X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ampster
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2017

Originally posted by somawheels

If only there were lithium batterries that automatically refused to charge at low temperatures. This way there would not be any risk of accidentally ruining the battery.
    I would not be surprised to find out that some of the more expensive drop-in lithium batteries can do that. My BMS has a couple of temp sensors but I have never checked to see if it can control the charge ready signal with a temperature low point. That is probably not a difficult thing to do with a couple of redundant thermostats and some relays on the charge ready control line.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• somawheels
      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Ampster

I would not be surprised to find out that some of the more expensive drop-in lithium batteries can do that. My BMS has a couple of temp sensors but I have never checked to see if it can control the charge ready signal with a temperature low point. That is probably not a difficult thing to do with a couple of redundant thermostats and some relays on the charge ready control line.
      It seems you are correct! SimpliPHI and Victron batteries do this (Although for Victron, you have to buy the BMS separately).
      Last edited by somawheels; 08-21-2019, 06:16 PM.

Comment

• Ampster
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2017

SimpliPHI and Victron batteries do this (Although for Victron, you have to buy the BMS separately).
        Then the question is do you want to pay the price for a SimpliPhi or assemble your own to save over 50%.

Comment

• somawheels
          • Jan 2015

50%?! Surely companies arent charging 50% for simply assembling the battery for you?

Comment

• Ampster
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jun 2017

50%?! Surely companies arent charging 50% for simply assembling the battery for you?
            Oh no they don't do that. LOL They sell you a nice package with a bow on it. Actually the bow is the guarantee and the software that makes if plug and play. The prices I have seen for those drop batteries is USA$1000 per kWh. You can buy the components for probably $500 per kWh.

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

Oh dear, thats terrible. Were these lithium systems using Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries? I had read they were relatively safe compared to lead acid.
              You were mislead. LFP batteries are the safest of the Li family. They are not as safe as lead acid. It seems every month, a new way for Li batteries to fail, appears.

The shortcomings of Lead Acid batteries have been well know for 70+ years. The shortcomings of poor Li installations, improper BMS choice, not matching battery to BMS to charge source to load, just keep multiplying. A well engineered LFP system (not only the battery, but the whole system) is pretty decent but you still have hazards below 40F / 5C and if it does light off, you have some very toxic fumes to worry about.
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• somawheels
                • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Mike90250

You were mislead. LFP batteries are the safest of the Li family. They are not as safe as lead acid. It seems every month, a new way for Li batteries to fail, appears.

The shortcomings of Lead Acid batteries have been well know for 70+ years. The shortcomings of poor Li installations, improper BMS choice, not matching battery to BMS to charge source to load, just keep multiplying. A well engineered LFP system (not only the battery, but the whole system) is pretty decent but you still have hazards below 40F / 5C and if it does light off, you have some very toxic fumes to worry about.
                Reading this has put me off the idea of assembling my own LFP battery. I dont have enough experience with this kind of thing to be confident in doing it properly.
                Last edited by somawheels; 08-22-2019, 02:07 PM.

Comment

• Raul
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • May 2015

Victron have the new edition (black case) see on they're website, with bms integrated.
                  Also another alternative to that, is ultra max monolit blocks of 12v also with bms integrated. This is what I chose for my campervan. A 12v 200ah lifepo4.
                  Another alternative, is winston cells with bms, you can find them in EU for less than 400 quid per kWh.
                  I have a friend off grid, that charges Nissan Leaf bank kept in a unheated garage with minus 15-20C outside.

Comment

• donkey07
                    • Aug 2019

HI Lifepo4,
                    Not sure if this helps but we just installed a BYD Li Ion battery with our Arrays as a stand alone system in an area which reaches up to -9deg c over night. Overall the performance of the battery has been excellent but if the temp drops to far for to long (usually 2 days) causing the core of the battery to become to cold the battery management system limits the inverters keeping the battery to about 55% in order to protect it. We found that if the battery does become limited by the management system simply heating up the area around the battery fixed the issue and ensured the battery charges to properly.

Comment

Working...