Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • travissand
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2018

For some reason it only let me upload one picture. I was trying to put up more than that to give you a better idea of what I've been up to since I got the lithium batteries. I'm on android, maybe if I try from a desktop. You can see by the state of charge that I don't really cycle much percentage because my battery bank is quite large compared to my need. I just pretty much try and use only as much as I harvested. Over the weeks slowly my state of charge will go down until one day we get a massive amount of sun and it gets me way up quick. Recently though I have actually introduced charging electric cars and air conditioning in the house so my needs are changing and I need more panels and I'm thinking of putting a 200 kwh battery on my house instead of 65 kwh.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by travissand; 10-14-2022, 01:26 AM.

Comment

• Old_Man
      • Feb 2018

Originally posted by GeorgeF

Can someone convince me that I, in 2021, must switch to lithium if my lead acid is near eol ??
      Nope. I wouldn't even try.

Comment

• ThisTime
        • Oct 2021

Originally posted by ThisTime

I usually average about 5 years with a cell phone. That's about when the battery becomes unusable. Roughly 1 cycle per day, probably between 50% and 90% DOD most days, then left on the charger all night. That's over 1800 cycles. I've done this multiple times.

I have a bunch of lithium power tool batteries dating back to early 2014. I don't know how many cycles they have had, but not thousands. The 7 year old batteries are still holding about 75% as much as newer batteries, I think they're dying of old age before I can wear them out.
        So, a year and a half later I wanted to give an update. Of my original 2014 18v tool batteries one finally died. My first one ever, and I have a huge set of these. They have Sony cells inside. I was actually a bit sad about it dying after so much time! In the past I used to cycle it on a daily basis using a fan from 100% to 0% because I wanted to test the warranty service of Ridgid power tools. I wanted to break it but it would not! They sent me a brand new battery after 9 years of service from the old one! Total cycles unknown, definitely beyond 1,000. Also frequently overheated when using with big power tools.

My cell phone is going on 7 years now. Galaxy S7. Original battery is definitely low capacity now, but, has been used daily for 7 years.

Also - about 2 years ago I was charging a 22AH SLA battery in my house at 6amps. The damn thing nearly burned my house down. I left for 45 minutes, the house was full of smoke, the battery itself was so hot the plastic was melting and it was venting horrible horrible fumes. I've never had a single issue with a lithium battery causing fire. At nearly the same time the lead acid starting battery in my truck and 2 different lawnmowers died. I went on a quest to rid myself of all lead acid forever...

Today, my lawnmowers have a lithium starting battery. My truck has a lithium starting battery. Even my pressure washer has a lithium starting battery. They all cost less, and perform significantly better, with less weight, than the lead acid batteries ever did. There is no reason to buy lead acid in 2023, you can easily get quality lithium for less than $100/KWH if you are capable of assembling it yourself.

Comment

• Old_Man
          • Feb 2018

Originally posted by thistime

so, a year and a half later i wanted to give an update. Of my original 2014 18v tool batteries one finally died. My first one ever, and i have a huge set of these. They have sony cells inside. I was actually a bit sad about it dying after so much time! In the past i used to cycle it on a daily basis using a fan from 100% to 0% because i wanted to test the warranty service of ridgid power tools. I wanted to break it but it would not! They sent me a brand new battery after 9 years of service from the old one! Total cycles unknown, definitely beyond 1,000. Also frequently overheated when using with big power tools.

My cell phone is going on 7 years now. Galaxy s7. Original battery is definitely low capacity now, but, has been used daily for 7 years.

Also - about 2 years ago i was charging a 22ah sla battery in my house at 6amps. The damn thing nearly burned my house down. I left for 45 minutes, the house was full of smoke, the battery itself was so hot the plastic was melting and it was venting horrible horrible fumes. I've never had a single issue with a lithium battery causing fire. At nearly the same time the lead acid starting battery in my truck and 2 different lawnmowers died. i went on a quest to rid myself of all lead acid forever...

today, my lawnmowers have a lithium starting battery. My truck has a lithium starting battery. Even my pressure washer has a lithium starting battery. They all cost less, and perform significantly better, with less weight, than the lead acid batteries ever did. There is no reason to buy lead acid in 2023, you can easily get quality lithium for less than $100/kwh if you are capable of assembling it yourself.
          thank you!!!

Comment

• ThisTime
            • Oct 2021

Originally posted by Old_Man

thank you!!!
            A few weeks ago my buddy was telling me about his new super duper $200 lead truck battery and it was amazing and would last forever. The highest tech 200 year old batteries have ever seen. I couldn't bring myself to show him my homemade LifePo4 starting battery that cost $88 to build, puts out over 3,200 cranking amps, and can be fully recharged in 8 minutes, while most likely lasting a decade or more, and weighs a total of 15lbs.

I don't care what you did to that lead, it is not better than lithium. Or cheaper. Or higher capacity. Period. Unless you just wrapped a lithium battery in lead foil. Not to mention my truck battery looks like a freakin' flux capacitor...it's a peice of art with lots of copper and nice fat lithium cells. The only reason to keep using lead acid is because you already have them and they haven't worn out yet.

Comment

Working...