Tesla battery pack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 355spider View Post
    You absolutely do not need to cook Tesla batteries. I'm testing with 100 constant amp draws the temperature doesn't go up more than 1 degree.
    You probably meant "cool," but yes -- your data matches my experience, and those of many others. They won't "cook" if they're in good health!

Comment

• Originally posted by nebster View Post

Yeah, it's almost a worst-case scenario: lots of great historical experience, but absolutely no contrition, no ability to carry on a measured debate with other adults, and a willingness to double down on his outdated or mistaken understandings when push comes to shove. (And a lack of timely, real-world experience.) I think the rest of us can carry on without him, though, just fine.
      In his own words maybe this is what's happening?
      Originally posted by Sunking View Post
      ..............Sort of like when you turn 55 to 60 years old, you slow down, and then aging accelerates very quickly.
      9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• Anyone seen the latest amateur attempt at re-using Telsa battery packs? They electrified an old Disney vehicle and had bit of an issue while it was inside their shop.

At the first signs of fire, the guys tries to blow out the flames like it's a birthday candle! At around 6:18 in the video you see him hit with flaming debris as he keeps getting close with a fire extinguisher trying to put it out or manage the exploding cells(10) My first Tesla Battery Fire - YouTube - Google Chrome 11272018 64329 AM.jpg.

Dave W. Gilbert AZ
        6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• Folks wanting those "cheap" used batteries from some unknown donor vehicle keep telling themselves it won't happen to them. Nice light show though.

Comment

• This has been a fun post to follow, but seriously.
            Does anyone on the forum have any experience with the TESLA Powerwall V2?
            I am interested in the install experience as well as the performance.
            33-CS6P250,1-SMA6000US,SMAwebconn,Egauge

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Sousa View Post
              Does anyone on the forum have any experience with the TESLA Powerwall V2?
              I posted a response on the other thread where you posted the same question.

Here is a link to one thread on TMC:
              https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...3#post-3202431

There are a number of threads about the Powerwall on the Tesla Energy section of that Forum.

Comment

• Hi All,

I dont have any first hand experience with the Tesla Powerwall's as we chose not to be a Tesla installer (yet) as they dont allow enough leeway to do whats required to do it properly on the install side costs wise. They want to set an install price but it just dont work in the real world.

We have been using LG Chem batteries with mixed results, there have been all types of issues so we have been preferring to stick to doing the solar because of the economics, in OZ power is expensive so solar panels mostly pay for themselves here in 3 yrs where the payback time of a battery is still a bit of an unknown as I dont know of any one who has had a tesla or LG battery running off their piddly little 5kW system for 10 years yet. One of the major issues that pretty much all clients I speak to are oblivious too is a thing called winter. In winter you have to make a choice between two turd sandwiches. One, let your battery be flat pretty much most of the time or two.....and boy twos a doosy, you can pay full price to take power from the grid to charge your battery all the time, during winter.

So the jury is still out about these new fangled batterys. In other news some old heads may remember we did a 30kW hybrid system at the boss's place a few years back and used cheap chinese batterys to see how they would go, well they went **** house. We pretty much re jigged his whole set up with these BYD batterys and Victon gear, so time will tell, cheers

Comment

• Originally posted by solar pete View Post
                  Hi All,

I dont have any first hand experience with the Tesla Powerwall's as we chose not to be a Tesla installer (yet) as they dont allow enough leeway to do whats required to do it properly on the install side costs wise. They want to set an install price but it just dont work in the real world.

We have been using LG Chem batteries with mixed results, there have been all types of issues so we have been preferring to stick to doing the solar because of the economics, in OZ power is expensive so solar panels mostly pay for themselves here in 3 yrs where the payback time of a battery is still a bit of an unknown as I dont know of any one who has had a tesla or LG battery running off their piddly little 5kW system for 10 years yet. One of the major issues that pretty much all clients I speak to are oblivious too is a thing called winter. In winter you have to make a choice between two turd sandwiches. One, let your battery be flat pretty much most of the time or two.....and boy twos a doosy, you can pay full price to take power from the grid to charge your battery all the time, during winter.

So the jury is still out about these new fangled batterys. In other news some old heads may remember we did a 30kW hybrid system at the boss's place a few years back and used cheap chinese batterys to see how they would go, well they went **** house. We pretty much re jigged his whole set up with these BYD batterys and Victon gear, so time will tell, cheers
                  Thanx for the update and opinion by someone who probably knows more about battery/storage and residential interface than a lot of DIY yahoos.

Seems like small/residential scale electrical energy storage is getting closer to prime time but not there yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by solar pete View Post
                    We have been using LG Chem batteries with mixed results, there have been all types of issues so we have been preferring to stick to doing the solar because of the economics
                    Hey solar pete, are these Resu home units you've tried? Can you tell us more about the kinds of issues you've run into?

Comment

• Ampster
                      I appreciate the input
                      the TMC site does have some good client experience info.
                      Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by nebster View Post

Hey solar pete, are these Resu home units you've tried? Can you tell us more about the kinds of issues you've run into?
                        Yeah we have been using these, https://www.solarcart.com.au/lg-chem/

Some issues have been
                        they dont work off grid as in we cant get them to work nicely with generators, we have tried a few and they just dont like them
                        software glitches, we are on I think the 3rd software upgrade
                        they dont make financial sense
                        Winter,the turd sandwich scenario

Cheers

Comment

• We have been trying to try- can I say that?- the LG Chem but they are not available. My last order placed 6 months ago is still not fulfilled and we buy LG solar modules by the container. I am looking at the Tesla and Sonnen right now - at least i can a get a couple of those

Comment

• Interesting. I wonder if the two things could be related (software and deployment issues, availability).

LG's industrial pouch/sheet manufacturing process seemed like it would have a chance at making some of the "best" LFP cells. I wonder if their core cell manufacturing is doing okay.

Comment

• Originally posted by azdave View Post
                              Anyone seen the latest amateur attempt at re-using Telsa battery packs? They electrified an old Disney vehicle and had bit of an issue while it was inside their shop.........
                              I saw a post on diyelectriccar forum that indicated that the cause of the fire was major over charging of the Tesla modules. They did not spontaneously catch on fire. They were being charged by a FLA forklift charger.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Sousa View Post
                                We have been trying to try- can I say that?- the LG Chem but they are not available. My last order placed 6 months ago is still not fulfilled and we buy LG solar modules by the container. I am looking at the Tesla and Sonnen right now - at least i can a get a couple of those
                                Small scale /residential electrical energy storage seems not ready for prime time at this time.

Comment

Working...
                                X