Can MPPT controllers step up voltage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can MPPT controllers step up voltage?

I am not planning on doing this, it was just something that I was thinking about this morning. I know MPPT controllers do very well when taking in a higher voltage and stepping it down to match the batteries (which is why they are so efficient!). So using the same methodology, MPPT controlers could step up voltage too then?!

If MPPT is designed to optimize panels to batteries, then it should work? The normal operation is usually having a higher voltage input than the battery, and the MPPT steps this down. Is it possible then to use a lower voltage input, and the MPPT will step it up to match the batteries? Or is the MPPT only programmed/designed/capable of stepping down the voltage?

Originally posted by daz View Post
    Is it possible then to use a lower voltage input, and the MPPT will step it up to match the batteries? Or is the MPPT only programmed/designed/capable of stepping down the voltage?
    There is no reason that a CC which incorporates MPPT could not also be able to step up the incoming voltage rather than just stepping it down. But it would add complexity and expense for very little, if any, advantage for users. So I do not know of any MPPT CCs that are built with that ability.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by daz View Post
      So using the same methodology, MPPT controlers could step up voltage too then?
      In theory yes and they are called buck converters. However there are no controllers on the market that can do that far as I know. It would defeat the purpose. The whole point of a MPPT controller is to take advantage of using more efficient higher voltage panels and up convert the current. As stated to do that would require more circuitry and expense to the consumer.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Thanks for the input guys! As you say, theoretically it is possible, although doubtful whether the manufacturer has designed it for that.

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
        The whole point of a MPPT controller is to take advantage of using more efficient higher voltage panels and up convert the current.
        I don't plan on doing it. As I said in the first post, I was just wondering if they could, as theoretically it is the same thing just in reverse

Comment

There is quite a few MPPT step up (boost) controllers on the market her is a couple of reviews

youtu.be/omAhsQqwWSo

youtu.be/mM6JTquNSZU
          Last edited by Mike90250; 01-06-2018, 07:57 PM. Reason: unlink URL's

Comment

Originally posted by fufuValve View Post
            There is quite a few MPPT step up (boost) controllers on the market her is a couple of reviews
            You are full of chit SPAMMER. There is one on the market today that was not available 5 years ago made by Genasun, targeted at Golf Cart users to use a single 24 volt battery panel on a 36 and 48 volt golf cart batteries. That is a Niche application and would be foolish to use for any other application. To be efficient and cost effective requires the panel voltage to be higher than the battery voltage. Example using 500 volts on a 48 volt battery as an extreme.
            Last edited by Sunking; 01-07-2018, 01:29 PM.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

I don't think he's a spammer, his links seem legit, although they appear to be for smaller applications like ebikes.

Comment

Originally posted by sdold View Post
                I don't think he's a spammer, his links seem legit, although they appear to be for smaller applications like ebikes.
                Perhaps but digging up a 5 year old thread, only two post, no credibility, and using links smells like a spam. Not to mention using a Boost function is very inefficient is just plain bad advice. Using BOOST is a NICHE application like a 200 watt panel on a 48 volt golf cart where you cannot use enough panels in series to reach the minimum 64 volts to charge a 48 volt battery. Higher voltage is always better, less expensive, and much more efficient. On Mikes forum would have gotten him banned permanently immediately with no questions asked.
                Last edited by Sunking; 01-07-2018, 09:22 PM.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
                X