X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNjunction
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2012

LFP voltage vs current end-amps chart

Ok, so I dug out some old notes that served me well when I wanted to know what 100% charged is.

Not that I am going to charge to 100% all the time, but I needed a baseline to make my compensatory algo's for lower levels of charge.

Here we assume a typical CC/CV charge from a STABLE source of supply, not solar. Basically, the higher the voltage, the faster the absorb cutoffs. I'll do a simple single-cell vs a typical 12v (4s) batt to make it easier to reference:

3.60v (14.4v cv) end amps = C/20
    3.55v (14.2v ) end amps = C/60
    3.50v (14.0v ) end amps = C/100
    3.45v (13.8v ) end amps = zero << conservative, but does NOT mean float!!!

Generally, going beyond the end taper current is overcharge. In fact, that's a misnomer - charge is over, BUT continuing further merely aggravates secondary reactions, which we don't want.

What you'll see here if you actually do this test with say your own gear for charge and discharge measurements, is that the higher voltage (3.6v) will get the most capacity in the shortest amount of time. BUT, the taper is so quick, you had better be on top of things, or you'll just be aggravating secondary reactions.

At the most conservative voltage, sure enough you can reach 100% charge, but that taper takes an excruciatingly long time to achieve. So much so, that in a solar situation, you'll never reach 100% before the sun goes down - depends of course on how much you have discharged from the battery first obviously.

That low 13.8v sure looks like a typical sla "float voltage" or output from a typical mobile radio power supply right? Well there's a big catch!

Sure it is "conservative", and give you plenty of time to stop charge before reaching 100%. BUT, if you charge like that, you'll be spending an awful lot of ** TIME ** going from say 98 to 100% - many hours! For all intents and purposes, that is "fully charged" enough so that you are aggravating secondary reaction stages, and you are spending waaay too much time trying to achieve that last little bit of capacity - it won't cost you today, but it will cost you down the road.

NOTE: So what does the secondary-reaction stage look like when you go beyond these taper-current stop points? A sudden rise in cell voltage, despite just sitting there at zero amps for awhile, which doesn't make sense from an electrical physics standpoint. Heh, that's right - because we are no longer dealing with charging per se, but we are now changing from battery chemistry into something quite a bit different. It's a weird concept, but I think crucial to understand.

How this secondary reaction is hidden! For many, using a BMS that puts a voltage cap set of bleeders on the cells hides the fact that you've gone beyond charging into secondary chemical reaction states by exceeding the taper current vs voltage values. In other words, the cell is ALREADY full and balanced. But then, as the voltage is rising, with no input current to accompany it coming from secondary reactions, and not normal charging, the bleeders activate and may pull the cells down to 100% charge and stop.

And we know that having a battery sitting around at 100% charge is not healthy over time. Again, we're talking about stable charge sources, not solar.

SOLAR: Ideally, a charge controller should be able to look at all those differences in the charts above, and if you actually desired a 100% charge, stop at any one of those taper currents as conditions vary. Yeah, the typical sla-based controller is not that smart to do this.

So like all things solar, reach a compromise. The simplest might be to simply stop once a voltage is reached, and not taper (or absorb) at all. Do a discharge test on your own, and see how much capacity you have. OR, perhaps stop a bit before these values to reach your desired objective (70/80/90 percent etc)

The values above are not hard facts. It is a starting point for you to test your own cells with a discharge capacity test if you want to fine tune it.

In the end, from a *time* exposure standpoint - if you have the ability to get your cells fully charge on a cyclic-standpoint, perhaps it is best to charge as fast as you can with a higher voltage, and get it over and done with. On the other hand, the lowest voltage cv setpoint may be ok for some who don't need full capacity - which can be reached given enough time, BUT watch that clock! Spending too much time per cycle to get to 100 % will cost you.

Now I see why some have recommended a middle-ground of using say 14.0 to 14.2v as their cv setpoint to make things not so "hairy edge" with high cv voltages, nor too much time getting a lot of charge in.
    Last edited by PNjunction; 12-20-2019, 05:38 AM.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Very interesting. Somewhat like the paradoxical momentary dip in voltage when a NiMh battery reaches full charge.

Have you worked out a "Absorb" voltage and then cut back to a lower "Float" voltage that can be left connected continually ?

But I didn't see any chart ??
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• PNjunction
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2012

Heh, sorry my chart was just those 4 text lines.

WARNING: to lurkers - unless a mobile power supply is also designed to charge batteries (most aren't), they tend to go *POOF* when an external voltage is applied to it's output terminals.

Warning 2: Likewise, many lab power supplies are not designed to charge batteries, and may go *POOF* when they see an external voltage on their terminals too. See other references on how to use a lab-supply for charging batteries properly. If you just wildly twist knobs - you'll kill it in no time. Covered elsewhere.

Re the secondary voltage rise when no current is flowing - aka secondary reactions: astute readers may wonder how the heck I could see that if my CV voltage was set - how could it possibly rise higher?

When I upgraded from my 20ah pack, with no bms, I decided to learn from it. I had it nicely top balanced, and only got ragged at the bottom at about 90% DOD, which I don't go to - my LVD was set more like 80%. Cycled regularly and no problems.

Now came time to learn from purposeful abuse: I let it charge up at 14.4v on a "pack level" basis. That is, no bms, and just a two-terminal charge across the 4S pack. But this time, instead of cutting off the charge when it tapered to C/20 current, I let it go further. All the way down to practically zero.

So I raised the supply to 14.6v. Still, no current was flowing. Lets let it go. Will I smell perfume odor from an electrolyte gassing? I wanted to find out.

So it sat there for about 30 minutes at 14.6v cv, and no current flowing. THEN, my flukes which I had attached to each cell monitoring voltage, yelped out with a single beep. Ok, not too unusual when they are near a digit change. I didn't even look at them.

Then.... beep............beep.....beep...beep..beep.beep.be ep.beep Voltage started to shoot up on two of the inner cells in the pack. How can this be with NO CURRENT flowing????

That's when I realized that mere application of voltage, when the pack is already fully charged, leads to quick degradation from overcharge - and in this case all it took was 30 minutes. Larger capacity cells may have not complained so early, but these little 20ah cells did quickly.

Anyway, short story long, I learned a lot from my LFP learner-bank. Costly, but I had to do it in order to learn.

Comment

• PNjunction
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2012

New chart:

It might be best to use these values for calculation instead since you might be dealing with cells smaller than 20ah and not get the wrong idea...

3.60v (14.4v cv) end amps = C(ah) * .05
        3.55v (14.2v ) end amps = C * .016
        3.50v (14.0v ) end amps = C * .01
        3.45v (13.8v ) end amps = zero << conservative, but does NOT mean float!!!

Anyway, so unless you are charging for the first time, or are doing a capacity test, you normally don't want to allow the cells to absorb all the way up to 100% SOC on a regular basis. And as cells age, these values might get tighter.

Back to one reason I derate my initial cell capacity by 30% for purposes of doing power budgets. I only draw down to 80% DOD, and perhaps only charge up to 90% SOC. And that's when new - I want to give myself a fudge factor for aging 5 years down the road! Assuming my load requirements haven't changed/increased in all that time.

With LFP's reputed cycle life, there's plenty to go around to do discharge capacity tests on a regular basis just to make sure things are staying healthy.

Comment

• PNjunction
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2012

Re: floating.

Not advised since at some point you WILL overcharge the cells if running at 3.45v or higher cv per cell. It might take awhile, but it will be done.

BUT, there has been no long-term conclusive study for those that have attempted float at CV voltages well below 3.45v, where it seems impossible to obtain a full charge.

Thing is, in my experience, even with no current flowing, the mere application of a steady voltage , even under conditions of never being able to obtain a full charge, *MAY* be increasing the likelyhood of aggravating secondary reactions. Maybe you won't see it this year. Or next year, but who knows what a low float voltage does 5 years from now? Nobody to my knowledge has done that kind of long-term test.

Basically those that are doing that are buying batteries and not really using them - just wanting to keep them in the garage perpetually on a frankenstein kind of life support.

Comment

• Sojourner1
            • May 2018

Interesting what you say or see in your experience.

I have no fancy equipment for testing, no shore power to plug into permanently just everyday sunup to sundown time for charging. As a fulltimer RVer traveling the mid-west, western USA with no big fancy system just a simple 12v 500ah GBS (Elite Power Solutions). 1,280w solar (8 160w panels wired 2s4p), Magnum PT100, Magnum 3000w hybrid inverter.

Over the years have recorded misc readings from the the Me-Arc display and the EMS/CPU display from the batteries. Sort of a moving target baseline (if it's even possible) to see as the batteries age if the SOC, voltage strays (decreases) knowing it will happen but if it will be seen comparing these # through the years.

The batteries aren't abused or pampered just used as needed living off them at whatever SOC/ DOD. Longest period of time in a PSOC is 40+ days bouncing between 25%-90% using the microwave or 12 cup coffee maker at 28% SOC.

If needed I will run the eu2200i for an hour or 2 for a hold over charge, charging at 100ah that is enough to get me through till solar can do its job carrying the loads or charging.

Only 44 months with 500+ full cycles on the system now and so far the #s seem to coencide with each other through out this period. Lfp isn't for everyone with cost or "unknowns" but certainly like the weight savings and quick ability to take a charge if needed.

Charging parameters Bulk 14.2v, absorb 14.2v (10 minutes can't be turned off), Float 13.6v

Comment

Working...