Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dlpca1
    • Jan 2016

Lithium batteries

Hi, I have a flexmax 80 that I need to configure to a 10kw lithium ion battery pack so I'm asking is there anybody that can guide me through the configuration.
    I have a 48v xantrex inverter and the flexmax80 charger controller.
    any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  • Ampster
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Dlpca1
    Hi, I have a flexmax 80 that I need to configure to a 10kw lithium ion battery pack so I'm asking is there anybody that can guide me through the configuration.
    I have a 48v xantrex inverter and the flexmax80 charger controller.
    Before I can offer any help, I need a few more details about your Lithium battery pack. What chemistry is it? LFP (LiFePO4) or NMC? How many cells in series? Does it have a BMS? If so what kind and do you have access to its data.
    The battery pack would be rated in terms of kWhs not kW. How big is the inverter in kWs and what are your expected loads in kW. I assume you will be charging from solar so what size in kW is your solar system?
    I do not have a Flexmax but have another Outback inverter so we should be able to figure out the settings based on Outback terminology.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• Dlpca1
      • Jan 2016

Battery LFP 15 cells ..3297mv per cell
      Xantrex XW Series Hybrid Inverter/Charger is a true sine wave inverter/ ... 8.0 kW, 48 VDC, 120/240
      panels supply 7.9kw
      I have the system from 2014 just upgrading to the lithium batteries which is actually 10kwh
      Attached Files

Comment

• Ampster
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2017

15 cells is unusual for a LFP pack but I will give you some tentative values at the cell level and multiply by 15 to give you the pack level voltage. I think in terms of two phases or modes of charging; Constant Current and Constant Voltage.
        CC often described as Bulk and CV is often called Absorb. You should confirm but on my Outback charge controller that is what they are called.
        I would set CV at 3.40 volts per cell. (51.0 for the pack. According to the attachment these cells can be charged at 200 Amps so anything below that would be safe. You can use your existing Bulk current setting. For the time being, disable Equalize and Float.
        If you have a setting for absorb time give it one hour. If Amp give it a number that is 10% of the charging current that your system is charging at. Most BMSs turn on balancing at 3.4 volts per cell so those settings should allow some time for any needed balancing. Keep an eye on the pack and note voltages and current as the pack is charged.
        Two other settings are High Voltage Disconnect and Low Voltage Disconnect. Set HVD at 3.65 per cell and LVD at 3.0. That might need to be coordinated with a similar setting on the BMS if you know it. The theory is the BMS should be the last failsafe device but you want the Inverter to stop charging or discharging before the BMS disconnects. Did you ever find out if the BMS settings can be queried or adjusted?

The above are conservative because if the pack is a used pack you want to give it some cycles to see if the pack is balanced. The same may apply to a new pack depending on how well it is balanced. What is the brand of LFP cells or pack that you are using?
        Last edited by Ampster; 11-10-2021, 01:03 PM.
        9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• Dlpca1
          • Jan 2016

Thanks for your help i will do the configuration and see how it goes.
          Here is the website for the battery bank

Comment

Working...