Deionized or Distilled water in nife cells?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audion_1908
    • Feb 2012

Deionized or Distilled water in nife cells?

Can deionized water be used in nife cells instead of distilled water?
    I can buy deionized water cheaply in loads of shops anyware but distilled water I would have to buy online?

Deionized water 1 liter,
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by audion_1908
    I can buy deionized water cheaply in loads of shops anyware but distilled water I would have to buy online?
    Where do you live? Here in the USA distilled water can be bought at any grocery store in 5 gallon bottles used for water coolers.

As for Deionized water I would not use it because it does not remove all elements like distilled water does.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• russ
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2009

Like Sunking pointed out - Deionized water can still contain minerals - the TDS (total dissolved salts) can be quite high - that is the problem I have here.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• audion_1908
        • Feb 2012

I live in the UK, and it looks like I will have to look for some cheap distilled water

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

It's much easier to be sure you are getting GOOD distilled water, then DI water. At work we use DI water all the time, but we also have a small water plant to produce it, and monitored a dozen different ways.Likely costs $5 gallon to produce semiconductor grade DI water, but I doubt grocery store DI water is that good. I'm almost considering getting a "home style" water distiller for myself, to make my own water. I might start with DI water so the boil chamber does not crud up so fast.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Naptown
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2011

Make your own solar distillation unit Similar to the units made for desalinization where the water evaporates and is recondensed.
            NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• tandrews
              Solar Fanatic
              • Nov 2010

If you or a friend use a dehumidifier - collect the results.
              If the environment is dusty - run it thru a filter.
              Distilled water at home, usually in large quantities to need a dehumidifer.
              The cost is the electricity used.

Comment

• audion_1908
                • Feb 2012

I have done some online research and I agree that grocery store deionized water may be of unknown and variable quality.
                I have an old room dehumidifier but how can I test the water?

Comment

• audion_1908
                  • Feb 2012

I have bid on a small water distiller on ebay

Comment

I have tested store bought distilled water and indeed it is very good. I used a TDS meter on it and it was about 10 PPM of TDS or less as I recall. On the back of my meter a range of 0-50 PPM is in the range of distilled and deionized water. That is fine for battery refill. I would choose distilled water over deionized. Unless you have a TDS meter,which most people do not, I would buy distilled water or make your own. If you make your own then I would definitely get a TDS meter because you never know what you are really making unless you test the results. If you do have any type of battery bank I would invest in a TSD meter. They are about $50 and are well worth it. It takes the mystery out of what you are putting into your battery cells.

Comment

Since I do not have a dehumidifier I have never tested the results, but I would bet they would not be that good because of all the dirt and dust that can get into the humidifier from the surrounding environment. Usually basements and the locations where dehumidifiers are located are not the best environment, but I could be wrong. My advice. Go out a buy a TDS meter and test the water you add into your batteries. The less PPM the better.

Comment

• Sundetective
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by mostexpwnife
                        I have tested store bought distilled water and indeed it is very good. I used a TDS meter on it and it was about 10 PPM of TDS or less as I recall. On the back of my meter a range of 0-50 PPM is in the range of distilled and deionized water. That is fine for battery refill. I would choose distilled water over deionized. Unless you have a TDS meter,which most people do not, I would buy distilled water or make your own. If you make your own then I would definitely get a TDS meter because you never know what you are really making unless you test the results. If you do have any type of battery bank I would invest in a TSD meter. They are about $50 and are well worth it. It takes the mystery out of what you are putting into your battery cells.
                        John D'Angelo,

I'm already old. Your going to wear me out trying to get this Ni-Fe Game straightened out and flying right.

Yes deep down I loves it but we MUST strip this corrupt game All the way Down before it can Rise back Up again.

Thinking back to when I sent some of you Professional guys to BB School

Before going back into the "You have All been Locking The CO2 Fox Up in the Chicken Coop

sermon that I laid on you and Stephen Ellis of Zapp Works (Original Edison Ni-Fe Cells).

Let's get a quick primer on distilled water. Shall we.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Distilled water fallacy - test it

How many here have used distilled water for its neutral pH? I know that many of you have. Why? Because most literature out there
                        on gardening and even hydroponics says this is true. I am embarrassed to admit I never checked the pH of the distilled water before.
                        Rarely use the stuff as I use rain water.
                        Why post this? I was testing my soil and the kit called for distilled water for its neutral pH in order to test the pH of the soil. I figured
                        I would check the pH of the jug of distilled water with my hydro pH tester. I was surprised to find the pH at 5.5!!!!
                        I recalibrated my Milwaukee tester and measured again. Same. I pulled out the drops I have on hand for a backup in case the electronic
                        one fails. It read in the 5 range. I then assumed I had a bad jug or maybe it had been left in the sun somewhere and the plastic changed
                        the pH. I went to another store and bought a different brand of distilled water. This one was 5.3!!! Neutral my rear. I then proceeded to
                        research why this was so and if I had misread the multiple sources (gardening books and testing kit) on the pH of distilled water.
                        I found that all of them were wrong and simply repeat info because someone else says its so. When you actually research on the chemistry,
                        you find that distilled water actually normally has a low pH in the 5.5 range and you can find several sources with a good explanation as to
                        why that is. I was always told that distilled water is not good to drink because of the lack of minerals. I've found that confusing for a while
                        since it's supposedly okay to drink RO water, which also lacks those same "impurities". It turns out the real reason is that it may contribute
                        to a condition known as acidosis. Makes sense . . . when you find out that distilled water has a pH of 5.5 or so. <snip>

How many here have used distilled water for its neutral pH? I know that many of you have. Why? Because most literature out there on gardening and even hydroponics says this is true. I am embarrassed to admit I never checked the pH of the distilled water before. Rarely use the stuff as I use rain wat...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deionised/Demineralised Water

Distilled,deionised and demineralised water and measuring of the purity

It is quite difficult to find clear definitions and standards for distilled, demineralised and deionised water. Probably the easiest way to
                        familiarise in the topic of producing (ultra) pure water is to start with the oldest and best-know method: distilling.

Distilled water is water that has been boiled in an apparatus called a "still" and then recondensed in a cooling unit ("condenser") to return
                        the water to the liquid state. Distilling is used to purify water. Dissolved contaminants like salts are left behind in the boiling pot as the
                        water vapour rises away. It might not work if the contaminants are volatile so that they also boil and recondense, such as having some
                        dissolved alcohol. Very elegant stills can selectively condense (liquefy) water from other volatile substances, but most distillation processes
                        allow carry-over of at least some volatile substances, and a very little of the non-volatile material that was carried into the water vapour
                        stream as bubbles burst at the surface of the boiling water. Maximum purity from such stills is usually 1.0 MWcm; and since there is no
                        protection from carbon dioxide (CO2) dissolving into the distillate the pH is generally 4.5-5.0. Additionally, you have to be careful not to
                        re-contaminate the water after distilling it.

Deionisation: Process utilizing special-manufactured ion exchange resins which remove ionised salts from water. Can theoretically remove
                        100 % of salts. Deionisation typically does not remove organics, virus or bacteria except through
                        Last edited by Mike90250; 06-13-2012, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Please refraim Mr Blake

Again please do not address me as "john D'Angelo. I hope I am very clear on this. My first name is Tom. Please address em as TOM ok? Thanks.

Like I said before I am just telling people the facts about the tests I have performed on distilled water I have purchased at the local grocery store using a TDS meter. No BS.

It always amazing me that you do not seem to be capable to give a one or two paragraph reply to most posts here. You write a "book" others write a few paragraphs. Why are you so "wordy" may I ask?

I do not call your post a "quick primer" on distilled water but a thesis.There is nothing "quick" about reading through your post Bill. Can you try harder to make your posts more to the point That would help all of us readrs.

I expect you will reply to this post and if you do I challenge you to keep it to one paragraph.

Comment

• Sundetective
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by mostexpwnife
                            Again please do not address me as "john D'Angelo. I hope I am very clear on this. My first name is Tom. Please address em as TOM ok? Thanks.

Like I said before I am just telling people the facts about the tests I have performed on distilled water I have purchased at the local grocery store using a TDS meter. No BS.

It always amazing me that you do not seem to be capable to give a one or two paragraph reply to most posts here. You write a "book" others write a few paragraphs. Why are you so "wordy" may I ask?

I do not call your post a "quick primer" on distilled water but a thesis.There is nothing "quick" about reading through your post Bill. Can you try harder to make your posts more to the point That would help all of us readrs.

I expect you will reply to this post and if you do I challenge you to keep it to one paragraph.

John D'Angelo, Just because you made a Killin off this List and other Lists don't assume all these people are stupid!
                            Anyone can look through your old posts where you clearly identify yourself. I'll be as nice as possible but let's face it.
                            Your a criminal that likes to get over. I half like a good con-man to be honest with you but don't mess with me.
                            Your not near smart enough. At least a little of The word about your grab and fib prot
                            Last edited by Mike90250; 06-13-2012, 11:03 AM.

Comment

• russ
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jul 2009

OK girls - take your pissing contest elsewhere or act like grown adults!

Next post in this contest I will close the threads and then we will see what more has to be done.
                              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...