X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bradw
    • Apr 2010

50 watt panel for charger aa and aaa batteries

Hello all,

I am thinking of getting a la Crosse technolgy bc500 aa battery charger or perhaps the bc9000 battery charger to charge nimh aa batteries from a bp 50 watt panel. A 12 volt car adapter is available for both models so I am thinking I can use the panel to charge aa batteries with my panel.

I have no AC power in a very remote location. I also have a xantrex c50 controller if you suggest not to hook the panel with a direct feed to the to the car adapter.

Is this nuts or will it work and do I need to use the controller or not as Im thinking the battery charger itself will have the protection needed.

thanks

brad
  • 4321loco
    • Sep 2009

How many AA batts you want to charge?...Do you already own panel, or do you intend to buy just for this project?

I have one of those panels and the voltage goes up to 21 or 22 volts, if you plug the battery charger directly to the panel I am pretty sure it will fry it rapidly since its rated for 12 volts, 15volts would still probably pass but you asking for trouble.

I would install a charge controller and a small battery and simply hook up your AA charger to that main battery when needing to charge AA batteries....
    Last edited by 4321loco; 10-31-2011, 09:12 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

You will need a charge controller to regulate voltage and current.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• bradw
        • Apr 2010

I already have a 50 watt bp panel. I have about 30 of each aa and aaa batteries I woulds like to keep charged by topping them off every month. They are the new eneloops and imedions rated at 2000 and 2400 mah. I also already have a xantrex c12 controller. When using the controller, I am thinking about going from the controller to a cigarette plug female and then from the lacrosse charger directly via male cigarette plug directly to the female plug wired to the charge controller. I will be using anderson power poles for the connection from the controller to the female plug for convenience of being able to charge other items.

Does this sound feasible. I do use the lacrosse charger via 120 volt from the house and then take them with me to the cabin but this is a pain in just remembering to bring them along. Sometimes my family and I stay up in the woods for weeks at a time and using the panel is my only option as I have no utilities there. To remote. So is this totally nuts or will this work? Like I said I have everything already just dont want to build a tiny system that either will not work or is dangerous somehow

have a great day all

brad

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

Even with a C-12 controller, you need a 12V battery, to help regulate the system.Mono_2005_CS_061.JPG
          Batteries are on the bottom of the monolith:
          Mono_2005_CS_056.JPG
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by bradw
            I already have a 50 watt bp panel.
            Yes we know that already. You now need a custom designed charge controller to control the current and voltage, or a 12 volt battery and standard charge controller to power your charger.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

• bradw
              • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Sunking
              Yes we know that already. You now need a custom designed charge controller to control the current and voltage, or a 12 volt battery and standard charge controller to power your charger.
              Ok so I think I got this. Since I have the c12 controller, I will run the wires from my panel to the contoller, from the controller to the 12 volt battery and then from the load terminals of the controller out to a female adapter that will accept male cigarette adapter plug to charge or run 12 volt gadgets. Is this correct?

thanks all

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by bradw
                Ok so I think I got this. Since I have the c12 controller, I will run the wires from my panel to the contoller, from the controller to the 12 volt battery and then from the load terminals of the controller out to a female adapter that will accept male cigarette adapter plug to charge or run 12 volt gadgets. Is this correct?

thanks all
                That should work.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

• bradw
                  • Apr 2010

thank you

brad

Comment

• bradw
                    • Apr 2010

mike 90250 I have a question about this project

Hello Mike, I will be building something similar to the pictures you attached. My question is this: Can I use the proper size anderson power poles to be able to connect and disconnect the pv panel. I was thinking about coming out of the panel with 12 gauge wire down into the box a little ways and then being able to disconnect it from the battery with the power poles. In other words a few feet into the box from the panel and a few feet from the battery and in the middle put the power poles. I am looking for a way to be able to disconnect the panel for storage and to make my system a little more portable for the wife to be able to move around.

thanks Mike

brad

Comment

• Mike90250
                      • May 2009

Sure, anderson power pole connectors are great ways to make a system "plug n play". You can even get odd colors, or use different amp connectors, so that no mistakes can be made - the 5 A connector can't fit into the 15 A version.

If you cut off the MC4 connectors off the solar panel, you void the warranty. Solution: buy a MC extension cable, 3' works, cut it in half, and plug it into the Panel. Cost $20, but saves the warranty.
                      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...