Modbus BMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modbus BMS

Just a question about checking state of charge from BMSes - any recommendations for a BMS that can expose state of charge (in % or Ah or Wh) of a 24VDC, 100Ah battery for example over a modbus register? Thanks!

If you are referring to an FLA type battery then there really isn't any measurement except the acid level that tells you what the SOC is.

If you are talking about a Lithium chemistry battery then a BMS might be able to provide accurate SOC data. As to how that is shown, I think it is up to the owner but for me I would like to see the value in a %.

Comment

Yes a 24V LiFePO4 battery is what I'm thinking - clearly you can measure voltage but that is not really a measure of SoC - and yes ideally a percentage would be great. I think there are devices like this one: http://www.cruzpro.com/vah110.html that use Peukert's Law to determine a percentage of capacity available, but agree it's not a simple linear relationship to time or current flow.

Comment

Originally posted by jwrgorman View Post
        Yes a 24V LiFePO4 battery is what I'm thinking - clearly you can measure voltage but that is not really a measure of SoC - and yes ideally a percentage would be great. .....
        There are a lot of $100-200 BMSs that calculate SOC from Amps in and out. Daly, Chargery and a few others. Will Prowse has done a few reviews. You can find his videos on Youtube. I have an Orion Jr BMS that does that but it costs $600.
        9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Thanks Ampster that Orion gear looks awesome, will read up on those.

Comment

I use the Batrium BMS, and the REC BMS. Both of these report SOC as a % over CAN bus and can communicate with many inverters including Victron and SMA.

Comment

Working...
            X