12v Lifepo4 and charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12v Lifepo4 and charger

Hi, i just trying to get a 12v Lifepo4 setup for the house just for emergencies. To power 12v marine fan that draw about 0.340mah in low 0.440mah on high.

anyone have any experience with this battery
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F263982490140
    the price seem great.

also I saw this charger Tecmate OptiMATE TM-291
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007GRGUJU..._euz6BbSD1VX40

It say it have some type of BMS reset is that something to consider or more like a gimmick.
    other charger don

My crystal ball sees a fire in your future.

When Li batteries are not managed properly, they fail. When they fail, they mostly burn.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

You say that for the charger or..?

they would mostly be used for small draw applications.
      Emergencies or in the garage when I do work on small project from time to time.

They would hardly ever get discharged much.
      so I can charge them once a month or every two months.

i am also considering the Headway 12 or 15Ah.
      Last edited by Inxider; 11-12-2018, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Li batteries are destroyed by under or over charging. when you start using cells outside the pre-packed device they ship in, you are on your own virgin ground, and must accept the consequences of your actions.
        There is no safe way for me to instruct you how the bare cells can safely be used.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

I can vouch for the Tecmate Optimate TM-291 in your application. I have no experience with your choice of LiFeP04 batt, but the Optimate will charge it safely.

Unlike a "standard" cc/cv charger, the 291 is really designed for LFP. It knows when a battery exceeds the normal LFP charging parameters and will shut down and error out if it sees anything unusual, whereas a generic lead-acid charger would just keep on trucking. The "bms" reset means that is knows how to *gently* burp cells that may have fallen below any internal bms cutoff back into service. It will also test them after charge when left to do a long-term evaluation.

AND, recovery will take awhile as it should SLOWLY bringing the battery up to 3.2v per cell before allowing for full current to begin. Thus, if your rested voltage is below 12.8v, it will take awhile at very low current before it senses 12.8v, so as not to create an ion-storm at higher levels of discharge, and specifically look for internal resistance problems like shorted dendrites.

Works best with "4-cell" or 4S batteries. The more batteries there are in serial / parallel, then the less effective the overall smarts will be, as a bad cell can more easily hide amongst all the others. Thus, keep your cell-count down for best effect.

Highly recommended. Not your usual "dumb" LFP charger. Note that the "ampmatic" feature means that for small cells (like 2.5ah or so), the charger will cut back on the charge current and not blast the full 5A into it. I've charged between 2.5ah to 20ah batts, and watched it do it's thing.

Unlike a conventional CC/CV charger, once it reaches about 14.2v, it will oscillate between 13.7 and 14.2 with pulses, rather than just do a CV taper. Supposedly this helps balance cells by allowing laggards to charge during the initial charge slope of each pulse. Not perfect, but better than nothing. And again, the more cells you have, the less effective it is.

Even if the battery is total crap, the Tecmate-Optimate is your smartest and safest choice as a "dumb" LFP charger.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
            Li batteries are destroyed by under or over charging. when you start using cells outside the pre-packed device they ship in, you are on your own virgin ground, and must accept the consequences of your actions.
            There is no safe way for me to instruct you how the bare cells can safely be used.
            I think you misread my post I am not trying to disassemble the pack at all no way.

it was more like if anyone have experience with that battery brand as they seem to be inexpensive compared to others.

and then on the charger BMS reset feature. As that seem to be the only charger with such feature.
            in case the battery ever get drained to the point the BMS kicks in.

Last edited by Inxider; 11-13-2018, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PNjunction View Post
              I can vouch for the Tecmate Optimate TM-291 in your application. I have no experience with your choice of LiFeP04 batt, but the Optimate will charge it safely.

Unlike a "standard" cc/cv charger, the 291 is really designed for LFP. It knows when a battery exceeds the normal LFP charging parameters and will shut down and error out if it sees anything unusual, whereas a generic lead-acid charger would just keep on trucking. The "bms" reset means that is knows how to *gently* burp cells that may have fallen below any internal bms cutoff back into service. It will also test them after charge when left to do a long-term evaluation.

AND, recovery will take awhile as it should SLOWLY bringing the battery up to 3.2v per cell before allowing for full current to begin. Thus, if your rested voltage is below 12.8v, it will take awhile at very low current before it senses 12.8v, so as not to create an ion-storm at higher levels of discharge, and specifically look for internal resistance problems like shorted dendrites.

Works best with "4-cell" or 4S batteries. The more batteries there are in serial / parallel, then the less effective the overall smarts will be, as a bad cell can more easily hide amongst all the others. Thus, keep your cell-count down for best effect.

Highly recommended. Not your usual "dumb" LFP charger. Note that the "ampmatic" feature means that for small cells (like 2.5ah or so), the charger will cut back on the charge current and not blast the full 5A into it. I've charged between 2.5ah to 20ah batts, and watched it do it's thing.

Unlike a conventional CC/CV charger, once it reaches about 14.2v, it will oscillate between 13.7 and 14.2 with pulses, rather than just do a CV taper. Supposedly this helps balance cells by allowing laggards to charge during the initial charge slope of each pulse. Not perfect, but better than nothing. And again, the more cells you have, the less effective it is.

Even if the battery is total crap, the Tecmate-Optimate is your smartest and safest choice as a "dumb" LFP charger.

you just sold one more

There just not much info on this charger out there, reviews.
              I will give it a try with my current Lifepo4 and see my current battery only is giving out 1Ah out of 20Ah is a Sun brand the blue one from ebay and other places.
              I never abused this battery nor did I ever drained it all the way I think the internal BMS went south.

That why I am looking for a new 12v Lifepo to replace this one.
              But the price on the Energized Outdoor seem to good, or it might be because of the low C rating about 20Amp for discharge but that would be more than enough for my usage.

Comment

Working...
              X