Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skimzzz
    • Jan 2024

Understanding Boost voltage vs Float voltage for a LiFePO4

I have boost voltage settings of 14.4V and a float voltage of 13.5V. From what I've read, boost voltage is what the controller will charge to (fully charged state), and float voltage is what the controller will maintain as the battery voltage dips. How does the controller identify when it is charging toward the 14.4V level and when it should be maintaining the 13.5V level? Unless programmed otherwise, I would think the controller would stop charging every time the voltage climbed above the float (13.5V) and therefore, never reach anywhere near boost (14.4V).
  • littleharbor2
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2016

Once your controller fully charges your battery it should maintain float voltage as long as your PV is making enough power to cover your loads and a slight trickle at float voltage If your loads are more than your PV can cover your battery voltage will decrease to some auto, or preset rebulk.
    Typically, in a well designed system you would rarely go into rebulk unless you have unusually large loads once your battery is full or the clouds roll in.
    2 Kw PV Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 460ah,

Comment

Working...