X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Salts
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2019

Originally posted by Ampster

Yes, one would hope that 20 Amps could do a lot in that situation. It could keep my refrig and a few lights on during a blackout. At least that is what a bmneighbor did recently with his RV.
    We run 2 fridges, 3 freezers, a well pump, 3 computers, sump pump, house fans, lights, and a television on our 5000 watt portable Coleman (natural gas) generator, and its not even putting out full power. I've always considered 5000 watts with as much surge capacity as I can get, to be the goal.

Darn generator won't run the air conditioner because it can't supply the startup surge. I'm hoping a couple of Sunny Island 6048's will do it.

Comment

• Ampster
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Salts

Darn generator won't run the air conditioner because it can't supply the startup surge. I'm hoping a couple of Sunny Island 6048's will do it.
      Have you considered a soft start device? My next compressor is going to be inverter based. That way I get soft start and modulation to boot.
      9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• Salts
        Solar Fanatic
        • Sep 2019

Originally posted by Ampster

Have you considered a soft start device? My next compressor is going to be inverter based. That way I get soft start and modulation to boot.
        I thought about putting a soft start on the air conditioner and the air compressor, its an option. Thing is, I'm in Michigan and neither are all that important. Plus I have a full basement that is always cool.

On those very rare occasions where power is out and its super hot outside, its a fine excuse to go clean up and organize downstairs.

Comment

Working...