Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • baronclaw
    • May 2013

Small off-grid systems for offices

Hello, my name is Philip. I am an American working as a marketing director in Shanghai for a Chinese on/off grid products distribution company. I have learned a lot about my company's products in a very short time, but I feel as though I still don't know enough. In order to become more knowledgeable about the products that I am selling, I am thinking about installing a small off grid 380W system in a friend's office here in Shanghai. I plan to hang the two 190W mono panels in the windows much like a BIPV. The rest of the equipment will be as follows:

-Inverter: 220V, 50HZ, 300W
    -2 batteries: 12V, 150AH
    -Controller: 24V DC, 0.4KW

I would like to run sockets directly from the system and plug in 8 computers, 2 water coolers, and a microwave.

Is this possible? Does anyone see any potential problems?

Best,
    Phil
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by baronclaw
    -Inverter: 220V, 50HZ, 300W
    -2 batteries: 12V, 150AH
    -Controller: 24V DC, 0.4KW

I would like to run sockets directly from the system and plug in 8 computers, 2 water coolers, and a microwave.

Is this possible? Does anyone see any potential problems?
    You are correct, you have a lot to learn. The batteries will be destroyed in an hour after they come in the morning. Nothing you have specified can even run a single computer.

Try something more like:

Panel Wattage = 3000 watts
    60 Amp MPPT controller
    48 volt Battery @ 600 AH
    5 Kwh True Sine Wave Inverter.

You are not even close.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• baronclaw
      • May 2013

small off-grid solar system

Originally posted by Sunking
      You are correct, you have a lot to learn. The batteries will be destroyed in an hour after they come in the morning. Nothing you have specified can even run a single computer.

Try something more like:

Panel Wattage = 3000 watts
      60 Amp MPPT controller
      48 volt Battery @ 600 AH
      5 Kwh True Sine Wave Inverter.

You are not even close.
      Okay, so let me pick your brains for a moment. 3000 watts for the panels. Is this number based on the sum of the peak wattage of all panels in the system? For instance, if I have 11 x 290w panels, that should do the trick right? As for the other figures that you mentioned, is there a formula that you used or are you basing your numbers on past experience? Also, can you explain "the batteries will be destroyed." If I were to use the incorrect figures that I mentioned in my last post, are you saying that the load would be too great? How would the batteries be destroyed?

Comment

Working...