Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Picked up a set of Enphase Encharge 3 batteries - how do I charge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked up a set of Enphase Encharge 3 batteries - how do I charge?

Just need to store for a good 3-6 months before I install. I know they make ac to dc chargers but what can I use to charge these batteries? Here is the spec sheet and any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. https://enphase.com/sites/default/fi...DS-EN-US_0.pdf

Can you access the battery terminals to see what the state of charge is? I believe the chemistry is LFP and a nominal 48 V but check my assumption to be sure. Anything around 52-53 V would be good. 53 is resting voltage of fully charged cells. If you have a way to drain the battery 51-52 would get you closer to 50% for storage.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

I can access the cables for sure. How can I charge it? Can I buy one of those ac to dc plug in to trickle charge or do you think it would be best to try to hook it up to an 60A MPPT setup? Appreciate the help!

Comment

If it were me, I would measure the voltage before thinking about charging. If it was above 50 volts I would not even charge it. Of course that assumes is is 16 LFP cells? LFP has very little self discharge, so storing it for 6 months or a year should be okay.

Comment

Appreciate the help here tremendously.

Comment

Looks like the charge is low so I will have to find a way to charge it. Anyone know How I attach this battery to a solar system that is not Enphase? Can I just buy a charger, if so, what kind? The batteries are AC I believe so maybe a hybrid charger/controller will work? Any help would be appreciated- thank you.

Comment

The batteries are DC but the interface is AC. If you are not comfortable using a multimeter to probe the insides of this complex device and determining the actual battery voltage I would not recommend doing much further. Did you ever determine the battery voltage? How did you conclude the batteries were low.
              The Enphase system is complex and I have not seen an examples of people connecting them to anything other than an Enphase system, which by the way has several additional parts which are expensive.
              Last edited by Ampster; 10-13-2022, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by capvent View Post
                Looks like the charge is low so I will have to find a way to charge it. Anyone know How I attach this battery to a solar system that is not Enphase?
                They are AC batteries. You connect them to AC. They will not charge (or discharge) without an Enphase control system.

Comment

Working...
                X