Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nickel Iron (NiFe) Batteries ... The few, but Overwhelming and Towering Strengths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marcus278 View Post
    ...... Why? When I put these batteries into service, I installed a watering system from Battery Watering Systems, and this system failed miserably to do its job. Parts of the float mechanism were clearly not compatible with alkaline battery chemistry. Many cells were overwatered, chronically. This was not clear at the time, due to the difficulty assessing individual batteries in the array, with the watering system in place (it made it essentially impossible to closely inspect all the cells, systematically. Furthermore, overwatering individual cells led to float oil being floated out of the cells. At this point, I have wide variations in specific gravity, with some being optimal, some high, and some quite low (barely over 1!). Due to the loss of oil on many cells, and the frequent opening of cells for maintenance, since ripping out the BWS watering system, I am pretty certain there is significant carbonation........
    Any clue as to who mfg the watering caps ? I've just installed a set of caps on my bank, and have 2 caps leaking and dripping externally, and one overfilled a cell on day 1
    My caps are gray, with a "hydrometer port" and a straight thru in/out water line connection . Anything like yours ?

Caps_Compresed.jpg

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
    X