Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fireofenergy
    • Nov 2009

Want LiFePo4 charger that can...

Handle the 17 or so volts from a 10 to 50 watt panel, and convert it to the necessary 3.6v needed to charge a LiFePO4 (I plan to have at least 10Ah to at most 40Ah). This is for a powerful solar utility light made with a single Cree XML (or two in parallel). I understand that the switching converter would output about 4.5 times the input current (and thus must be robust). I also would need a decent (but also inexpensive) lifepo4 PCB, to prevent overcharge. Since these batteries can be (mostly) charged in as little as 45 minutes, I think it would be cool to be able to charge multiple portable lights that are as bright as "normal 120v" lights from a single 30 watt panel.
    How would I best learn more about getting these parts (or in having a complete all in one circuit board)?
    Thanks
    Without massive amounts of clean energy
    There will be no FREEDOM
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Everyone wants one. But the chargers need to be designed for each battery pack style, or you have a mess when it cooks. They are much less forgiving than lead acid batteries.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• fireofenergy
      • Nov 2009

Ya, I figured the wall and other sources are not "perfectly" constant voltage, why not from a panel. Actually, was wondering if such a devise (in excess of 10A or so) exists yet...
      Thanks.
      Ok, another question...
      I just got a 30 watt panel and want to charge up some lead acids. I want a SLA and was wondering if it matters which brand I buy, for such a small system? (Ebay sellers don't seem to list dates and plate thickness)
      Without massive amounts of clean energy
      There will be no FREEDOM

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

You got to make one or modify an existing charger.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...