Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fisheye
    • Jun 2013

Trying out something Ac for 3000sf home

Trying to decide whether to use nickel iron batteries for an offgrid home of 3000 sq foot+. Would like to know if 40 of the 1000 amp hour batteries would work to cool my home adequately.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

welcome

I moved your question to it's own thread.

40 of the 1000 amp hour batteries
    Not likely. We have no idea of the weather. Desert, or Monsoon heat? Heat Pump, Ground source heat pump, swamp cooler ?

But in the end, you have to look at when you run your cooling loads. If you synchronize them with the sunlight, you can install an enormous PV array and not impact your batteries. If you want to run coolers all night, you will need something other than batteries - a small generator could do it.

Even with NiFe batteries, you don't want to cycle them too deeply, it will shorten their life. And you need to plan for the electrolyte change out - my 800ah cells weigh about 80# each, hard to lift each one and dump it out.

So you have to plan your loads and PV system very carefully, to create a balanced setup. We can help you do this. You will have to go with the latest high efficiency units to get the most out of your system. New appliances and insulated building, costs less than 20 more panels & batteries.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Sure you can do it if money is no object. To do so you volunteer to pay 10 times more electricity the rest of your life.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• inetdog
        Super Moderator
        • May 2012

Originally posted by Fisheye
        Trying to decide whether to use nickel iron batteries for an offgrid home of 3000 sq foot+. Would like to know if 40 of the 1000 amp hour batteries would work to cool my home adequately.
        There is a big difference between building a 3000 sf house in a location where there is no grid and getting it would cost too much and taking an on-grid 3000 sf house off-gird. The latter just does not make any sense except for bragging rights.
        Now adding a grid-tied PV system big enough to offset most or all of your power bill, or at least the A/C part of it could easily make sense. That would depend on power costs and available incentives in your particular area and your POCO.
        Similarly taking your A/C load off your generator when you have no grid is a different calculation, and will still need to use the generator from time to time.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Fisheye
          • Jun 2013

offgrid with a 3000 sq. ft

Originally posted by inetdog
          There is a big difference between building a 3000 sf house in a location where there is no grid and getting it would cost too much and taking an on-grid 3000 sf house off-gird. The latter just does not make any sense except for bragging rights.
          Now adding a grid-tied PV system big enough to offset most or all of your power bill, or at least the A/C part of it could easily make sense. That would depend on power costs and available incentives in your particular area and your POCO.
          Similarly taking your A/C load off your generator when you have no grid is a different calculation, and will still need to use the generator from time to time.
          This makes more sense for south central texas hill country, although humidity is somewhat low and breezes are usually nice.Cost for power is roughly 20K in my case. Just weighing my options. Seems that offgrid would be a huge expense. My age is 54 and wont build for another 8 years or so anyway. Doing a grid tie would probably be smartest. Thanks for your input. Do however like listeroids and small wind turbine technology.Might go offgrid for my garage.

Comment

• russ
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Fisheye
            small wind turbine technology.Might go offgrid for my garage.
            Do a lot of studying on the wind turbine point - unless you love to tinker and don't really care if you have power the small turbines are generally a sick joke.
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...