Edison Batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by isoutar View Post
    5/ It is true that they give off hydrogen as most batteries do. NiFe gives off more hydrogen than many other batteries and this chemical property is part of the reason that they last. With lead acid you are supposed to vent off the corrosive lead acid fumes. With NiFe it is hydrogen. Not a big deal ... just vent them and the problem is solved. NiFe can be fitted with catalytic caps that re-combine the h2 and o2 back into water that drips back into the battery.
    Do you have a source for the cat caps that fit the Changhong batteries ? I'd get 42 of them, if they last more than a couple years.

Just got my Pb batteries replaced, and I see (hear mostly) these critters bubbling away. I may be looking at 5-10 gallons a month of distilled in the summer time.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Mike,

How about a description of your system.....name and brands of stuff you're using with it, specifically charge controllers and inverters, if applicable.

I started with lead acid L-16's, ran across a great deal on some AGM AbsolyteGNPII, and am now using them, but I'd be interested in the Edison batteries too.

Thanks !

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
        Do you have a source for the cat caps that fit the Changhong batteries ? I'd get 42 of them, if they last more than a couple years.

Just got my Pb batteries replaced, and I see (hear mostly) these critters bubbling away. I may be looking at 5-10 gallons a month of distilled in the summer time.
        I have been talking with the guy at HydroCaps and may order his. I sent him one of the shipping caps from the ChangHong battery so he could see whether he could match the metric threads of the battery case. He could and sent me a sample. It fit perfectly. He tells me they can make the caps for the NiFe using the same chemistry as lead as the gases they are helping recombine are the same. I read somewhere, perhaps Home Pwr but don't quote me, that people were using HC's with Ni Fe batteries and happy with them; however, I do not personally know anyone who is using them for that so I cannot say til I get my own.

I have used his HydroCaps on two sets of lead acid forklift batteries over the years and have good results with them. Some people report that they do not last. I don't know about any other than mine: the latest batch I bought lasted about 20 yr. and were still working fine when I sold my forklift bank a couple weeks ago. I will probably order a set for my Ni Fe bank soon, just haven't gotten around to it.

The Ni Fe bank definitely uses significantly more distilled water than my lead acid, but of course I cannot compare directly yet as I don't the the HydroCaps for the new batteries. With the forklift batteries [1875 amp hr.] I added less than a gallon a year of water to the entire bank.

Comment

Working...
        X