EVE or CATL LiFeP04 304/302Ahr batteries? Good, Bad, Other ...?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sidpost
    • Mar 2022

EVE or CATL LiFeP04 304/302Ahr batteries? Good, Bad, Other ...?

I am looking at Docan Power out of Houston, Tx so, no 'over the water' shipping concerns or costs. I am looking at 16 batteries for a ~48VDC system on 3,700W of panels. I am thinking about a JBD BMS but, am undecided. I need to start with batteries ...

My two viable choices are CATL 302Ah or EVE 304Ah batteries at $158 each plus sales tax with free delivery to East Texas from Docan Power. I see a lot of talk about EVE batteries and they have a really strong following on another solar forum prior to being nuked by the site owner. CATL batteries seem to be the main transportation/bus batteries in use in China so, they seem like a really solid option but, I haven't really seen much about them on English forums that are USA-based.

Is there any reason to choose one over the other? Or, perhaps something else? I'm not interested in the 6U racks with 1U 100Ah cell packs like the EG4/Gyll packs. Power walls are simply too expensive. In a house and for a simpler install, these have merit but, I need higher capacity at a better cost per KW/hr for my more rural application. Basically, power is spotty out here from the PUC (utility) and I need to keep my water well in service and my fridge running. A few lights and a radio would be nice too!

TIA,
    Sid
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Even texas, do you have any cold issues that would shut the batteries down at 32F ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Ampster
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jun 2017

Originally posted by sidpost
      I am looking at Docan Power out of Houston, Tx so, no 'over the water' shipping concerns or costs. I am looking at 16 batteries for a ~48VDC system on 3,700W of panels. I am thinking about a JBD BMS but, am undecided. I need to start with batteries ...

My two viable choices are CATL 302Ah or EVE 304Ah batteries at $158 each plus sales tax with free delivery to East Texas from Docan Power. I see a lot of talk about EVE batteries and they have a really strong following on another solar forum prior to being nuked by the site owner. CATL batteries seem to be the main transportation/bus batteries in use in China so, they seem like a really solid option but, I haven't really seen much about them on English forums that are USA-based.

Is there any reason to choose one over the other? .............
      Sid
      I have heard good things about Docan on that other forum. That forum just adopted the same policy about no ads as this forum but you can still find plenty of posts about the experience other users have had. I have 42kWh of EVE 280 Ahr cells and they have performed well. At the time I purchased my pack two years ago it was not as easy to get CATL cells or I would probably have purchase them because I knew more about CATLs reputation than EVE.
      9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• sidpost
        • Mar 2022

Originally posted by Mike90250
        Even texas, do you have any cold issues that would shut the batteries down at 32F ?
        I have seen as low as 12F at my house at the top of a hill and my friend in a valley one mile away saw 8F. Friday morning is supposed to be in the low 20's (22F~24F) and Saturday is projected currently as 28F.

I'm about 250 miles from the Gulf in East Texas (East of Dallas).

Comment

• littleharbor2
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2016

As far as "something else" Have you looked at the Eve 280 ah K series with a claimed 6,000 cycles? I probably would have bought them had I knew about them when I bought my batteries.
          2 Kw PV Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 460ah,

Comment

• sidpost
            • Mar 2022

Originally posted by littleharbor2
            As far as "something else" Have you looked at the Eve 280 ah K series with a claimed 6,000 cycles? I probably would have bought them had I knew about them when I bought my batteries.
            The 302Ah CATL and 304Ah EVE batteries are long-life high cycle batteries too. And in my case, cost the same. I'm not sure what advantage an EVE 280Ah "K" series would have over the others I'm looking at. If someone has tangible data to suggest they are better, I would appreciate it or a link to it. From what I can tell, EVE and CATL batteries today are manufactured to very similar levels and have very similar lifespans

I see most of them rated at 7,000 cycles but, depending on your discharge levels, this could be 10,000 cycles or only 5,000 cycles in actual use.

Comment

Working...