What solar system needed to charge a 48v,20A battery within 6-8 hours?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • djchrisblue
    • Apr 2013

hello,
    we are currently working on a project of electric scooter that uses a 48v,20A battery.
    thanks,
    Chris
  • Naptown
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2011

Well that all depends on
    A- where you are
    B- what the state of discharge is
    C- what type of battery it is.
    D- What is the maximum charge rate as stated by the manufacturer.
    NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• djchrisblue
      • Apr 2013

I appreciate greatly your quick response. it encourages me to promote this forum to my colleagues.
      [QUOTE=Naptown;73846]Well that all depends on
      A- where you are :
      in Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam

B- what the state of discharge is.
      we will use the battery for an electric motorbike so we expect the state of discharge will be close to 100%.

Sealed Acid Battery. I attach the picture to this message.

D- What is the maximum charge rate as stated by the manufacturer.
      I will get this information by Monday.

thanks again for your quick and professional response.
      it really makes me feel good as novice in solar systems.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by djchrisblue
        B- what the state of discharge is.
        we will use the battery for an electric motorbike so we expect the state of discharge will be close to 100%.

Sealed Acid Battery. I attach the picture to this message.
        Well you had better make different plans. Using Lead Acid batteries in a Electric Vehicle is a plan for failure. No one who knows anything about EV's will not touch a Lead Acid Battery. You can get 10 times the range, and 10 times the cycle life at half the weight with lithium. Every Electric Vehicle released with Lead Acid batteries has failed and went bankrupt. So if you use Lead Acid you will go broke period.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• bonaire
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2012

Many or most of the active bike commuters using scooter types of bikes in China are indeed using Lithium. Either LiPoly or LiFEPO4 chemistries.
          PowerOne 3.6 x 2, 32 SolarWorld 255W mono

Comment

• djchrisblue
            • Apr 2013

Originally posted by bonaire
            Many or most of the active bike commuters using scooter types of bikes in China are indeed using Lithium. Either LiPoly or LiFEPO4 chemistries.
            Thanks for the advice.
            so if I take the lithium option to replace the sealed acid batery to provide 48v/20AH, what solar system would you recommend?

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

Thanks for the advice.
              so if I take the lithium option to replace the sealed acid batery to provide 48v/20AH, what solar system would you recommend?
              Well you are going to need 200 to 250 watts. But there is a catch, the panel voltage will need to be 62 volts or higher. You will also need a custom designed or modified charge controller. The good news a 48 volt 20 AH LFP has 4 to 5 times the range of a like Lead Acid battery and only weighs 1/4 as much and takes up 1/2 the space. That is why no one uses lead acid for E-Bikes or electric vehicles.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

• djchrisblue
                • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Sunking
                Well you are going to need 200 to 250 watts. But there is a catch, the panel voltage will need to be 62 volts or higher. You will also need a custom designed or modified charge controller. The good news a 48 volt 20 AH LFP has 4 to 5 times the range of a like Lead Acid battery and only weighs 1/4 as much and takes up 1/2 the space. That is why no one uses lead acid for E-Bikes or electric vehicles.
                based on your experience and knowledge, how could I make this happening.
                my project is to start a business of renting solar charged electric motorbikes.
                people rent the motorbike and instead of getting petrol from the station, they just get the battery replaced at any bike service center.
                the fleet will consist of 20 electric motorbikes for a start.

Comment

• Mike90250
                  • May 2009

So you need to look for a pre-packaged Kit, that has the batteries, the BMS built in, so you can easily swap battery packs. My fear would be someone has a low battery, and they try to "boost it" and blow themselves up because they don't know it's a special battery.

Here's some links to look at:
                  drop in car replacement (just ideas)

scooter packs:

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                  gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Sunking
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2010

my project is to start a business of renting solar charged electric motorbikes.
                    people rent the motorbike and instead of getting petrol from the station,
                    Your problem is competition. Your product will be significantly higher in price and less performance than the competitions even with fuel cost factored in. Th epetro bikes will be less expensive to rent, go further, faster, and less fuel expense. You will not be able to compete.

Then there is the technical challenges Mike brought up.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

• djchrisblue
                      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Sunking
                      Your problem is competition. Your product will be significantly higher in price and less performance than the competitions even with fuel cost factored in. Th epetro bikes will be less expensive to rent, go further, faster, and less fuel expense. You will not be able to compete.

Then there is the technical challenges Mike brought up.

thanks all for your input.
                      in Vietnam, petrol costs USD1.10 / liter on the display. actually it costs more as many pump controllers are tricked to display more volume than really poured into the bike.
                      my plan is to import electric scooters from China in parts, then assemble them in Vietnam.
                      considering scooter price + shipment + taxes I end up more or less with the same price than the petrol versions.
                      here in Vietnam, people ride at an average speed of 20-30 km / hour.
                      when they rent a bike, tourist spend an average of USD2 / day in petrol.
                      I plan to be at the same price than petrol.

I have a robotics engineering background but totally novice in Solar energy.

I really appreciate your input and advice on the above plan.

thanks,
                      Chris

Comment

• rainworm
                        • Jan 2013

great idea

I love your idea. Go for it.

Comment

• Werner
                          • May 2016

hello,
                          we are currently working on a project of electric scooter that uses a 48v,20A battery.
                          thanks,
                          Chris
                          Hello, I just discovered our post, and since we are planning a similar project in Central America, I would like to chat with you some more
                          Thanks, Werner

Comment

• Green life
                            • Jan 2019

I have a 48v 20ah lipro battery and I would like to turn it into a power source what kind of inverter and solar panels do I need to make this happen

Comment

• Mike90250
                              • May 2009

48V @ 20ah is only going to deliver 960wh at the most, what sort of load do you have in mind ?
                              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...