Nickel Iron vs. Lead Acid - Off Grid battery debate

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike90250
    replied
    "hand made" Edison batteries - well, it's getting the materials, perf nickle and steel, and jamming them into jars.... Edison had a machine shop, and a factory to do it. For household size, it's beyond what I was willing to jump into. Pb batteries don't have a good shelf life, but maybe with a nitrogen purge, I could store them. So, I'm my own guinea pig. At least I'm not Dr. Moreau and won't spread hybrids around. (or GMO's)

of course, the attached chart is valuing my time at some $, but I'm not paying myself to water my own batteries. (hey, maybe that's a tax writeoff )
    Last edited by Mike90250; 09-07-2011, 07:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Offgrid
    replied
    Mike,for sure there are a lot of negatives and please forgive my niave question but for all the money you spending,couldnt you have bought a lifetime of FLA and then some and still have change?

Now dont get me wrong! a friend actually mentioned the topic of NiFe batteries and said we should make our own and it really sounds cool so I am really interested but I have had my time wasted with DIY panels....making your own NiFe batteries just seems like more wasted time and a lot of danger? Would you agree?

Leave a comment:

• Iron Bran
    replied
    Pick up battery book?

Originally posted by Iron Bran
    I really like the opening line;

"It is quite possible that the man who has taught us to put up electricity in bottles has accomplished greater things than any other inventor who has yet appeared."

-- The New York Times, June 11, 1881

http://www.amazon.com/Bottled-Lightn...0701346&sr=1-1
    Mike, it sounds like you may have some vacation coming up. Why not pick up a fun battery book??? =)

All the best,
    Bran

Leave a comment:

• Sunking
    replied
    For those looking for Nickel Iron battery prices to include in your calculations, this may be a good resource.

http://ironedison.com/store
    You cannot promote your products or web site here.

Leave a comment:

• Iron Bran
    replied
    Iron Edison Battery Store

For those looking for Nickel Iron battery prices to include in your calculations, there may be some updated resources online.
    Last edited by Naptown; 09-07-2011, 05:08 PM. Reason: You may not use links in your signature

Leave a comment:

• Mike90250
    replied
    They are expen$ive. All that nickel, they may as well be $tainless$teel.
    And they are not nearly as dense as the lead acid batteries. takes up about 4x the floor space in the battery room. And higher internal resistance, so more loss, and less surge capacity, so next size up. And a bit less efficient (70% vs Pb 80%) Ouch. So it's basicaly fear of not being able to get any batteries 10 years from now. I'm buying my battery changes NOW, instead of spreading it out over 40 years of replacements (4 sets) of lead acid.

and I now hear they are hung up in customs waiting for inspection. And my vacation time is already scheduled at my company, so I go to the ranch and wait. Plenty of other things to do.

Leave a comment:

• Offgrid
    replied
    Mike.How is you NiFe bank treating you?

Just curious...A battery that lasts so long and can be completely drained with out the ill effects.Sounded nice.So was just wondering how its going and if you miss your FLA's. (Dont even start with me Sunking) ;P

Leave a comment:

• Iron Bran
    replied
    Bottled Lightning

Originally posted by Mike90250
    link ? source ?

I really like the opening line;

"It is quite possible that the man who has taught us to put up electricity in bottles has accomplished greater things than any other inventor who has yet appeared."

-- The New York Times, June 11, 1881

Leave a comment:

• Mike90250
    replied
    Have you read Bottled Lightning? A must-read for Ni-Fe fans!
    link ? source ?

Leave a comment:

• Iron Bran
    replied
    List of Ni-Fe resources

Historical info and retail sales of ni-fe batteries:
    Terravolt, LLC: Solar Design, Consulting, Project Management, Tech Support, Permit assistance, Installer Referrals: Off-grid, grid-tied, DIY, EPC

US Patent No. 827,297
    Alkaline Battery
    Patented July 31, 1906
    by Thomas Alva Edison
    ( .PDF )
    Download@FreePatentsOnline
    Complete Patent Searching Database and Patent Data Analytics Services.

Nickel-Iron Battery
    From Wikipedia

NiFe Safety Lamp
    @Mine-Explorer

Charging Caving Batteries
    Cambridge Underground 1979
    pages 51-55
    @Cambridge University Caving Club Archive Site

The Edison Alkaline Storage Battery
    by the Technical Staff of the
    Edison Storage Battery Company, 1924.
    Download@GoogleBooks

Some Notes on the Edison
    Nickel-Iron Storage Battery
    by F.M. Davis

~ from :

Journal of the Western Society of Engineers,
    Volume 9, Western Society of Engineers, 1904,
    page 521.
    Download@GoogleBooks

Edison's Struggle to
    Build a Better Battery

~ from :

Popular Science Magazine
    December 1959, page 132.
    Preview@GoogleBooks
    Popular Science gives our readers the information and tools to improve their technology and their world. The core belief that Popular Science and our readers share: The future is going to be better, and science and technology are the driving forces that will help make it better.

Nickel/Iron Batteries

~ from :

Electrochemical Power Sources :
    Primary and Secondary Batteries
    by Monty Barak
    IET, 1980.
    Preview@GoogleBooks
    The variety and scope of primary and secondary battery applications in domestic goods and capital equipment for civilian and military uses has steadily grown over the years. Annual global sales of the battery business are exceeding £4000 million, encouraging a number of books on individual battery systems. This book is intended to bring together the key features of five electrochemical power sources. Outlining the historical background and basic principles of the direct conversion of electrochemical energy into DC electricity, this book also gives salient details of the manufacturing processes, performances under different conditions of operations and the services for which the batteries are mainly used. This books aims to provide information to graduate electrochemists, engineers working in universities and technical colleges, in Government and other technological institutions, and particularly those engaged in the development of portable power sources and in the design and use of equipment using these devices.

The Nickel-Iron Battery :
    Another Enduring Tough One

~ from :

Electric Motors & Control Techniques
    by Irving M. Gottlieb
    McGraw-Hill Professional, 1994,
    pages 251-253.
    Preview@GoogleBooks
    Publisher's Note: Products purchased from Third Party sellers are not guaranteed by the publisher for quality, authenticity, or access to any online entitlements included with the product.This book will show you how different types of motors operate and how electronic control devices can be used to improve efficiency in a wide range of applications.Get greater flexibility, reliability, and reduced energy consumption from household appliances to automobiles. This book will show you how different types of motors operate and how electronic control devices can be used to improve efficiency in a wide range of applications. You'll get in-depth, updated coverage of: Electric motor control applications; dc and ac motors; Digital motors; Commutator-type motors; Noncommutator-types motors; Electric vehicles.

Nickel-Iron Batteries

~ from :

Understanding Batteries
    by David Anthony James Rand
    Royal Society of Chemistry, 2001,
    page 131.
    Preview@GoogleBooks
    Batteries are becoming increasingly important in today's world of portable electronic devices, along with the need to store electricity derived from solar and other renewable forms of energy, and the desire to introduce electric and hybrid electric vehicles to reduce emissions. Understanding Batteries is a must for all those seeking a straightforward explanation of how batteries are constructed, their operation, and the factors determining their performance and life. Beginning with a brief history of the development of batteries and a discussion of their applications and markets, the book goes on to outline the basic terminology and science of batteries. The different types of primary (non-rechargeable) and secondary (rechargeable) batteries are then described and emphasis is given to the importance of matching the battery to the intended application. Examples are given to demonstrate how to define and prioritise the various criteria which comprise the battery specification. Throughout, the chemistry is kept as simple as possible. Understanding Batteries will appeal to a wide range of readers, including electrical equipment manufacturers and users, engineers and technicians, chemistry and materials science students, teachers and the interested battery user.

Nickel-Iron Batteries

~ from :

The Principles Underlying Radio Communication
    Issue 40 of United States Army Signal Corps
    Radio Communication Pamphlet
    by Richard Sheldon Ould,
    Government Printing Office, 1922,
    page 69.
    Download@GoogleBooks

The Edison Battery

~ from :

A Course in Electrical Engineering,
    Volume 1, by Chester Laurens Dawes,
    McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1920,
    page 115.
    Download@GoogleBooks

Characteristics of Nickel-Iron Cells

~ from :

Storage Batteries :
    A Handbook on the Storage Battery
    for Practical Men
    by Christian John Hawkes
    The William Hood Dunwoody
    Industrial Institute, 1920,
    page 39.
    Download@GoogleBooks

Nickel-Iron Technology

~ from :

Materials Technology in the
    Near-Term Energy Program
    U.S. National Research Council
    National Academy of Science, 1974,
    page 128.
    Download@GoogleBooks

Iron/Nickel Oxide Battery

~ from :

Assessment of Research Needs
    for Advanced Battery Systems
    U.S. National Research Council
    National Academy Press, 1982,
    page 31.
    Download@GoogleBooks

The Nickel-Iron or Edison Storage Cell

~ from :

Practical Electricity
    by Terrell Croft
    McGraw-Hill, 1917,
    page 263.
    Download@GoogleBooks

Nickel-Iron Alkali Cell

~ from :

Applied Electricity for Practical Men
    by Arthur John Rowland
    McGraw-Hill, 1916,
    page 301.
    Download@GoogleBooks

Nickel-Iron-Alkaline Cell

~ from :

Electricity and Magnetism
    International Textbook Co., 1914,
    page 37.
    Download@GoogleBooks

Leave a comment:

• Iron Bran
    replied
    Amazing wiki by Gregot

Truly impressive work you have done. I stumbled across your work the other day. Thank you for your efforts.

Have you read Bottled Lightning? A must-read for Ni-Fe fans!

Originally posted by gregor88
    Hello everyone,

I am from the project at http://opensourceecology.org/wiki/Nickel-iron_batteries . I know the page is pretty messy right now and I intend to clean it up when I get the chance.

You can see in the related pages section that I am thinking of making a spreadsheet which would calculate the lowest cost system that will meet the criteria of fully meeting all load demands except on 3 for an average of 1 day per 5 years. That is a good way to design a system.

Then I would swap in nife batteries for lead acid and calculate the total cost of ownership (including maintenance and replacement) at the 5 and 10 year mark. A good way to compare the 2 technologies financially.

Leave a comment:

• russ
    replied
    Hi Greg - Welcome to Solar Panel Talk!

Looks impressive to me - of course my knowledge of batteries is very limited!

Good detailed and correct information is a real help to people looking to learn what is really available.

Good start and I wish you success!

Russ

Leave a comment:

• gregor88
    replied
    Also, if anyone has any good documents on Nife batteries, can you add them to the library section?

Leave a comment:

• gregor88
    replied
    Hello everyone,

I am from the project at http://opensourceecology.org/wiki/Nickel-iron_batteries . I know the page is pretty messy right now and I intend to clean it up when I get the chance.

You can see in the related pages section that I am thinking of making a spreadsheet which would calculate the lowest cost system that will meet the criteria of fully meeting all load demands except on 3 for an average of 1 day per 5 years. That is a good way to design a system.

Then I would swap in nife batteries for lead acid and calculate the total cost of ownership (including maintenance and replacement) at the 5 and 10 year mark. A good way to compare the 2 technologies financially.

Leave a comment:

• Iron Bran
    replied
    Glass Jars

Fanmail from a museum in Parko, Wy

Leave a comment:

Working...