I seem to be able to use the laptop for a couple hours with the stereo blasting before the Cobra starts warning me, so I need to stop using it so much until I get this solar setup.

Thank you all in advance!
    Last edited by satorizero; 05-12-2013, 06:12 PM.
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

You would be wasting money you do not have to do this and is completely unnecessary to do what you want.

All you need is an auxiliary battery (a seconds deep cycle battery) and a battery isolator and keep it charged up from the vehicle alternator.

If you go solar you still need the second battery and a whole lot of expensive solar crap to drag around that will not work near as good as your vehicle alternator. Your vehicle alternator can generate more power in 15 minutes than a 200 watt solar panel can generate in a day. No way is 30 watts of solar panels going to do squat for you. You are going to need a couple hindered watts and end up spending More than $$600 doing it your way for a half baked system that will not perform nearly as well my way.

By you a good 12 volt 150 to 200 AH AGM battery for around $200, and a good battery isolator for another $60 and you are good to go.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• satorizero
      • May 2013

Originally posted by Sunking
      You would be wasting money you do not have to do this and is completely unnecessary to do what you want.

All you need is an auxiliary battery (a seconds deep cycle battery) and a battery isolator and keep it charged up from the vehicle alternator.

If you go solar you still need the second battery and a whole lot of expensive solar crap to drag around that will not work near as good as your vehicle alternator. Your vehicle alternator can generate more power in 15 minutes than a 200 watt solar panel can generate in a day. No way is 30 watts of solar panels going to do squat for you. You are going to need a couple hindered watts and end up spending More than $$600 doing it your way for a half baked system that will not perform nearly as well my way.

By you a good 12 volt 150 to 200 AH AGM battery for around $200, and a good battery isolator for another $60 and you are good to go.

Wow man, thank you for your response and help. I read somewhere yesterday that getting a secondary battery is better and charging it with an inverter and a charger... that is actually what prompted me to post here because it added confusion to me.

-Ok, so how long can I power my laptop and stereo off that battery?
      -Also, I wanted solar only because I kinda wanna be off grid.. like in case I didn't wanna start my car/use gas? (So its still more efficient to turn the car on for 15 minutes?)
      -Whats a battery isolator? Its this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_isolator ... wow never heard of it
      -And... what if I had six 10w panels?
      - And why AGM you suggest? Why not golf cart batteries? Thanks in advance

p.s. You're a master in EE? Damn.. I'm gonna call you master from now on.. hope you don't mind (I highly respect people like you).

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by satorizero
        -Ok, so how long can I power my laptop and stereo off that battery?
        That i shard to answer because I do not know how much power each consumes, but I can take an educated guess based on each consuming 20 watts average. A 12 volt 200 AH battery around 20 to 30 hours.

-Whats a battery isolator? Its this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_isolator ... wow never heard of it
        Something like this. You do not need anything large. The 70 amp model is way more than enough.

-And... what if I had six 10w panels?
        Enough to run your stuff a bout 2 or 3 hours per day under optimum conditions which is not really possible in mobile applications.
        - And why AGM you suggest? Why not golf cart batteries?
        You could use Flooded batteries, but AGM offers a mobile application a lot more flexibilty and safety. Even some golf carts use AGM.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• satorizero
          • May 2013

Ok great thank you sir, you have helped alot, learned alot as well. Ill let you know what happens.. others are welcome to piggy back this post .

Comment

• satorizero
            • May 2013

Continuation of thoughts

So, how would I connect everything if I had a battery isolator with 3 (or 4 or more) AGM batteries?

And, I know I sound redundant but I ask only because I'm kinda stubborn and also want to know more about it. That being said, if I had 4, 40w panels... and if I ran my laptop off them while the suns out... I would think I wouldnt drain my battery because my laptop draws less than 40w (just used my watt meter and it says laptop draws 39w with Netflix playing)... is this true?

Thank you Master, and whoever else reads and responds.

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

So, how would I connect everything if I had a battery isolator with 3 (or 4 or more) AGM batteries?
              You would only e using 1 12 volt AGM or possible 2 6-volt AGMs wired in series.

And, I know I sound redundant but I ask only because I'm kinda stubborn and also want to know more about it. That being said, if I had 4, 40w panels... and if I ran my laptop off them while the suns out... I would think I wouldnt drain my battery because my laptop draws less than 40w (just used my watt meter and it says laptop draws 39w with Netflix playing)... is this true?
              Well yes assuming the panels wer exposed to direct bright sun light. Not real comfortable in a JEEP or any vehicle setting out in direct sun on a summer day without air conditioning. Panels do not work in shade.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

• satorizero
                • May 2013

Ok so...

Ok one 12v AGM it is then. Thank you.

And ok, see, I can buy 40w Poly PV panels for $60. So I figure I buy 2 of them off the bat, and maybe get an AGM used and refurbish it or I get one cheap... then I should be ok.

And yes, being in the direct sun generally sucks.. BUT... I live in Ventura by the beach, so I literally have perfect weather all year round, even in the sun.

So lets say I have those two panels, the isolator and the extra battery, how would I hook all that up? Do I need diodes still? Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Sunking
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2010

I like pictures. Do you like pictures?

Hope your luck changes for the better. Get a Beach Bunny to shack up with.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

• satorizero
                    • May 2013

Pretty much got it down...

Yes I love them Master, the more the better

So, just simply connect the 2 panels in parallel to the CC, then the CC to the isolator's secondary battery (agm) side?

And I assume the AC is the alternator, so the panels AND the car will keep the AGM charged, no need to switch over or anything (no harm done)?

No other components necessary like diodes or anything?

p.s. thank you for the well wishes... trying to get an RV as we speak. And I'm lucky to have someone who shares my interests :'), shes amazing.

Comment

• Sunking
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Feb 2010

So, just simply connect the 2 panels in parallel to the CC, then the CC to the isolator's secondary battery (agm) side?
                      Correct

And I assume the AC is the alternator, so the panels AND the car will keep the AGM charged, no need to switch over or anything (no harm done)?
                      Correct again. Just too lazy to draw the correct object. What do you expect for free?

No other components necessary like diodes or anything?
                      Correct again. What I did not show to keep the drawing clean is distribution from the battery to your gizmos.

Getem while they are young and dumb so you can train them. That is what my wife told and did with me. She is a doctor and I am just a poor ole engineer living off scraps she throws me.
                      MSEE, PE

Comment

• SunEagle
                        Super Moderator
                        • Oct 2012

Correct

Correct again. Just too lazy to draw the correct object. What do you expect for free?

Correct again. What I did not show to keep the drawing clean is distribution from the battery to your gizmos.

Getem while they are young and dumb so you can train them. That is what my wife told and did with me. She is a doctor and I am just a poor ole engineer living off scraps she throws me.
                        As long as she doesn't aim for your head.

My wife and I just purchased a used 2005 RV. It is in pretty good shape and we plan to share a number of adventures traveling and camping err RVing. My wife was a nurse for 27 years. She is still training her engineer which is why I do get a bone thrown at me with my scraps.

Comment

• Sunking
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by SunEagle
                          As long as she doesn't aim for your head.

My wife and I just purchased a used 2005 RV. It is in pretty good shape and we plan to share a number of adventures traveling and camping err RVing. My wife was a nurse for 27 years. She is still training her engineer which is why I do get a bone thrown at me with my scraps.
                          Well try to quit working and live off of her and see what she does. When I tried she asked me if I could spell D-I-V-O-R-C-E and J-I-G-A-L-O.

Funny she retired last September and has no problem living off me. But then again I could leave and take whats mine and not miss anything.
                          MSEE, PE

Comment

• inetdog
                            Super Moderator
                            • May 2012

Well try to quit working and live off of her and see what she does. When I tried she asked me if I could spell D-I-V-O-R-C-E and J-I-G-A-L-O.
                            I spell jigalo "gigolo", but my wife still doesn't need one.
                            (We both work.)
                            SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Sunking
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by inetdog
                              I spell jigalo "gigolo",
                              Oops

My wife wants to go back to work but cannot afford too being a doctor.
                              MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...