Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what size solar pannel to charge a single aa fully?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PNjunction View Post
    Do you know how to program an Arduino to detect the EOC dv/dt of a nimh battery?
    Are you kidding me? I thought everyone knew how to do that.
    Hmm, no I have no idea what it even means, But maybe I should just get some solar panels that can charge a AA fully and then in time add to the circuit. but your right, it seems to be going around in circles lol.

Ok, back to the original post then.
    I think I will just make the charger with only a diode and add to the circuit when and if I think I have to.
    My diodes should be here soon and they are 1N5817 1A 20V Schottky low forward v drop.
    and I see this solar panel, specs below

Power: 0.6W
    Voltage: 2V 300mAh
    Material:Polycrystalline
    Size: 82x70x3mm
    Weight:21g

from what ive learned I think this will work.
    I will do some test and see what the values are, so I know the tolerances before I kill any batteries.
    if you don't see anything wrong with the above, then that's what I will do.

I use to watch the young ones also I'm more like Vivian than Neil lol

Comment

Originally posted by SimonF1 View Post

from what ive learned I think this will work.
      What have you learned? It looks like you are just ignoring the advice that was given.
      CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

When it comes to this thread, I sometimes feel like Rick!

RIP Rik Mayall .. although I know he's still doing stand-up somehow...
        Last edited by PNjunction; 01-19-2016, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sensij View Post

What have you learned? It looks like you are just ignoring the advice that was given.
          I've learned loads over the past week not just from this site but others also.
          I now know that the 1N4007 that i was origanaly using has a forward voltage drop off 0.6 so only leaving 0.9 to charge the battery, I've learned how to test the mAh in a live circuit using a multimeter, also the rule is not to charge batteries over 10% of their mAh so I should really not go above 190mAh on my 1900mAh eneloop's, a rule I know I'm breaking.

The idea of this post was to get advice on the solar pannel size I would need to charge 1 AA battery.

I've not ignored anyone in here and I appreciate everyones help.
          If it looks like i have ignored people, then I'm sorry as that's not the impression I want to project.

I'm drawing my final conclusion on post #10 as I only need to scale my plastic housing parts to fit the new panel size.

I'm done here now and just want to thank everyone for your help and I will try and take as much information in as possible, but its overwhelming at times.

Comment

Ok, glad you reached a conclusion. After you've killed a couple batteries and are ready to learn more, we'll be here. it might be good to start with the difference between mA and mAh.

Comment

Originally posted by sensij View Post
              Ok, glad you reached a conclusion. After you've killed a couple batteries and are ready to learn more, we'll be here. it might be good to start with the difference between mA and mAh.
              What's your ****ing problem pal?
              I'm getting a bit sick of your attitude.
              and no I will not come back here if and when I need help, why would I want to come back and speak to a prick like you?
              now **** off somewhere else and be unhelpful there instead. tosser.

Comment

You asked if there was anything wrong with your plan. There is. Some of it has already been explained in the thread, and some relates to how the solar panel works and what current you should realistically expect to see. You seem uninterested in digging in to those details at this time, but maybe with more experience, you'll think differently. I share your joy at seeing science in action in homemade devices, and am not trying to discourage your project at all. I hope you understand that solar powered battery charging equipment has evolved from the simple circuits you suggest for some very sound reasons, each step forward on top of a pile of batteries that died for the cause.

Comment

you do not wish to track the sun, you seem uninterested in using 2 cells to reduce charging time, so take your time and let the charger under or over charge and ruin your batteries and learn the hard way. Sometimes the least patient persons have the most to offer, I am patient, but I am also still learning. It takes patients to learn from a less patient person, the choice is yours.
                  4X Suniva 250 watt, 8X t-105, OB Fx80, dc4812vrf

Comment

See the Young Ones video of University Challenge on youtube and it will all become clear.

Comment

Working...
                    X